Girls on tour

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Re: Girls on tour

Post by Gob »

LOL!! Poor SMF....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Here you go, the climb does the far edge of the shiny raised slab in the centre of the image. It starts on the big ledge half way up, and finishes just to the left of the guy in the white t-shirt. She'd have been lowered off on the rope from there.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sean

Post by Sean »

Sorry mate, you will never convince me (or I suspect many others here) that it is safe and appropriate to climb that with an unprotected toddler on your back.

...even if they do sweep it every day to get rid of any loose rocks or other debris... :nana
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Post by Gob »

No worries, I am content in my knowledge.

I just hope she never takes the kid up an escalator in that thing, if it leaps out of it there could be blood and guts and brains everywhere.

And then the tigers will get them

Sean

Post by Sean »

So climbing a rockface is like using an escalator? It is simply a way to get from A to B? ;)

Whoulda thunk it! :nana
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Not at all, but if I am to be believed, then the "falling rocks smashing poor baby to bits" argument doesn't really apply, (no more than the risk of slates falling off rooftops would necessitate a helmet while walking about town.)

So that leaves the "baby leaping from the back pack thing and smashing itself to bits on the rocks below," arguemnt. Well if it's a risk on the rockface, it's a risk on a set of stairs, or even worse falling off on an escalator and baby getting ground up in the gearings.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You see all those other times your hands aren't busy constantly preventing yourself from smashing to bits on the rocks below. so you could likely intervene before the baby gets out.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Gotcha! ;)

Sean

Post by Sean »

You've forgotten about the 'baby possibly being crushed between the mother and the rock' thing... IIRC even some other climbers on that forum somebody linked to agreed that it was a possibility. :nana

Gob

Post by Gob »

True, and a mother walking down the road could trip and crush the baby. She wouldn't even be on a safety rope!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Tight rope from directly above, less chance of any movement in any direction than a person walking along a pavement.

Chance of falling downwards, nil, chance of falling sideways, nil, chance of doing the sort of acrobatics which would be necessary to get the kid between you and the rock, nil x 10.

Sean

Post by Sean »

LMAO - I think when you try to convince me that rock climbing is safer than walking down the road I think it's time for you and I to agree to disagree on this one mate. :lol:

I can see where you're coming from... If it was my hobby I might be inclined to stick up for it too. But if nothing else, it should give you an insight into why some of our American friends stick to their guns regarding their guns. :D

Gob

Post by Gob »

heh, next time you're down, I'll take you all to the climbing wall. Pud'll love it! And it should clear up a few little points. But I agree, time to call Pax on this one.

Sean

Post by Sean »

So... I win then? :lol:

Gob

Post by Gob »

When you get down off the top of the climbing wall, without any tears, I may allow you a little modest victory.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Just for the record, I've climbed -- not a lot -- I quickly discovered it wasn't my thing -- I don't do heights (especially not hanging from a rope on a wall or a sheer cliff face).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

If it's so this outdoor cliff is considered 100% safe to carry a child up; then why isn't that practice allowed at any indoor climbing ranges? ...Where the sport is said to be even safer (130%?)

rubato

Post by rubato »

In the somewhat less misspent part of my youth I did some rock climbing. I'm voting with GOB and a more intimate knowledge of the sport and local conditions in this case.

This looks like something more like climbing a ladder.

Just keep the fucking meddlers out.

yrs,
rubato

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

So, why isn't that practice allowed at any indoor climbing ranges?

...I mean, you think those folks who run those things know anything about safe conditions?

Gob

Post by Gob »