Going solar is paying off!

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Sue U

Going solar is paying off!

Post by Sue U »

So last year we got into this program to install solar electric generating panels on our roof; the state subsidized a portion of the cost through a rebate/grant, the federal government subsidized a portion through a tax credit, and the remainder is currently on a no-interest no-payment loan, which comes due in the fall and which we'll re-fi with a low-interest loan, payments to be financed by savings/revenue from the solar generating system.

Last month, even with all the rain and cloud-cover in March, our electric bill was $9 (down from an average of about $200). Also, we sent enough electricity out to the grid to obtain one solar renewable energy credit, which we then sold on the exchange for $668. Just got this month's bill: a $2.52 "service charge" for maintaining the line, that's it. And we'll have another SREC in our account at the end of the month.

This summer, we'll put a high-efficiency wood-burning insert into our fireplace (tax credit available for that, too), and in the winter will heat the house with the wood from the trees we cut to make sunlight available to the solar panels. With any luck, it will nearly eliminate our gas bill (the bulk of which is for heat).

This conversion to "green energy" is awesome!!
GAH!

kristina

Re: Going solar is paying off!

Post by kristina »

Wow! Congratulations, Sue.

I'd love to be able to do that. Sadly, we live in a rental that is (IMNSHO) going to be a tear-down for whoever owns it next, and I can't imagine the landlord would want to invest in anything like what you've done.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I'd like a solar mortgage please.

Gob

Post by Gob »

We're in the same position as Kristina, we could make a killing otherwise.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I might consider it except for two things:
New England weather is not exactly conducive to solar power.
I will not despoil the roof of my 160-year-old house with that carbunkle.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm not eligible for the government rebate. To qualify you need to switch your hot water to solar energy and my water is gas heated.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Timster

Post by Timster »

Jarlaxle wrote:I might consider it except for two things:
New England weather is not exactly conducive to solar power.
I will not despoil the roof of my 160-year-old house with that carbunkle.
And who can blame you.

I don't know whether that particular program includes it; but solar tech does not necessarily mean it must be attatched to the building benefitting from it. I'm sure that it would raise the costs significantly but it can be done.

Just saying.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

tyro

Post by tyro »

This summer, we'll put a high-efficiency wood-burning insert into our fireplace
About 5 years ago we bought this

We had made the house so air tight that even with an outside air supply, the fireplace would release smoke into the house. This Regency seemed to be the only solution.

It wasn’t a mistake.

We have not needed to use the oil furnace since, although we do leave the furnace fan running to help move the heat throughout the house and we had to add some electrical heater in the basement.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Even in New England solar can help. My house is 110 years old, but modern windows and a reconstructed sunporch help warm the downstairs on bright days and doesn't leak much heat on cold ones. Upstairs in my master "suite" I have 9 windows and glass sliders (with water views on both sides) and it is appreciably warmer than down, even on cold days, as long as there is some sun. It really isn't much cooler on cloudy days, but I'll get some heat retaining drapes for the sliders. Mostly I want them to muffle the noise of the Nor'Easters. Driving rain against all that glass is LOUD!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sounds heavenly. I love the sound of rain on the window, a good book, and a log fire.

Hang about, what the hell am I doing in Aus?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Guinevere wrote:Even in New England solar can help. My house is 110 years old, but modern windows and a reconstructed sunporch help warm the downstairs on bright days and doesn't leak much heat on cold ones. Upstairs in my master "suite" I have 9 windows and glass sliders (with water views on both sides) and it is appreciably warmer than down, even on cold days, as long as there is some sun. It really isn't much cooler on cloudy days, but I'll get some heat retaining drapes for the sliders. Mostly I want them to muffle the noise of the Nor'Easters. Driving rain against all that glass is LOUD!
My house doesn't get all THAT much sun...my property is mostly wooded, with several century-old trees shading part of the house except in the winter. I do have modern thermal windows (that LOOK like the original double-hung wood-framed windows), a more-efficient (oil) furnace that replaced the leaking pre-WW1-era converted coal burner (still feeding 100-year-old steam radiators), and an insulated attic. Sun on the house does noticeably warm it (dark wooden shingle siding & a dark roof), but it just doesn't get that much, especially in the summer. A ceiling fan was a BIG help in keeping my big living & dining rooms (which are open to the peak of the roof easily 25' up) warm, especially while using my woodstove. With all the trees, I don't really hear much rain on the windows, though it can get noisy in the living room in heavy rain.

My hot water is heated by the furnace, and I wouldn't ever change that!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I've got no fireplace and no trees, but lots of beach cobble and sand and beach grasses. Will plant some rugosa at some point, but right now I'm still trying to unpack and get the inside ready for a housewarming party later this summer.

Jarl, since you know my town, I'm down on Atlantic now -- between the pond and the ocean. It's really a little piece of paradise. With lots of SUN!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I don't know your town THAT well...though I was in the town about a month ago.

Did you ever hook up with the bus to the ferry dock?

rubato

Post by rubato »

Sue U wrote:"...

This conversion to "green energy" is awesome!!

Photovoltaic is probably* 'green' but switching from gas to wood burning is the opposite of 'green'.

yrs,
rubato

*I haven't seen the total breakdown of energy costs including producing the cells. I've heard from co-workers who are better versed that with the current expected lifetimes of solar panels it close to a wash.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Not true. First, the load I'm taking off the traditional fossil fuel powered electric generation system saves the equivalent in greenhouse gas emissions as planting over an acre of trees per year -- and the warranted life of my solar panel system is 25 years, so that's a lot of trees. Moreover, wood as a fuel source is itself carbon neutral. And since the trees are already cut anyway, their carbon-sequestration days are over, and they'll be releasing that same carbon back into the environment whether they rot or burn. Modern high-efficiency wood stoves produce very litle particulate pollution. And even if the environmental effects were a complete wash, I'm still making money on the deal.
GAH!

rubato

Post by rubato »

For the time being I will concede that solar panels are a good idea (especially since I'm paid to invent better materials to make them with). But it must be said that the question is still not answered with certainty.

"Modern high efficiency wood stoves" create a shitload more pollution than the equivalent energy from a gas-fired plant. Calling it 'carbon neutral' is rhetorical crap.

The analysis is simple. What would happen to the environment if everyone (or even a lot of people) used wood vs gas? Massive lung disease is what would happen.

yrs,
rubaot

dales

Post by dales »

I have to go with rubato on this one.

Here in the BA we have so-called "spare the air days" which means NO burning of anything is allowed. The air quickly fills up with smoke during the stagnant winter air days. When I lived in Santa Clara County this was a real problem. People would burn wood on winter nites more as a thing to do than for real warmth. The air son became "sooty" and stung my eyes.

;)

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

tyro

Post by tyro »

First off, these new wood burners are FAR more efficient. Ours has the EPA approval.

On top of what you think of wood burning, consider that the construction of our house doomed us to oil heat.

Go ahead and tell me that oil is environmentally “greener”.

I can get several cord of wood without a drop of oil falling into the Gulf
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.