WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO Big Weekend For Cardiff

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Reality Bytes

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO Big Weekend For Cardiff

Post by Reality Bytes »

Heck of a weekend for Cardiff supporters of both shaped balls ....

Today Cardiff City Vs Blackpool Championship Play Off
Billed as the richest match in club football, an estimated £90m is at stake in the winner-takes-all Championship play-off final, which will propel one of these sides into the big time.

For Blackpool, who started the season among the favourites for relegation and have not been in the top flight since 1971, promotion would be an amazing achievement. It would also see them go from the bottom division to the Premier League in the space of nine years. And it would be a crowning moment for boss Ian Holloway, who tasted play-off agony at Cardiff's hands while QPR boss in 2003.

City's extra-time victory at the Millennium Stadium that day took them into the second tier for the first time in 18 years. Now they are looking to go a step further and compete in the top division for the first time since 1962. Manager Dave Jones is hoping to repeat his 2003 play-off triumph, when he took Wolves up. His position at Cardiff was in doubt after their capitulation resulted in them being nudged out of the top six on the final day of last season. One year on, he could be about to seal his place in the club's folklore.

While Blackpool have defied the odds to get this far, Cardiff have defied serious off-the-field problems. Their financial future has been uncertain all season, but they now have a chance to hit the jackpot and emphatically wipe out their debts
Tomorrow: Toulon vs Cardiff Blues Amlin Cup Final
Cardiff Blues cannot be accused of following in the footsteps of many predecessors as they contemplate what lies ahead in Marseille on Sunday where they face Toulon in the Amlin Challenge Cup Final.

Not for Dai Young's side the comfortable route of making their home ground a fortress and sneaking occasional wins away from home. Instead they have become trendsetters in top-flight sport, having won their last eight away games, including the 55-20 Cup quarter-final at Newcastle, followed by an even more impressive 18-15 win in the mud and rain at Wasps.

In that last triumph the Blues overcame the disadvantage of conditions that should have undermined the off-loading style that has made them such a potent threat since the turn of the year. Those factors - away wins and beating the opposition and conditions - have shown the Blues capable of bucking trends. And that, allied with the confidence boosted by recent form, is what they hope can carry them to victory against Toulon's star-studded French Top 14 side.

Having already tasted defeat in a Challenge Cup final, Wales and British and Irish Lions prop Gethin Jenkins says Toulon will be under greater pressure at Stade Velodrome while the Blues can take a more relaxed mindset to the south of France. Jenkins and fly-half Ceri Sweeney played in Pontypridd's 25-22 defeat by Sale in the 2002 Challenge Cup final and the prop says: "On the road we've built a lot of confidence. I don't know what it is - we've gone there, got the job done, been pretty relaxed on the road. "Having the minority of fans has spurred us on - when you're back's against the wall there's no pressure to win away from home. "I think Sunday's the same. All the pressure is on Toulon. They've played a few home games there. We ground out a win against Wasps and it's really put us in good stead for this weekend "Everyone's expecting them to turn up and beat us quite easily so we know how we can put our game on them and we're confident we can compete and get a win.

"I don't think the Wasps conditions suited the way we've been playing. For the five weeks before that we'd been playing some good, expansive rugby and then we had to resort to the conditions for that game. "That was all it was about that day. We didn't care how we did it, it was about winning the game. They didn't play much rugby and we struggled to play a bit ourselves because of the conditions. "But we ground out a win and it's really put us in good stead for this weekend. "So we're hoping the good weather out there [Marseille] and the firm surface will suit us."

However, in 15 years of trying, no Welsh team has won European silverware. Glorious failure was the outcome for Pontypridd in 2002 and Cardiff RFC in the inaugural 1996 Heineken Cup final when they took Toulouse to extra time before succumbing 21-18. Caerphilly competed in the now-defunct third-tier 2003 European Shield competition and were a comfortable second best in a 40-12 defeat by Castres.

But failure on the big Heineken Cup stage has caused most angst among Welsh rugby fans, players and officials. For all the effort and sacrifice that went into the creation of at first five and then four professional teams, there has been nothing but disappointment in Europe's biggest cross-border tournament. The vastly superior budgets available to French clubs and fluctuations in the comparative value of sterling against Euro have undoubtedly contributed to Welsh teams' fates.

It could be the same on Sunday with Blues boss Dai Young pointing out Toulon have been able to mimic the likes of Munster and Leinster by effectively running two squads - one for domestic purposes and the other to take on the challenge of Europe. However, in Toulon's case it seems their best resources have been ploughed into the Top 14 that brought second place in the regular season before play-off extra-time defeat by Clermont Auvergne on Sunday. That leaves Toulon's mental state somewhat of a mystery. Will they view Sunday's clash as a chance to redeem their season or a shallow reminder of the Top 14 crown that got away?

Jenkins, his team-mates and Welsh rugby's ever-hopeful but so far disappointed fans will find out soon enough.
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!! ALLEZ CARDIFFFFF CARDIFFFFF ALLEZ LES BLEUS
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

The Hen

Re: Big Weekend For Cardiff

Post by The Hen »

I was once in Cardiff when a big match was on. Cardiff won as I remember.

I was there with my Mum and the Hatch just before I got married.

We played "Spot the sober person" on the street at the end of that game. It was fun.
:lol:
Bah!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Sober Welshmen? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Reality Bytes wrote:H

Not for Dai Young's side the comfortable route of making their home ground a fortress and sneaking occasional wins away from home.

The coach's theme tune?

Good luck Cardiff, bring some pride to Wales...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Yesterday before kick off my boss sent an email in to radio 5 live and copied me in on it -
Dear Radio 5 Live,

As a Rector in Wiltshire, I'm doing a wedding this afternoon 2 pm. I'll be wearing a Tangerine rope chord around my Cassock Alb, hoping to get back home in time for the kick-off. Extra prayers being offered, Blackpool to win 3 v 2.

God Bless,

Rev XXXX XXXXX
Blackpool twice came from behind to defeat Cardiff and reach the Premier League for the first time after an engaging and, at times, breathtaking final at a sun-soaked Wembley.

The Tangerines won 3-2, with all the goals coming during an opening half of unbelievable excitement and occasionally awful defending.

Michael Chopra and Joe Ledley twice put Cardiff ahead with crisp strikes but a Charlie Adam free-kick and a close-range finish from Gary Taylor-Fletcher drew the Lancashire side level on each occasion - before Brett Ormerod struck the winner shortly before the interval with a low strike.

The result completes a remarkable season for Blackpool, who can now plan for the top-flight for the first time since the 1970-71 campaign

The result was perhaps a little harsh on the Bluebirds, who struck the woodwork twice through Michael Chopra.

Manager Dave Jones saw his Cardiff side have the better of the second half but, after one of the most scintillating opening periods in play-off history, they could not find an equaliser.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 692465.stm

My reply to my boss was as follows:
Thats OK I had a word with the "boss" before kick off and suggested that you could have the Football win and I'll have the Rugby win tomorrow and that way we'd both be happy on Monday - looks like He's agreed!
T xx

With poor Sophie not winning Dorothy and City losing to Blackpool it now falls on Cardiff Blues shoulders to do the honours for Wales this afternoon and bring home the silverware and secure The Scarlets European rugby for next season ....
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

Reality Bytes

Re: WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO Big Weekend For Cardiff

Post by Reality Bytes »

WE WON!!!! WE WON!!! WE WON!!!
Cardiff Blues 28-21 Toulon
Cardiff Blues (6) 28
Tries: Roberts, Halfpenny, B Davies Cons: Blair 2 Pens: Blair 2, Halfpenny
Toulon (13) 21
Tries: Williams, Sourice Con: Wilkinson Pens: Wilkinson 2, May
by Bruce Pope
BBC Sport Wales, at Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Cardiff Blues created history by becoming the first Welsh team to win European silverware as they beat Toulon at Stade Velodrome, Marseille.

Their Amlin Challenge Cup win also ensured the Scarlets are in next season's Heineken Cup.

Jamie Roberts, Leigh Halfpenny and Bradley Davies scored Blues tries, Sonny Bill Williams and Thomas Sourice going over for Toulon
UP YOURS WILKIE!!! ner ner ne ner ner WE FUCKING WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :D

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I'll just mark off RB in the drunken column here.

:mrgreen:
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

A well you got the win in the sport that matters, if not in that nancy-boy round ball game...

Good news on the Scarlets too :)

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Oh yeah we got the win but according to the one eyed Jonny Wilkinson is god english press we only won because poor darling jinxed Jonny had an owie and had to hobble off and sadly watch from the bench as the rest of his team fell apart without him allowing us to win ......

FFS!! I lost my temper big time during the game before Jonnyboy went off as the pundits were going on and on and on and fucking on about the great god wilkie there were two sodding teams playing, 1 French 1 Welsh yet it seemed like I was watching the Jonny Wilkinson love in special even the fucking trailers in the breaks featured shots of Jonny in his England shirt - not one sodding shot of either of the teams that were actually playing!

The game was a real nail biter - before he went off WE had scored first and the lead had been flip flopping back and forth we were far FAR from being out of it and there was every bloody chance we'd have won even if he had still been on the field. WE lost Gethin Jenkins one of the top 10 rated props in the world and our captain ffs and yet we didn't fall apart just because we lost 1 man.

Toulon have an enormous budget by rugby standards akin to the kind of sums in wendyball - the players they have under contract reads like the whos who of world rugby - many of whom were on the pitch at one time or another during that game and we BEAT THEM!! Are these reporters seriously suggesting that those world class players who included Tana Umaga & Sonny Bill Williams ffs can't play rugby without Jonny there? *spit*

I'm starting to feel sorry for England now no matter what happens in the world cup it's gonna be either they did good because Jonny was playing or they did crap because Jonny wasn't - there can be 30+ guys in the team but it's all gonna be down to Jonny boy :barf

Cardiff Blues is a real rareity - we have a spending cap, all players know it, they can get bigger bucks elsewhere, Blues board will not spend one penny more than the cap and it's a fraction of what other teams pay yet we're now the most successful team in Europe in Welsh history we beat Toulouse, Toulon, London Wasps, Leicester Tigers, Munster etc. etc. the players play for each other and for the team and as a result we have some of the very best players in the world now playing for us - Gethin, Jamie, Halfpenny all could command huge sums elsewhere (the French teams have been offering obscene amounts by all accounts) yet they have stayed loyal - even Xav is rumoured to be reconsidering his move to Ulster which none of us would begrudge him as the money on offer is for his retirement fund and he's earned the right to a good pay day.

The Blues win was more than just a fabulous Welsh win - it was a real spit in the eye to chequebook rugby.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Serves Jonny's right for going over the channel to play for cash in hand, sorry Toulon...