"Elementary"

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Re: "Elementary"

Post by Gob »

Crackpot wrote:I thought that was his own personal biopic
Bitch!! :D
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Just binge watched the final three series episodes last night...

As it turns out, those three episodes really build together as the series finale....

Really nicely done...

A lot of misdirection twists (including one in the final episode that would have meant for a truly suck-ass ending, had it been what it looked like at first) building to a series ending that neither cheated the audience nor shredded the character development that had been so carefully built over seven seasons...Also leaving open future possibilities...

All-in-all a fitting send off for a series that I first watched expecting to dislike, (A female Watson? Really?) but found to be a well-written, well performed show that just got better over time; it became one of my regular season favorites...

I think that now that he's retired with all that time on his hands, it would be a really lovely gesture on our part to express our thanks to Strop for all his work to keep the forum going by having a whip-round and presenting him with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Compl ... NFGHMC2PB8

154 episodes...

Of course there's always the possibility that he already has it... 8-)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

RayThom

"Elementary"

Post by RayThom »

LJ, I mentioned this earlier. I agree.
Strop, I'm Sure You Can Hardly Wait To Get Home...
Post by RayThom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 pm

New Marvel Character?
Post by RayThom » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm Big RR wrote:
Well if Dr. Watson (of Sherlock Holmes fame) can be an Asian woman, who knows what might occur?

BTW -- the series finale of 'Elementary' is schedule for tomorrow night. One of my commercial broadcast favs. ('Madam Secretary', 'Good Fight', 'Elementary')

As a "reimagined" classic I found it -- for the most part -- to be well written, and well acted.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I just went back and re-read my OP for this thread...

One thing I got completely wrong:
Somebody around here, (maybe Crackpot) said that the producers were denying that they cast Watson as a woman in order to create sexual tension between Holmes and Watson...

Well, if they said that, that is a flat out lie; the sexual tension is so strong between them, you could cut it with a chainsaw...if the series goes on for two or three seasons, I have no doubt that they will be hitting the sheets....
The sexual tension between Sherlock and Joan actually diminished as the characters became closer, because the writers very skillfully developed a brother-sister type familial relationship between them...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, you can definitely imagine some movies coming out down the line.

And it never resorted to having the two of them pursue or fend off a romantic relationship, that had become a cliché of almost every show in this genre with a man/woman pairing.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yeah, you can definitely imagine some movies coming out down the line.
That same thought occurred to me as the final credits started to roll...it looks like that's definitely what they've set up...
it never resorted to having the two of them pursue or fend off a romantic relationship, that had become a cliché of almost every show in this genre with a man/woman pairing.
Props to the producers and writers for keeping the show's integrity on that one...

I'm sure there must have been times over a seven season run when the ratings were sagging a bit when it might have been tempting to play that card just to juice the viewership, but they never went there, or even hinted that they might go there...
ImageImageImage