The beautiful game

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Big RR

Re: The beautiful game

Post by Big RR »

That remains to be seen. In a country where wrestling, golf, and car races are avidly watched, there has to be some room for soccer.

Gob

Post by Gob »

In the gym of a morning, the early morning TV is on. There are lots of filler programs, mainly cheap shit bought from the USA. Amongst all the snake hunter, oil drillers, cop chases, and other "TV for the intellectually incapacitated," there is what I believe is called "Nascar" racing.

I take my hat off to whoever devised that! Take a motorsport, extract any excitement, competition, thrills, skill, technological advances, and all interesting facets, then dribble on about if for hours on end.

And you lot complain about cricket? :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

And now you know why I don't have television.

99% garbage!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I get on my stationary bike and watch either a Monk or Battle Star Galactica episode to get moving in the morning...

When everybody else in the house is asleep....
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I eat All-Bran to get moving in the morning

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

This I have never heard.
on frame = shot on target
I have heard "shot on goal" in hockey (ice and field), lacrosse and soccer.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I would like to point out the the author of that article that 'sideline' and 'goal line' are much more common than 'touch line' in the UK. He may be getting confused with egg chasing there...
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

In South Africa there's one football commentator (i.e. real football = foot plus ball) who insists that all free-kicks and corners are "set plays". Of course I suppose a corner kick probably should be.... although judging by some players it seems they practise booting the ball across the field and over the sideline for a throw-in.

But it's so irritating when he excitedly calls out "Kaiser Chiefs have been awarded a set-play", and it's even worse when the kick being taken is from their own half following an off-side.

And don't get me started on "assistant referees". And the apparent abandonment of the requirement that on kick-off the ball must travel FORWARD one circumference and all players must be standing in their own half of the field at the time. And.....

Not that it matters of course

Meade
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

Lovely chart, Jimmy. I recall seeing it when you posted it before. Including Beckham's outside income is...bullshit. I can't imagine why the people who put the chart together would make such a gross misrepresentation. Maybe it was a babe.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

dgs49 wrote:Lovely chart, Jimmy. I recall seeing it when you posted it before. Including Beckham's outside income is...bullshit. I can't imagine why the people who put the chart together would make such a gross misrepresentation. Maybe it was a babe.
WTF :?: :shrug

ETA:

Oh okay, I went back to the second page. You must be referring to the salary chart.
ImageImageImage