Kids names and class....

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

Kids names and class....

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Re: Kids names and class....

Post by TPFKA@W »

NOKD.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just last week she enraged This Morning presenter Holly Willoughby after claiming it was acceptable to judge children based on their names.

And now Katie Hopkins has launched another attack, this time on ginger-haired people, by revealing she did not want any of her children to be born with the fiery hair colour.

The former Apprentice star had ignited controversy on Twitter last week when she wrote: 'Ginger babies. Like a baby. Just so much harder to love.'

Now Katie, 38, has gone further with her thoughts on ginger-haired people in an interview with OK! magazine.

Asked if her two daughters India, nine, and Poppy, seven, were ginger, she said: 'Oh no, they're definitely brown. We don't have a ginger in the family.

'That was the first question I asked when I gave birth to Max (her son aged four): "Is he ginger?"

'There's nothing worse than a ginger boy especially in the young years.'

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:NOKD.
I wouldn't want my kids associating with her, that's for sure. Who is this shoo-in for Upper-Class Twit of the Year?
GAH!

rubato

Post by rubato »

An artificial "conflict" entirely a disingenuous creation of the media.

Nothing to be learned here.

Yrs,
Rubato

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

She's an awful, awful creature.

I hope Holly Willoughby kicked her in the fork after they cut to the break.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Well this sort of snobbery is nothing new and I expect it will be around for a long time to come.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

DOn't you hate when you think of something really funny but immediately realize it falls below your own admittedly low standards for poor taste?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I know you'll find this difficult to believe but I think the lady does have some kind of point worth thinking about. First of all, despite her own failure to keep the distinction in mind, her thesis was not that the name(s) of a child is any indication at all that the child him/her self is somehow "lesser". She asserted that the given names are, for her and she suggests could be for others, indicative of the kinds of PARENTS that the child has. Therefore, she suggests that she would not want her own children hanging out in the company of such a family.

I don't think that calling a child "Courtenay" or "Chantelle" or "Tyler" is, in fact, a lower class affectation - rather, I'd be concerned that such parents are in fact pretentious twats regardless of class. I'd be perhaps more inclined to discourage my child from hanging out with such folks than if their children's Christian names were John or Mary or Reg. In fact, it could well be that prosaic and traditional names are more commonly found in the lower classes where parents have such names as Ted and Brenda and their child is called Peter - which is my own case.

In ye olde days, "Tyler" would have been the child all we others beat up, had such a creature appeared among us lower echelons of Wickford Junior School. These days, "Tyler" is surely regarded as a "high class" name given in both that class and in the lower class that considers an apostrophe an optional extra to accompany the letter "s" at all times. I would prefer my children to associate with neither - not because of the child per se but for the suspicion that said parents are said twats. The same goes for those butt-nuggets who name their children after entire football teams or call them "Moonbeam" etc. Warning! Do no let your young associate with such!

That this is not perhaps an infallible guide is seen in the case of my own grand children (lovely children too). They are variously named "Sara" and "Devan". Clearly the lower class affectation 'Devan' is a potential warning sign while contrarily 'Sara' might indicate all is well (except leaving out the 'h' is a bit suspicious). Taken together, Katie Hopkins would presumably have her progeny avoid contact with my daughter/son-in-law - and I regret to say, she'd have made a good choice - for HER objectives. (In terms of names, guess which of my grand children is the fun-loving, well-read, intellectual power-house destined for greatness and which one is the earnest but slow one destined to live in a trailer?).

Similarly, double-barrel surnames are found both in the aristocracy and in the mushy-mind liberal reaches, both of which should be avoided. Anyone who thinks it is logical for the woman's last name (which is after all, a man's last name) to be hyphenated to the man's is clearly sub-par. Assuming that the Philips-Brennans have a daughter, do these brainiacs expect the poor child upon marriage to call herself and her children "Philips-Brennan-Williams"? And what if her husband was already a "Smith-Williams"? I'd shoot myself if my grand-daughter were named "Philips-Brennan-Smith-Williams".

As to gingers, avoiding even the possibility of Celtic/Gaelic contamination is clearly advisable. :nana

Meade
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

There's a difference between ex resizing caution and flat out denying access Meade.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Rick

Post by Rick »

I'd be cautious about letting my daughter hang around with Buster Cherry.

Even in a classless society...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I don't know, Meade...taking a swing at Tyler could have some unfortunate results...

(Yep, that's Tyler Seguin.)

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:In ye olde days, "Tyler" would have been the child all we others beat up....
You come from a different culture than I. There's nothing weird about 'Tyler' where I came from. We didn't beat up kids based on their names. We beat them up because they were beatupable.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:...do these brainiacs expect the poor child upon marriage to call herself and her children "Philips-Brennan-Williams"?

Many families in the Hispanic culture do exactly that.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Not to mention: aren't there plenty of upper-class Brits with about six middle names? :D

Gob

Post by Gob »

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Ftang Ftang Ole Biscuit-Barrell Johnson..

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

He looks like Donald Trump before he folds his mop.

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

The points made by the speaker on the video do not withstand cross-cultural scrutiny. The name, "Tyler" would be pretty tame in the U.S., and not generate any sort of response whatsoever. However,

It grates on my nerves when I hear about:

(1) kids being named after pop culture icons - usually ones who are in great disrepute, and

(2) kids being given a surname as a first name, like "Jackson," which is a pretentious bit of WASPism that has now gone mainstream.

And of course it would be indiscrete to mention the millions of African-American single moms who seem determined to settle on some hyphenated or apostrophated bit of nonsense from a Scrabble box (d'Juan, Kata-Fui, etc), in the vain hope that when their little darling grows to adulthood they can be referred to by an adoring press by a single, unique name, unlike, for example Robery Schmidlap who must go by both a first and second name.

Ultimately, it's a good idea to pay attention to the other kids with whom yours are associating. Can't be too careful, you know.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Never trust anyone with two first names.
:mrgreen:

dales

Post by dales »

Or a woman with a hyphenated last name..........runs

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Ahem....

My given name and family name are both used regularly as both first and last names. I can assure you that there was no "pretentious bit of WASPism" about it. Additionally, I occasionally go by the spousal unit's surname as well -- which is also commonly used as both a first and last name. (However, I have never felt compelled to hyphenate anything.)
GAH!