Happy Holidays!

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Happy Holidays!

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote: ETA: I'm guessing that you'd probably start to get a little crabby about Chanukah if you had to listen to ...... a continuous loop, on every commercial radio station and in every commercial establishment you entered, every day, for *TWO*SOLID*MONTHS*!!!!
Oh yeah! And I feel the same way about "Christmas" music - makes me want to go berserk and I can't imagine what it does to the minds of the staff who have to LIVE and WORK in it.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Not to start anything, Scooter, but a quick re-read of the appropriate parts of the Gospels of Matthew or Luke don't mention a word about Santa Claus, snowmen, toy soldiers, sleighs, reindeer, candy canes, etc...... and I don't see anything that looks like angels or a manger scene anywhere in that aggregation of lights, blow-ups, and what-have-you.  This is absolutely a non-religious display in honor of the holiday that has become the Great American Winter Celebration of Conspicuous Consumerism.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I celebrate Solstice and secular Christmas, although I just purged 98% of my Christmas decorations as part of my giant leap forward into minimalism.

I haven't actually dressed the house in years, hence the purge (plus I need $); but beyond that, I think the simplicity of celebrating the season by dressing the house in balsam fir and candlelight is all I want this Solstice and ever after.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Big Sky Gal,may I inquire, as to whether you are a native of Montana?
Nor,mention of the "Little Drummer Boy",one Christmas tradition(non Bibliical of course)I like is the "Nutcracker Suite" :shrug

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Scooter has me on ignore BB so he might come back at you regardless of this yere post but.... I do believe that the lower right of the photo shows a "stable" with an adoring figure the left and two "cute" children clutching gifts for Jesus to the right (as we look at it). Presumably one of the tiny lights in the stable is meant to be the baby
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Bicycle Bill wrote:Not to start anything, Scooter, but a quick re-read of the appropriate parts of the Gospels of Matthew or Luke don't mention a word about Santa Claus, snowmen, toy soldiers, sleighs, reindeer, candy canes, etc...... and I don't see anything that looks like angels or a manger scene anywhere in that aggregation of lights, blow-ups, and what-have-you.  This is absolutely a non-religious display in honor of the holiday that has become the Great American Winter Celebration of Conspicuous Consumerism.
-"BB"-
Looks like a small crèche right up front, and a life-sized one near the house, right side of the photo.

And regardless, it's not like any of those symbols are related to Halloween or New Years. If that house isn't celebrating Christmas, what is it celebrating?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

wesw

Post by wesw »

electricity?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:lol:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

wesw

Post by wesw »

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

wesw wrote:electricity?
Now that was funny.
GAH!

RayThom

ALSO...

Post by RayThom »

Isn't that the Blessed Virgin Mary and Joseph on the porch, sipping eggnog next to Frosty T. Snowman?

I'm curious, is the War On Xmas anything like the War On Drugs? If so, there's nothing to worry about. The generations long war on drugs has been proven to be a complete waste of time and resources. Dope rules supreme! Trust me, there are too many Black Friday loving, Christmas addicts out there for those nasty non-christians to declare victory in this conflict.

BAH! Humbug!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

wesw wrote:
Snopes says:
MOSTLY FALSE

In short, the Pledge of Allegiance is not now and never was banned by Principal Kim at PS 169, and the DoE confirmed the Pledge will be recited over the loudspeaker going forward. Guidelines issued by the DoE clarified that Santa Claus was permissible as a "symbol with secular dimensions," and at no point was Thanksgiving (or discussion of it) banned in PS 169 or any school.
Thank you wes, for providing us with that stellar example of how the alleged "War on Christmas" is an invention of Fox News with no basis whatsoever in fact.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Guinevere wrote:
Bicycle Bill wrote:Not to start anything, Scooter, but a quick re-read of the appropriate parts of the Gospels of Matthew or Luke don't mention a word about Santa Claus, snowmen, toy soldiers, sleighs, reindeer, candy canes, etc...... and I don't see anything that looks like angels or a manger scene anywhere in that aggregation of lights, blow-ups, and what-have-you.  This is absolutely a non-religious display in honor of the holiday that has become the Great American Winter Celebration of Conspicuous Consumerism.
-"BB"-
Looks like a small crèche right up front, and a life-sized one near the house, right side of the photo.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:I do believe that the lower right of the photo shows a "stable" with an adoring figure the left and two "cute" children clutching gifts for Jesus to the right (as we look at it). Presumably one of the tiny lights in the stable is meant to be the baby.
Guin and Meade, you are correct. I found another picture of this elsewhere where the focus/resolution was sharper and was able to make out the figures a little more clearly.
Guinevere wrote:And regardless, it's not like any of those symbols are related to Halloween or New Years. If that house isn't celebrating Christmas, what is it celebrating?
It was in my post — The Great American Winter Celebration of Conspicuous Consumerism.  I even put it in larger-than-normal font!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

-"BB"-

Get a grip BB. Appealing to the Bible is just nutty. If anyone cared about what was in the bible they would worship on Saturday, pork would still be Haram, and all debts would be forgiven every 7 years. Modern Christianity is a blending of pagan practices, commercial convenience, with a leavening of religion; like raisins in the fruitcake.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'm so glad that rubato, an anti-Christian bigot, is such an expert on defining for Christians what Christianity is and isn't. Arguing with prejudice is unproductive at best, so ... Merry Christmas, rubato.

wesw

Post by wesw »

sorry, that s one more source. I don t know how to do anything right

but if you google Brooklyn principle bans santa, you have it from yahoo nbc fox AOL..., just about every news outlet in new York and many many others

the fox interview above explains it well tho, and the president of the PTA is interviewed too

...but if snopes says nopes...

wesw

Post by wesw »

and gosh, saint peter settled that one long ago rube, about pork? 'member?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Don't teach a pig to sing, wesw. You know what happens.