Beauty matters

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

Beauty matters

Post by Gob »

Yet, despite advances in the development of new cosmetics, scientists still struggle to answer a philosophical question: why should beauty matter at all?

From an evolutionary point of view, beauty is used as a way of attracting a mate and signalling messages about being a fine, healthy specimen of the species.

The impressive and colourful plumage used by male peacocks and birds of paradise, for example, is thought to demonstrate the quality of their genes and, therefore, their suitability as a mate. A healthy father is likely to lead to healthy offspring.

Psychologists are investigating new evidence that suggests humans can also pick up on subtle messages in appearance that convey messages about our health.

"We have found that many of the signals that make a face attractive also symbolise good health," says Prof David Perrett, a psychologist at St Andrews University, who carries out research into attractiveness.

"We can predict how likely someone will be to get ill from colds and flu from their facial features. Skin tone, for example, gives us subtle clues about blood circulation, while a person's weight can tell us whether they are predisposed to respiratory infections.

"There is obviously the idea that healthy individuals produce better offspring, but they are also better at providing for families."

Psychologists have used computer software to assess thousands of faces rated as "attractive" or "beautiful" to produce a summation of the ideal face. But, when compared with real faces, the computer-generated "perfect" model often fails to be ranked as the most attractive of all. Why?

According to Lucy Beresford, a psychotherapist who will address the Science Museum event, what people find attractive is very different from what is deemed to be unblemished beauty.

"We try to discourage people from the idea of perfection. There is a difference between beauty and attractiveness," she says.

"It is a relatively recent development that beauty has become more of a personal and selfish thing, rather than trying to show how healthy we are. It is about making ourselves feel better and improving self-esteem."

Indeed, scientists recently discovered that a make-over can have health benefits, too. "People who were given a make-over improved their posture," says Prof Perrett. "In older people, this had an unforeseen effect - reducing the number of times they tripped and fell."

So the cosmetics that we use to make us feel better about the way we look can also have a positive impact on our health, without us even knowing.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/ ... -tmqo.html
Who do you find physically beautiful?

Images please, one male one female.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Re: Beauty matters

Post by Gob »

ImageImage
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

You find David attractive? Him with the hands of a giant?

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'll have to think hard about who I find physically attractive in both male and female. I tend to shun the physical for the mental. (Hence me falling for you before seeing a photograph.)*

And no wise-cracks. I know I left a perfect opening there. Resist it.
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

I had the pleasure of seeing the statue of David, he is magnificent (apart from having a tiny dick)

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

That's as maybe, but his hands are also of incorrect proportion.

So your ideal man is a hotch-potch of different parts that belong to others?

Michaelangelo was probably having a laugh. David is bits and bobs of all his favourites. You know, like when the Men Behaving Badly cast get together to construct their ideal woman. Like yours, it has Kylie's bottom.

:rsp
Bah!

Miles

Post by Miles »

After some thought I can't really decide on one particular person, male or female. I look for the beauty in people that comes from a friendly smile or a sincere justure. Interesting question that I will have to give more thought.
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Gob wrote:I had the pleasure of seeing the statue of David, he is magnificent (apart from having a tiny dick)
It may be on the small side, but it has stood the test of time. ;)

Gob

Post by Gob »

And it's always hard...

Sean

Post by Sean »

I read an article some time ago which theorised that Michelangelo was going for extreme realism and that David's shrinkage was brought about by a severe case of shitting himself when faced with Goliath. Apparently you can only see his real "Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck!" expression from above.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

SisterMaryFellatio

Post by SisterMaryFellatio »

is that helena bonham-carter??

Do her over david anyday...she looks like she wouls be a right filthy bitch!

Gob

Post by Gob »

You sound just like my wife.

Takes one to know one, I suppose. ;)

SisterMaryFellatio

having met your wife...thank you for the compliment.

I have never understood women who find Brad Pitt shaggable....hes not a fab actor his Mrs on the other hand total filthy bitch...she was hotter than hell in Pushing Tin!

I guess its the same why I think Robin Williams is shaggable (hot is not the right word here!!) Funny guy and would be filthy...Billy Connolly...I love him a fuckin hilarious man and I would love to have dinner with him...but not sex!! Urgh!!

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Like I like Bruce Willis! I love men with REAL muscles, that is they use don't just show'um!

SisterMaryFellatio

I could only shag him if he yelled....Yippeekayyay when he was cumming!! That would be worth the shag!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

loCAtek wrote:Like I like Bruce Willis! I love men with REAL muscles, that is they use don't just show'um!
Just make sure you have some aspirin for him. :D

(I'm gonna feel pretty stupid if nobody gets this one...)
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

OK. Tick on Helena Bonham-Carter. I like a sultry looking brunette, and Angelina Jolie is so five minutes ago.

I have never been a chook for a muscley bloke. Though, like Lo, I enjoy muscles that are used as opposed to muscles that are to show off. I guess David Wenham will be my pick.

Bah!

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Hmmm not really sure about females I tend not to pay that much attention so I'll give it some thought... as for males that took no thought whatsoever :lol:

This is my perfect man:

I have a major MAJOR crush on Joe Flanigan apart from having forearms which make me go all of a doodah (I like forearms) his eyes are stunning and change colour depending on the light and his mood.
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Paul Newman was male perfection.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Mark Owen off of Take That

omnomnom

I like small pretty men, big butch burly things scare me :lol:

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

A smorgy of deliciousness:

“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké