Philosophy today?

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
The Hen

Re: Philosophy today?

Post by The Hen »

The Meaning of Meaning?

Next they'll be asking "Is is?"
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Or "Is is is?" even?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

tyro wrote:I remember looking for an arts elective and finding that a philosophy course was available to me (given my credits), it was called “The Meaning of Meaning”.

My then girl friend talked me out of it. Wise I guess.
It was probably taught by this guy:
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

tyro, it might have been wise from your girlfriend's perspective.

if you watch MANswers, you'd know all the hottest girls are the brainy ones. the ones who take philosophy courses at uni. ;)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Exactly! :D
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Timster

Post by Timster »

Gob wrote:Image

I am AndyH, and I approve that philosophy. :ok :P
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

What is it about librarians that make them so damn sexy? Is it the glasses or the hair? I can never work it out.
Bah!

Timster

Post by Timster »

I think that men have this fantasy of taking the glasses off a sexy woman that is smarter than we are; and letting her hair down to find out that she is a totally sexualy repressed screamer.

Just a guess... :ok
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

Gob

Post by Gob »

Something about thought of getting it on with a buttoned up woman who has been simmering under the surface, who hits the panic button, and lets loose.....

Miles

Post by Miles »

BINGO Timster. :ok
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

rubato

Post by rubato »

When was that time?

To the best of my knowledge philosophers have nearly always been considered major pains in the ass and not really liked very much.

yrs,
rubato

Rick

Post by Rick »

rubato wrote:When was that time?

To the best of my knowledge philosophers have nearly always been considered major pains in the ass and not really liked very much.

yrs,
rubato
Glad to see you could make it...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Joseph Campbell - one of my favs!

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

yrs,
rubato
I know my philosophy teacher was a pain in the arse, I didn't realise it stretched across the whole spectrum of philosophisers. Though that would probably explain a lot.
Bah!

Miles

Post by Miles »

The entire Philosophy department at Slippery Rock, at the time I was there, were the best professors in the university. :D
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

dales

Post by dales »

yrs,
rubato
rube! :D

I for one am glad you are here!

really 8-)

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato