Has sex lost its meaning?

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

Has sex lost its meaning?

Post by Gob »

Not that long ago, sex was seen as the ultimate expression of love between a married couple, to some it may still be so

But the whole notion of sex, as exclusive and monogamous is now dated, trite, and out of fashion.

Sex is something you do, with someone you like.

So where does that leave sex?

We've seen Tiger Wood's relationship go down the shitter, due to him playing "hide the sausage" with a few slappers, so sex in betrayal, still carries a huge stigma.

So is sex only considered of such value when there is a broken agreement or betrayed trust involved?

Is a one night stand for two unnatached people now nothing of note, or is there some guilt involved?

What is the status of the sexual act, morally and ethically?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

tyro

Re: Has sex lost its meaning?

Post by tyro »

What is the status of the sexual act, morally and ethically?
Ah Morality and Ethics, Fleeting be thy names.

Just as reality is what the majority of the people agree to, ethics and morality are also pliable. To the generation who took our concept of “free sex” to a greater level, there is still something in it all that speaks, “This much and no more.”

I don’t know where that distinction is today, but I do recall Lotus using the term “fuck buddies”.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

According to Hatch they are "Umm Friends" now. As in "Oh that is just Michael. He is my ... ummm .. friend."

: )
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

I remember that coming into fashion; "Is she a friend, or you know friend?"

Serial monogamy seems to be the vogue now, a sort of "suck it and see", (scuse bad pun) way of testing the waters or taking a test drive before committing to a relationship.

The desire to marry a virgin (outside of the Muslim world) seems to have waned also.

Personally I cannot think of anything less desirable when choosing a partner, what a disaster to find a few months into a marriage that you are not sexually compatible.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

To me, sex these days in the media seems to be more about self-gratification that a mutually enjoyable experience. A "what's in it for me" mentality.
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

too easy, not going there...

dales

Post by dales »

I still have two hands to call my own!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Is a wank truly sex or just relief?
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Interesting! Is the "sin of onanism" still considered "wrong" or "bad" in anyway?

I used to do a stand up routine around wanking and how it's the best form of sex, at the local comedy clubs on "open mike" nights, went down well. "Fnaaarrr Fnaaaar, snurrrt, snurrrtttt."

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Can you be truly healthy and not masturbate?

I don't do it often these days, but it is necessary sometimes.
Bah!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I cannot imagine a life absent masturbation, especially during those periods of my life when I was otherwise celibate.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

"Onanism". Yet another example where a Biblical story is used to "prove" something that the text in no way supports.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

dales

Post by dales »

Right On......C/P!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

I agree; the story of Onan is not about masturbation.
Reason is valuable only when it performs against the wordless physical background of the universe.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Absolutely, the story of Onan is about the consequences of disobeying god (here using coitus interruptus when directed to impregnate his brother's widow). Indeed, I think the RC church uses this story to condemn aritificial birth control (that's another rant); whether Onan (if he even existed) masturbated or not, we'll never know.

The story of Portnoy, now that was about masturbation.

Gob

Post by Gob »

SisterMaryFellatio

Post by SisterMaryFellatio »

Nothing wrong with a friend with "benefits" had one myself beofre I got married. If you have an itch you scratch it, thirst you quench it,so if you have the horn, sit on it I say.