Fall back (time change tonight)

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

Fall back (time change tonight)

Post by Scooter »

Why in this forum? Because a pastor friend of mine posted this on FB, and I thought it was cute:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

rubato

Re: Fall back (time change tonight)

Post by rubato »

An extra round of ZZZZZZs for everyone!

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I went to bed earlier on saturday and woke up later on sunday than I usually do. I slept through this whole time change thing. Did I miss anything?

kristina

Post by kristina »

So I guess it's nice that I'm not driving directly into the sun in the morning on my way to work (as I was last week), but I do miss having a little daylight when I get home to putter in the yard...

I think we should pick either Standard or Daylight Savings Time for the entire year and be done with it.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

kristina wrote:So I guess it's nice that I'm not driving directly into the sun in the morning on my way to work (as I was last week), but I do miss having a little daylight when I get home to putter in the yard...

I think we should pick either Standard or Daylight Savings Time for the entire year and be done with it.
I would probably agree...

...until the sun starts coming up at four the blessed A.M. in June in my bedroom with eastern exposure.and I am wondering why the fuck I cannot sleep through the night.

-- Author unknown

kristina

Post by kristina »

Scooter wrote:
kristina wrote:So I guess it's nice that I'm not driving directly into the sun in the morning on my way to work (as I was last week), but I do miss having a little daylight when I get home to putter in the yard...

I would probably agree...

...until the sun starts coming up at four the blessed A.M. in June in my bedroom with eastern exposure.and I am wondering why the fuck I cannot sleep through the night.
Ouch. Blackout curtains?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The problem is that those curtains also block the breeze from open windows.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sleep mask!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sure, but I'd just rather not have the sun come up that early.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I've checked this thread seven times to see that there's a time change tonight. I'm glad to see that it's now only a little after 4 a.m. (although incredibly bright out and for some reason lots of people appear to be driving around without their lights on and I don't feel tired at all). My stupid phone keeps changing itself to 11-something a.m. Technology!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Big RR wrote:Sure, but I'd just rather not have the sun come up that early.
And we just stayed on DST all year, in the dead of winter the sun wouldn't be coming up until after 9am.

So yeah, time changes are a pain, but living in northern latitudes make it a necessity if we don't want to go bonkers.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Absolutely Scooter; I'd rather have daylight during the nominal daytime hours. I honestly don't mind the time changes.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I've never considered it a hassle, either - though I prefer the fall when I get an extra hour of zzzzzzzs.

And I agree that way up north here, it makes a HUGE difference and is welcomed for that.
~ Carl Sagan

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Soon it will be dark when I go to work and dark on the way home no matter daylight savings time or not. I can handle the cold and snow (I actually like it) but I could do without the short days.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Unfortunately, whatever you do with the time, you cannot avoid the shorter days. Just be grateful you live where you still get some light in winter. I used to travel to a part of Sweden where the sun just didn't come up in the winter; the brightest it got during the day was kind of like twilight for an hour or two (of course it never went down in the summer, so they enjoyed the daylight while they had it).

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Too bad we can't store it in the summer and release it in the winter.
:shrug

ETA
I always wondered how people above the artic circle tolerated the lack sun. Don't those areas have a high amount of alcoholism/drug abuse?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think I posted this before, but it's timeless (see what I did there):

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The best description of daylight savings time I ever heard went something like this:

Imagine you have a blanket.
Cut one foot of material off one end of the blanket and sew it onto the other end.
Loudly declare that the blanket is now one foot longer ... and get people to believe you.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?