Santa, Macy's, the rude joke...

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

Santa, Macy's, the rude joke...

Post by Gob »

Macy's has fired Santa Claus for a naughty joke that an adult couple didn’t think was very festive.

John Toomey, 68, a popular Kris Kringle in San Francisco for more than 20 years, got the sack at the start of the holiday season after the grown-up customers saw red.

Like a scene from the Xmas classic ‘Miracle of 34th Street', store bosses told white-bearded Mr Toomey that his services were no longer required because of the complaint.

Sacked Santa: John Toomey lost his job at Macy's in San Francisco after telling an off-colour joke

But there was no happy ending for the kids’ favourite, despite protests from customers who said the store Santa was just like the real thing.

Mr Toomey insists he has been telling the slightly off-colour joke for years without a problem.

‘When I ask the older people who sit on my lap if they have been good and they say, ‘Yes,’ I say, ‘Gee, that’s too bad,” he explained.

‘Then, if they ask why Santa is so jolly, I joke that it’s because I know where all the naughty boys and girls live,’ he added.

But the retired caretaker told the San Francisco Chronicle he has never made the crack when children sit on his lap.

‘Everything was going okay until this couple came in. I don’t know why they reported me. I don’t think I said anything untoward,’ he said.

‘With the children, it's important to listen carefully to them and make sure they're doing things properly, like brushing their teeth, helping mum around the house, things like that.

‘Then when they tell you what they want, repeat it loudly enough so the parents can hear, and tell the child you'll talk it over with Mrs. Santa and the elves. That way you leave it up to the parents.

‘It's an important job,’ he added, ‘and the joking around like I did is only for the adults.’

Macys at Union Square wouldn’t comment on the flap.

But staff said the veteran Santa was being sorely missed.

‘People make a pilgrimage to see him every year, some for as long as 15 years,’ one worker told the Chronicle. ‘Everybody loves him. Everybody’s just heartsick about this.’

‘He’s totally the best Santa ever, very jolly and authentic. I’ve been coming to see him for years. There’s just nobody better,’ said Sharon Owens, 56, of Oakland, who was disappointed to see another Santa in his place yesterday.

Mr Toomey is hoping to pull his suit back on and be hired for some private parties while he waits to see if Macys will have him back.

‘I’ve got my Social Security and some savings, so I’ll be okay, but I sure do miss being Santa,’ he said

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z17TCYPElX
Why in "philosophy and religion?

Well is anyone else getting sick and tired of the "moral" minority getting so much leverage to put their boring humdrum "thou shalt not" perspectives into society today?

Adverts for "Sloggi" knickers were removed from billboards in the UK, as TWO people objected to them.

When are the immoral majority going to stand up and tell them to "fuck off", and will we be listened to?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Re: Santa, Macy's, the rude joke...

Post by Scooter »

I don't know...in this case, for a Santa Claus to be making jokes about pedophilia crosses over a line, I think.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Uhh not really.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Funny how people can see different things Scoot...
‘Then, if they ask why Santa is so jolly, I joke that it’s because I know where all the naughty boys and girls live,’ he added.
Pedophilia didn't cross my mind when I read that. I can see however, how people could read that into it.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

dales

Post by dales »

He's landed a new Santa Claus gig which pays more.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

Sean wrote:Funny how people can see different things Scoot...
Pedophilia didn't cross my mind when I read that.
It didn't cross my mind either.
I can see however, how people could read that into it.
So can I. But it takes a considerable stretch.
Reason is valuable only when it performs against the wordless physical background of the universe.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Come back after dealing with a child who was molested by someone in a Santa suit, and we'll talk about how appropriate it is for a Santa to be joking about being "jolly" from knowing where to find all the "naughty" boys and girls.

It was grossly inappropriate, and it wasn't saved by the assumption (by no means certain) that he only meant "boys and girls" in a figurative sense, and wasn't really referring to children.

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

For fucks sake you got a "tragedy target" on you or something?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Because I don't find joking about pedophilia funny, particularly when uttered by such an iconic character for children?

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Gentlemen, please...
Well is anyone else getting sick and tired of the "moral" minority getting so much leverage to put their boring humdrum "thou shalt not" perspectives into society today?

Adverts for "Sloggi" knickers were removed from billboards in the UK, as TWO people objected to them.

When are the immoral majority going to stand up and tell them to "fuck off", and will we be listened to?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

Scooter wrote:Because I don't find joking about pedophilia funny, particularly when uttered by such an iconic character for children?
No.

Because you read pedophilia into a joke that says nothing about it.
Reason is valuable only when it performs against the wordless physical background of the universe.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Gob wrote:Gentlemen, please...
You picked the example, not me.
Andrew D wrote:Because you read pedophilia into a joke that says nothing about it.
Of course it doesn't. Santa getting "jolly" finding out where "naughty boys and girls" live.

Nah, nothing there at all.

-- Author unknown

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

He has fun helping a kid short-sheet her or his older sibling. He is obviously a pedophile.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I never claimed he was a pedophile, Andrew. Are you taking lessons from Quad now?

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

But there was no happy ending for the kids’ favourite, despite protests from customers who said the store Santa was just like the real thing.
And they would know this.....

How? :D
ImageImageImage

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

You imgained pedephilia in a joke in which it did not exist, Scooter. Whether you imagined that the Santa guy was a pedophile or imagined that he was "joking about pedophilia" is of no real significance.

What is of significance is your imagining pedophilia, or some pedophiliac tendency, where it did not exist.

Well, no, not really of significance. Just more of what those who have read your postings have come to expect.

Yawn.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So there is no difference between saying someone is making a joke suggestive of pedophilia, and accusing that person of being a pedophile. Hmmm. Interesting theory.
Well, no, not really of significance. Just more of what those who have read your postings have come to expect.
And someone reading your unintelligible rantings lately would have to wonder whether you had decided to disobey doctors orders and get back on the sauce. Or something stronger.

-- Author unknown

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I have to be counted among those who never saw it as a pedo joke either.

Some people have issues.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I'm sorry...

I didn't realize how heated this discussion had become....
ImageImageImage

Miles

Post by Miles »

I am supprised no one has called him, the santa, a dirty old man for flirting with the adult women. :shrug

I used to don the Santa garb and deliver flowers. For Seven years I delivered to homes, hospitals and nursing homes. Kids of all ages, 2 to 92, were excited to see me. Only once did I find myself in a possible embarrising situation. A 19 year old young woman was receiving a bunch of balloons for her birthday. After I entered the home her mother called her and she arrived wearing a towel and brushing her teeth. Her mother wanted to get a picture of her sitting on Santa's lap. I declined as I was reasonably certain that when she would have counted to 3 to snap the pic that towel was coming off. As It was a small town and everyone knows everyone I opted to decline the offer. :nana
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.