So much for my plans for the weekend

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

So much for my plans for the weekend

Post by Scooter »

Blood moon will bring about the end of the world on FRIDAY, claim Doomsdayers

In just five days time a blood moon is set to light up the sky with an orange glow - but some believe this could be the end of the world.

Doomsday preachers insist some sort of tragic event is set to hit the earth and possibly wipe it out on Friday after the blood moon.

The blood moon prophecy purports to reveal hidden messages in the Christian Bible about the end times approaching.

Christian ministers John Hagee and Mark Biltz first made the theory which suggests the ongoing 'tetrad' - four consecutive lunary eclipses, is the indicator of the end of earth as described in the Bible in Acts 2:20 and Revelation 6:12.

The first eclipse in the prophesied tetrad took place on April 15, 2014, and was followed by Blood Moons on October 8, 2014, April 4, 2015 and September 28, 2015.

On Friday the total lunar eclipse - when the moon passes behind Earth and into its shadow - will last one hour and 43 minutes.

The "blood moon" theory is interpreted from the Book of Joel, which says: "The sun will turn into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes."

A similar passage in the Book of Revelations reads: "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood."

But the prophecy has been routinely dismissed by astronomers and other experts as nonsense.

Scientists say the red tinge is due to Rayleigh scattering of sunlight through the Earth's atmosphere.

It also causes the reddening of the sun at sunset.

Endtime Ministries' Irvin Baxter, who has made a number of spectacularly inaccurate predictions since the mid-1980s, is among those who point to passages in the Book of Joel.

He has said: "The Bible teaches that end event is coming just ahead of us now and that will be the greatest prophetic fulfilment in the last 2,000 years."

Even though the myth has been debunked, YouTube is full of videos from doomsdayers predicting the end of the world in just a few days time.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Re: So much for my plans for the weekend

Post by Long Run »

Scooter wrote:
Scientists say the red tinge is due to Rayleigh scattering of sunlight through the Earth's atmosphere.
Way to ruin a good story!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: So much for my plans for the weekend

Post by Econoline »

"Never mind, lads. Same time tomorrow. We must get a winner one day!"

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God