Thought for the day

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

Thought for the day

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Re: Thought for the day

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

No need to wonder, just read Matthew 25:43-45, or click here.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Thought for the day

Post by RayThom »

This is Earth from deep space.

With everything else going on in a Cosmos consisting of over 200 billion galaxies, I seriously doubt that a God would bother creating mountain, or oceans, yet alone one of me.

I'm a Pastafarian... I'd rather believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Now that's cool. And it's edible.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I am an atheist. Most people here are not. I selected what I posted here precisely because I believe it would have meaning for others, while at the same time I could reinterpret it in a way that gave it meaning for me.

To the post you seem to have taken issue with, I believe that my life, that every life*, has purpose and significance, and should therefore be lived accordingly. I no longer feel the need for any theology of creation in order to hold that belief, but if that is how others come to it, that is fine by me.

*ok, I will admit, I have a problem believing this to be true of bedbugs, so sue me

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Thought for the day

Post by RayThom »

Scooter wrote:I am an atheist. Most people here are not. I selected what I posted here precisely because I believe it would have meaning for others, while at the same time I could reinterpret it in a way that gave it meaning for me.

To the post you seem to have taken issue with, I believe that my life, that every life*, has purpose and significance, and should therefore be lived accordingly. I no longer feel the need for any theology of creation in order to hold that belief, but if that is how others come to it, that is fine by me.
*ok, I will admit, I have a problem believing this to be true of bedbugs, so sue me
Brother Scooter, you're preaching to the choir. I just like to offer up an intelligent perspective whenever possible.

God bless you... and, Amen.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:I believe that my life, that every life*, has purpose and significance, and should therefore be lived accordingly.[/size]
Who is to say what the purpose or significance is? And what, then, does it mean to live accordingly?

That’s how we get religion, isn’t it?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I am an atheist. Most people here are not.
I've always gotten the distinct impression that most people on this board are Atheists...

Same thing with the CSB and The Cafe Darte...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Scooter wrote:I believe that my life, that every life*, has purpose and significance, and should therefore be lived accordingly.[/size]
Who is to say what the purpose or significance is? And what, then, does it mean to live accordingly?
I think that's up to everyone to work out for themselves, and to recognize and encourage it in others.

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Lord Jim wrote:
I am an atheist. Most people here are not.
I've always gotten the distinct impression that most people on this board are Atheists...

Same thing with the CSB and The Cafe Darte...
I always thought it was pretty close to a 50/50 split. Having significant issues with organized religion doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in God. And some of us don't need to wear our beliefs on our sleeve (some of them, anyway 8-) ).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Another thought.
  • There was a farmer who grew excellent quality corn. Every year he won the award for the best grown corn. One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbors. “How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbors when they are entering corn in competition with yours each year?” the reporter asked.

“Why sir,” said the farmer, “Didn’t you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbors grow inferior corn, cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbors grow good corn.”

So is with our lives... Those who want to live meaningfully and well must help enrich the lives of others, for the value of a life is measured by the lives it touches. And those who choose to be happy must help others find happiness, for the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all...

-Call it power of collectivity...

-Call it a principle of success...

-Call it a law of life.

The fact is, none of us truly wins, until we all win!!

(from here, on Facebook)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Thought for the day

Post by RayThom »

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Translation: The Bible teaches us to love one another... but the Kama Sutra is more precise.

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Jesus rode a donkey into Jerusalem. Joel Osteen drives his $325,000 car to church:

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Thought for the day

Post by RayThom »

Scooter wrote:Jesus rode a donkey into Jerusalem. Joel Osteen drives his $325,000 car to church...
Hallelujah! Praise Jesus.

(That bottom right photo is in a foreign country. Is that really the good preacher's car?)