Oscar Romero, Paul VI canonized as saints

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Pope makes El Salvador's Oscar Romero, Pope Paul VI saints

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis on Sunday praised two towering figures of the 20th-century Catholic Church as prophets who shunned wealth and looked out for the poor as he made saints of Pope Paul VI and martyred Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero.

Francis canonized two men at a Mass in St. Peter’s Square before some 70,000 faithful, a handful of presidents and 5,000 Salvadoran pilgrims who travelled to Rome to honour a man considered a hero to many Latin Americans.

Tens of thousands more Salvadorans stayed up all night at home to watch the Mass on giant TV screens outside the San Salvador cathedral where Romero’s remains are entombed.

In a sign of the strong influence that Paul and Romero had on the first Latin American pope, Francis wore the blood-stained rope belt that Romero wore when he was gunned down by right-wing death squads in 1980, and also used Paul’s staff, chalice and pallium vestment.

Paul, who was pope from 1963-1978, presided over the modernizing yet polarizing church reforms of the 1960s. He was the pope of Francis’ formative years as a young priest in Argentina and was instrumental in giving rise to the Latin American church’s “preferential option for the poor” that Francis has made his own.

Francis also has a close personal connection to Romero, and like him lived through the terror of right-wing military dictatorships when Francis was in Argentina. Francis was responsible for eventually declaring Romero a martyr for his fearless denunciations of the military oppression at the start of El Salvador’s 1980-1992 civil war.

In his homily, Francis called Paul a “prophet of a church turned outwards” to care for the faraway poor. He said Romero gave up his security and life to “be close to the poor and his people.”

And he warned that those who don’t follow their example to leave behind everything, including their wealth, risk never truly finding God.

“Wealth is dangerous and — says Jesus — even makes one’s salvation difficult,” Francis said.

“The love of money is the root of all evils,” he said. “Where money is at the centre, there is no room for God or for man.”

For many Salvadorans, it was the culmination of a fraught, politicized campaign to have the church formally honour a man who spoke out for the rights of landless peasants and the poor at a time when the U.S.-backed right-wing government was seeking to quash a leftist rebellion.

“We couldn’t stay home on this historic day,” said Jose Martinez, who with his wife and two young children joined the crowds outside the San Salvador cathedral. “I want my children to know Monsignor, our saint, that he was a great man who raised his voice to defend his pueblo, and for that they killed him.”

Romero, the archbishop of San Salvador, was murdered as he celebrated Mass on March 24, 1980, in a hospital chapel. A day before he was killed, he had delivered the latest in a series of sermons demanding an end to the army’s repression — sermons that had enraged El Salvador’s leaders.

Almost immediately after his death, Romero became an icon of the South American left and is frequently listed along with Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi as one of the world’s most influential human rights campaigners. The United Nations commemorates the anniversary of his death each year.

But his popularity with the left led to a decades-long delay in his saint-making cause at the Vatican, where right-wing cardinals led by Colombian Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo warned that his elevation would embolden Marxist revolutionaries.

Eventually Pope Benedict XVI unblocked the cause and Francis saw it through to its conclusion Sunday.

Romero’s influence continues to resonate with El Salvador’s youth as the country endures brutal gang violence that has made the Central American nation one of the world’s most violent.

“He is my guide, and from what I have read about his life, I want to follow in his steps,” said Oscar Orellana, a 15-year-old who joined the San Salvador procession wearing a white tunic like the one Romero used to wear.

Paul VI, for his part, is best known for having presided over the final sessions of the Second Vatican Council, the 1962-65 church meetings that opened up the Catholic Church to the world. Under his auspices, the church agreed to allow liturgy to be celebrated in the vernacular rather than in Latin and called for greater roles for the laity and improved relations with people of other faiths.

Paul is also remembered for his two most important encyclicals, or teaching documents, which have had a profound effect on the church: One denounced the mounting inequality between rich and poor, and the other reaffirmed the Catholic church’s opposition to artificial contraception.

The stark prohibition against contraception like birth control pills or condoms empowered conservatives but drove progressives away. Even today, studies show that most Catholics ignore that teaching and use contraception anyway.

Francis has also adopted the “church of the poor” ethos that Paul embodied when Paul formally renounced wearing the bejeweled papal tiara.

Paul is also very important to Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI, whom Paul made a cardinal in 1977. Officials said the 91-year-old Benedict was too weak to attend Sunday’s canonization, so Francis paid him a visit on the eve of the Mass.
When Romero was beatified a few years back, Francis spoke of him being martyred twice, once when he was assasinated, and again when his fellow bishops threw dirt on his name to block progress towards his canonization. It is fitting that he should be canonized by this pope because they are in many ways cut from the same cloth.

It is perhaps too easy to look at the blot that Humanae Vitae left on Paul VI's legacy, because it has had a lasting effect on the way the Church has handled life and death issues ever since, and forget that he quite literally dragged the Church kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Reactionaries were hoping that John XXIII had been an aberration, and he proved them wrong.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Yet more stars on the "Vatican Walk of Fame."

Who paid for these?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Re: Oscar Romero, Paul VI canonized as saints

Post by Big RR »

It is perhaps too easy to look at the blot that Humanae Vitae left on Paul VI's legacy, because it has had a lasting effect on the way the Church has handled life and death issues ever since, and forget that he quite literally dragged the Church kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Reactionaries were hoping that John XXIII had been an aberration, and he proved them wrong.
Perhaps, but then it is a pretty big blot, ad one that is hard to ignore.

As for
The stark prohibition against contraception like birth control pills or condoms empowered conservatives but drove progressives away. Even today, studies show that most Catholics ignore that teaching and use contraception anyway.
I'm not quite sure what that means. That it shouldn't be held against him because many (most?) catholics ignore it? It doesn't quite make sense to me; this world, third world, in particular, is very overpopulated. Opting for conservative orthodoxy on this issue, he wasn't doing the world any favors, as he was quite clear about the 'evils" of contraception. And those who were in the third world often accepted this as something required and not debatable, leading to the birth of more children. The RC church can declare whoever it wants to be a saint and it won't really matter to me; but if the church is saying this is a man who should be celebrated and honored, then I beg to differ.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I do hold it against him, because in a world that was in the midst of a population explosion and later was dealing with an HIV pandemic, the Church's position on contraceptive use was untenable. But it was one regressive move against the current of his entire papacy, as opposed to his successors whose papacies were defined by retrenchment and retrogression on a whole host of issues.

For example, as a gay man I look at the publication of Persona Humana in 1975 and can see an approach that attempts to be pastoral and does not necessarily condemn me to hell, whereas in 1986, under the papacy of JPII, the pen of he who would become Benedict XVI wrote that I was "objectively disordered" and slammed the church door in my face, a stance that would not be softened until Francis's "who am I to judge".
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--it has been a while, but wasn't the crux of Persona Humana with regard to homosexuality that it was unnatural and it was the duty of pastoral care to show those errant people their error which is separating them from god? And isn't this pretty much what Ratzinger said when he claimed that the church must tell people that such behavior is immoral in his Letter in 1986? granted the language was not as conciliatory, but it seemed to toe the same line, which is why I saw the current pope's statements as revolutionary. But even before that, as I understand, the RC church had room for people of conscience to make moral decisions for themselves absent a clear church condemnation, as the condemnation of contraception in Persona Humana (a far more direct condemnation of the practice that Ratzinger's discussion of morality), as well as the statements that this cannot be left to the conscience of the individual.

Now I'm not saying Paul was entirely bad as pope, he was far more conciliatory than his successors before the present pope and he did enact some important modern reforms in an institution mired in the past; I am just saying I don't see him necessarily as a person who should be celebrated or emulated (which is my protestant understanding of what a saint is); however, as I am not a RC, IMHO the church can do what it wants and it won't really affect me one way or the other).

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--it has been a while, but wasn't the crux of Persona Humana with regard to homosexuality that it was unnatural and it was the duty of pastoral care to show those errant people their error which is separating them from god? And isn't this pretty much what Ratzinger said when he claimed that the church must tell people that such behavior is immoral in his Letter in 1986? granted the language was not as conciliatory, but it seemed to toe the same line, which is why I saw the current pope's statements as revolutionary. But even before that, as I understand, the RC church had room for people of conscience to make moral decisions for themselves absent a clear church condemnation, as the condemnation of contraception in Persona Humana (a far more direct condemnation of the practice that Ratzinger's discussion of morality), as well as the statements that this cannot be left to the conscience of the individual.

Now I'm not saying Paul was entirely bad as pope, he was far more conciliatory than his successors before the present pope and he did enact some important modern reforms in an institution mired in the past; I am just saying I don't see him necessarily as a person who should be celebrated or emulated (which is my protestant understanding of what a saint is); however, as I am not a RC, IMHO the church can do what it wants and it won't really affect me one way or the other).

rubato

Post by rubato »

Well, it's been cheapened a little now that every box of communion wafers comes with a "DaVinci secret decoder ring" and a canonization certificate suitable for framing, as seen on TV!.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Scooter wrote:"... the pen of he who would become Benedict XVI wrote that I was "objectively disordered" and slammed the church door in my face, a stance that would not be softened until Francis's "who am I to judge".

Isn't that a lot like being kicked out of the Nazis?

yrs,
rubato