If Jesus were on earth today...

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.

...would he be

At a Trump rally
11%
Walking with the caravan
89%

Total votes: 9

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Let's see what sort of Christianity folks here profess.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Re: If Jesus were on earth today...

Post by Lord Jim »

Well...

He'd want to be with the caravan to bring comfort and hope to the suffering, but He'd also want to be where he could reach the most sinners whose souls needed saving... (The Trump rally)

And at the Trump rally of course, he would also have the opportunity to strike down a false idol...

For those reasons I think Jesus would want to be at both, and since both wasn't an option I didn't vote...
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I agree with your reasoning, Jim, but since "both" was not an option I put him with the caravan.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My question would be did Jesus really go seeking sinners out, or did he only attempt to save those who came to him freely with a desire to change?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Personally I don’t think he would be in either place. But he probably would comment on it.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter wrote:My question would be did Jesus really go seeking sinners out, or did he only attempt to save those who came to him freely with a desire to change?
Well, he did go into the temple a number of times to preach and reach the sinners and those who perverted the law, but I believe such preaching was a common tradition of the time where many could rise and give their views. But besides those points, it appears he was more of an itinerant preacher who stood in public areas and preached. But otherwise, you are correct--he did not try to impose his views on anyone (except maybe the moneychangers at the temple) and just presented his message and leave it to the individual to decide.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

There's not enough voting options for me.

Seeing that Jesus was long dead before he became an enormous internationally famous folk legend, it's hard for me to know for sure what the Jewish carpenter's true behavior was like "behind closed doors," so to speak.

If I equate him to popular contemporary ministers like Jimmy Swaggert, Jim Bakker, or Joel Olsteen, I'd say Jesus would go where the money is. A ministry geared more towards a converted "Houston Astrodome" type of crowd rather than immigrants. However, the Trump crowd is easily duped so maybe ol' JC would insinuate himself into that crowd to see how he'd fare.

Unfortunately, knowing what the "original, non-western" Jesus looked like I can't see him with too much charismatic ability. Simply put, would you buy a used donkey from this guy?

I love hypotheticals. If my aunt had testicles would she be my uncles?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Go for the money? I seriously doubt it; then, as well as now, the rich were not executed. I think he'd be more akin to Mother Teresa than Swaggart, et al., lacking any money or power to get out of the trap his enemies set. And he seemed more likely to annoy those in power than to court them the way those mega ministers do.

As for "duping" people, there would have been no point. The historical jesus appeared to have no great power or wealth, nor was he attempting to take over anything, so such duping would not appear to be any advantage for him.

Now Paul likely would have gone to Trump rallies, maybe Peter as well, but I just don't see jesus there.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm sure there's already a lot of Jesus's in the caravan walk. If Jesus Christ were alive, he'd probably not be involved in US politics.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Double post

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:Simply put, would you buy a used donkey from this guy?

Well, since all the other donkey sellers also looked like that, what difference would that make?
RayThom wrote:I love hypotheticals. If my aunt had testicles would she be my uncles?
Only if she was also a contortionist who could then complete an act of self-reproduction which so far has been shown to be, if not physiologically and anatomically impossible, at least extremely difficult to perform ... and would no doubt be as uncomfortable as hell during the commission of same.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Maybe it is impossible, but that doesn't prevent a lot of people from telling others to try and accomplish that act.

And I do long for the day when asses were sold for transportation and not elected president.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

WWGOPJD?

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Based solely on the red letters in the New Testament, the alleged actual words of Jesus, there is NO way he'd be in with the prosperity gospel preachers like Osteen, et al., nor would he have anything to do with the Evangelical Christians who have taken control of the GOP and ardently support Donald Trump.

The Jesus of the New Testament, taken by his plain words, would be like Mother Teresa, living among and ministering to - physically and spiritually - the poorest among us. Of the choices offered I voted for 'with the caravan', but I'm guessing he'd really be someplace like Yemen with people like this:

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

What an insult to Christians for this creature, this greasy satan worshiper to question God.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Anyone who is not questioning God is not paying attention.

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:Anyone who is not questioning God is not paying attention.

snailgate
Exactly. Also failing at bringing godliness into the world.
GAH!

liberty

Post by liberty »

snailgate
I am not talking about “anyone” talking about satan.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:

snailgate
Exactly. Also failing at bringing godliness into the world.
That’s not god’s fault.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Indeed, that's why god encourages all to question and ponder god's existence and truth; for it is only through such inquiry that one can understand what godliness is and how to spread that grace to all.