TGIF

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
RayThom

TGIF

Post by RayThom »

What's so good about it?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: TGIF

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:What's so good about it?
Two guys who deserved it were put to death, and as the song says,

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

As I recall, they were but petty thieves - hardly deserving of crucifixion.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:As I recall, they were but petty thieves - hardly deserving of crucifixion.
You're applying the sensibilities of modern day to the realities of two millennia ago.  They were criminals, and that was the way of the world at that time.
Remember, they also stoned people for adultery; nowadays, cohabitation, sexual congress, and even procreation outside of wedlock doesn't cause so much as a raised eyebrow anymore.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My heathen daughter asked if today's the day that baby Jesus come out to look for his shadow.

I blame the parents.

RayThom

TGIF

Post by RayThom »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:My heathen daughter asked if today's the day that baby Jesus come out to look for his shadow.
I blame the parents.
JMJ / +.

PFFT! What a silly goose. Everyone knows it's was Easter when they rolled away the stone at the tomb and Jesus would come out looking for His shadow.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
BoSoxGal wrote:As I recall, they were but petty thieves - hardly deserving of crucifixion.
You're applying the sensibilities of modern day to the realities of two millennia ago.  They were criminals, and that was the way of the world at that time.
Remember, they also stoned people for adultery; nowadays, cohabitation, sexual congress, and even procreation outside of wedlock doesn't cause so much as a raised eyebrow anymore.
-"BB"-
I guess lesser crimes could result in scourging in ancient Rome, but even in colonial america conviction of a felony (you know, capital crimes including theft, except for very trivial theft) resulted in execution (unless clemency was granted--and even then it was only granted once); incarceration was till a good way off

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
-"BB"-
I guess lesser crimes could result in scourging in ancient Rome, but even in colonial america conviction of a felony (you know, capital crimes including theft, except for very trivial theft) resulted in execution (unless clemency was granted--and even then it was only granted once); incarceration was till a good way off