The face of tomorrow

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

The face of tomorrow

Post by Gob »

What is the face of London, New York, Paris? What does a Londoner, a New Yorker, a Parisian look like?

The Face of Tomorrow is a concept for a series of photographs that addresses the effects of globalization on identity.

The large metropolises of the world are magnets for migrants from all parts of the planet resulting in new mixtures of peoples. What might a typical inhabitant of this new metropolis look like in one or two hundred years if they were to become more integrated?

In Turkey and particularly in Istanbul, situated as it is at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, of the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, you can see how this process has been at work over the last thousand years as waves of humanity from Central Asia, Arabia, Greece and Rome have been absorbed. The resulting population is fairly uniform suggesting that if you could combine all the faces in a city right now you would be looking at the future face of that city.

The Face of Tomorrow attempts to find this face by taking photographs of the current inhabitants and compositing their faces to create a typical face. What we get is a new person - a mix of all the people in that city. A face that doesn't exist right now, but a face, it seems, of someone quite real

Visit the Face of Tomorrow exposition in the Contemporary Art Museum Saint Gery in Second Life.

The Museum is a faithful reproduction of the renown Neo-Renaissance Market Hall Saint Gery, built in 1881 and located in real life in the "heart" of the European Capital in Brussels, Belgium.

London

ImageImage
Buenos Aires
ImageImage
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

loCAtek

Re: The face of tomorrow

Post by loCAtek »

Hey, I know her ...!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Judging from this, it's a pretty good-looking future.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not really it's just "averaging out " the sum of all the faces taken at a given location. given enough faces they all look the same.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

thestoat

Post by thestoat »

I thought the average New Yorker looked like this? ...
If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

So unlike the average Brit:

Timster

Post by Timster »

Yet... you see how God compensates for the lower dental to fit perfectly into the upper?

Very tidy that...

Edited to add: Hence God must be British... or Welsh or fuck it. This must be the face of tomorrow... The rising deficit must cancel the dental plan. :D
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

thestoat

Post by thestoat »

Nice one @merican, but the pic cannot possibly be of a Brit since the chap in that pic is smiling :D
If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

That's not a smile, it's a snarl.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Hmmmm, I'd say the Stoat was snarling, and the chap was LOLing. :D

thestoat

Post by thestoat »

I agree that the chap looks like he is smiling, and therefore cannot be a Brit in today's climate. But I did LOL myself when I saw the response from @meric@nwom@n

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

...could he be, oh I dunno, an Aborigine? (looks like one) ...of the Commonwealth Realm: Australia, who are not (according to your vid) part of the UK, therefore are NOT Brits, and hold no teeth associated with (snarling or smiling) the Crown? :D

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Don't know what the face of tomorrow will be but I have a cousin who moved to Sweden about 15 years ago and saw him (after not seeing him for some 10 years) looked very "European" whatever that means, but he no longer looked "American"

Gob

Post by Gob »

What? He looked like he had taste, style, class and intelligence you mean O-n-W?

Sorry,. sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll go sit in the naughty corner... :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

There can be some noticeable changes to a person; caused by their environment.

Asians think most Westerns have an unpleasant odor to them (probably because of the high meat and fat diet). So much so, the Viet Cong said they could smell where the Americans were. However, put a Westerner on a vegetarian diet and their scent changes.

When the topic about Mexicans came up, I forgot to mention that it's Hispanics in the US that tend to be overwieght. In our native land, we stay pretty well in shape with our natural resources; in the US the diet is much richer to us and we can get fat on it easily ...much like the rest of the country.

So, if you're all eating, drinking and breathing the same thing; you tend to look alike. 8-)