Those who call themselves Christians

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Lord Jim

Re: Those who call themselves Christians

Post by Lord Jim »

I don't find this joke particularly amusing, but I have to say that when it comes to determining whether or not a joke is funny, "Does it have complete and detailed historical and factual accuracy?" isn't high on my list of considerations...

(This appears to be the central consideration in determining humor value for Meade... 8-) )

I'm more a "does it make me laugh?" kinda guy...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Meade is the type of guy who complains about historical inaccuracies at a Renaissance festival.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:D :lol: :nana

You guys are so serious!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:Meade is the type of guy who complains about historical inaccuracies at a Renaissance festival.
There's definitely enough of those to keep him busy for a while, if the Renaissance festivals I've been to are any indication.  Take the people walking around chowing down on an entire turkey leg.  Turkey legs in Edwardian England?  Not bloody likely!!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:... There's definitely enough of those to keep him busy for a while, if the Renaissance festivals I've been to are any indication. Take the people walking around chowing down on an entire turkey leg.  Turkey legs in Edwardian England?  Not bloody likely!!
BB, as you know, I'm slow on the uptake so help me out here.

Renaissance festivals try to recreate the times around the Tudor dynasty -- 1490 thru 1550. It's Henry VIII we associate with chomping on a turkey leg.

Edwardian England was between 1901 thru 1910. Of course, eating habits were much more refined by then and people would not be seen at any polite English festival -- back then or modern day recreation -- walking around with a fistful of turkey.

What am I missing?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Of course I know when the Edwardian period was.  In fact, Mr. Banks mentions in song in "Mary Poppins" that it was the first part of the 20th century when he sings "It's good to be an Englishman in 1910 — King Edward's on the throne and it's the age of men."

I distinctly and definitely typed "Elizabethan".  Really I did.

I suspect Russian interference with my postings.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I assumed that you were talking about Edwards I through VI who were definitely medieval.

There was a verse we heard at school:

Willy Willy Harry Ste
Harry Dick John Harry three . . . .

It goes on in that vein through all the kings and queens from William I (William the Conquerer, first Norman king, 1066 - 1087) to the present.

I tried to find it just now. Hint: don't try googling 'willy willy.'

ETA: this is quickly diverging off topic. But as an example of real life (in the shape of a Guardian article about Notts County the oldest football [soccer to many of you] club in England) imitating art (my finely constructed last sentence above) I found this headline:

Notts County owner Hardy facing FA investigation over intimate picture

• ‘Big Alan’ accidentally published picture of his penis on Twitter
I just hate when that happens.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

"Big Alan" ain't so big.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Big RR wrote:Meade--Well they burned witches in Salem, ... " .

Not so fast.

https://www.history.com/news/were-witch ... tch-trials
Twenty people were eventually executed as witches, but contrary to popular belief, none of the condemned was burned at the stake. In accordance with English law, 19 of the victims of the Salem Witch Trials were instead taken to the infamous Gallows Hill to die by hanging. The elderly Giles Corey, meanwhile, was pressed to death with heavy stones after he refused to enter an innocent or guilty plea. Still more accused sorcerers died in jail while awaiting trial.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Rube, you're a day late (well, more like two days late) and a dollar short.  LJ posted that back on Thursday already.
-"BB"-

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:ok :ok :ok :ok

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

‘Pro-Life’ Christians Celebrate Death Of ‘Pro-Choice’ Rep. Elijah Cummings

More of that Christian love: Many white conservative Christians are celebrating the death of Representative Elijah Cummings because he was pro-choice and anti-Trump.

Cummings, a legendary civil rights leader and long-time Baltimore congressman, died Thursday at the age of 68.

As one might expect, many are praising Cummings for his service and his statesmanship. However, some conservative Christians are celebrating his death.

For example, Right Wing Watch reports that conservative Christian activist and Trump supporter Chris McDonald “streamed a special edition of his ‘The MC Files’ program this morning in response to the news that Democratic Rep. Elijah Cummings had died. McDonald and his guest, Maryland pastor Stacey Shiflett, spent the entire program attacking Cummings as corrupt, unbiblical, and ungodly, and asserting that God had taken his life because of his opposition to President Donald Trump.

On his program, McDonald celebrated Cummings death, declaring:

We know the Bible. You’ve got a leader [Cummings] that has been in office for over 30 years, that opened the door on unfettered abortion in this country.

His civil rights icon status was a joke because he did nothing to bring rights to his people; all he did was divide, all he did was play the race card. He was one of the most extreme, crooked, deceptive, demonic attempt [sic].

He used his power as a member of the Judiciary Committee – he would always twist the law. He would defend corruption. Everything that he’s done has been nothing but trying to take this president out.

I don’t say this with any disrespect to Cummings’ family, but I believe that God had had enough and God moved.

McDonald’s comments are racist, obnoxious, and offensive. Yet they are also representative of many conservative Christians. A quick Twitter search shows that many are celebrating the death of Cummings.

In addition, according to reports, The Hill was forced to “close comments on its post on the death of Elijah Cummings due to God’s Gentle People raining down racist celebrations”

Bottom line: Many conservative Christians are celebrating the death of Representative Elijah Cummings because he was pro-choice and anti-Trump.

Can you feel the Christian love?

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That's simply evil. Ludicrously wrong but not at all funny. I don't know what faith these people follow, but it's not that of Christ and the Bible. Racism is their key.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

st thomas.jpg
st thomas.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Did y'all drive down to Kentucky fer the chicken and exorcism? Or is that an ad fer next year?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:Did y'all drive down to Kentucky fer the chicken and exorcism? Or is that an ad fer next year?
Next year? You'd need to drive back in time. That sign was from 1942.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Are you saying they can't re-use a sign?