I'm sure that wes & the village idiot already bought theirs

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Televangelist Jim Bakker sells $45 Trump coin, calls it ‘point of contact’ with God

For only $45 you can establish a “point of contact” with God via a gold-plated coin engraved with President Trump and King Cyrus’ faces — according to the “Jim Bakker Show” at least.

The coin is being peddled by Lance Wallnau, who claims God told him people need it to pray for Trump.

“When I asked the Lord, ‘Why the coin?’ he said ‘Because when you take the coin, it’s a point of contact,’” Wallnau said in the recording. “So your faith is being released with a million other believers to pray protection and peace and wisdom and counsel over the president of the United States and over his family.”

The coin features Trump and Cyrus along with the words “The 70 Year Decree” and “Cyrus-Trump Proclamation.” Trump was compared by some to the Persian king after recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in 2017.

The coin’s reverse also seems to imply a link between the 45th president and Isaiah 45:1 in the Bible which reads, “Thus saith the Lord to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kinds of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates shall not be shut.”

Wallnau used the classic “us against them” selling tactic, saying “That’s why we’ve got to pray, because they think we’re crazy. But we’re actually the sane ones so we’re praying.”

He then reminds potential buyers again that the 24-carat gold coin is a “point of contact.”

Wallnau finishes his pitch by telling viewers that the “battle for the future of America has already started” and there are 18 months until the 2020 election.

“God’s begun a miracle,” Wallnau said. “Let’s keep that miracle going."
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: I'm sure that wes & the village idiot already bought the

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I seem to recall that same God getting royally pissed at the Chosen People for worshiping another golden idol (the story of the Golden Calf in the book of Exodus).  And Jesus Himself said "You cannot serve both God and money [mammon]” during the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6:19–24)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I also recall how Jesus dealt with the money changers in the Temple--changing their local coin for coins the temple authorities decreed were pleasing to god and could be brought into the Temple. So we're back to the "den of thieves" but even the temple auhtroties didn't dare to presume to say those coins could be used to contact god.

And these charlatans claim they are christian and follow the teachings of jesus. Assholes!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Err yes they sort of did seeing as the temple had its own currency for exclusive use for temple activities.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, they did say this was the only currency which could be brought into the temple and used to purchase animals for sacrifice, but they never said the coins should be retained a a point of contacting god--which seems to me to be kind of like a radio transmitter to heaven.

Also, those coins were sacred because they did not have the graven image of Caesar on their faces; not to confuse Trump with any Caesar (he has nowhere near the intelligence, and those who were emperors led armies and didn't shrink and hide behind bone spurs), but I cannot see how this graven image could be seen as a point of contact with god--it couldn't even have been brought into the temple then.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I thought Jim Bakker and his wife, Tammi, were dead?

Did they create a monster who's peddling the same old shit? If so, that's troubling.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Tammy is dead,, but with all that makeup her image lives on. Hers was clearly the only body at the funeral that looked the same as she did in life. It probably still does.

I never figured out how Jim came back to prominence after serving a jail sentence, but you never go broke with overestimating the stupidity of people.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Jim Bakker is back with a new singing wifey, in a much more low budget and downscale version from his heyday in the 70s and 80s...

My MIL watches him occasionally; he looks like Poop Deck Pappy from the Popeye cartoons, and spends most of the shows hawking freeze-dried survivalist chow:
Return to televangelism

In 2003, he began broadcasting the daily The Jim Bakker Show at Studio City Café in Branson, Missouri with his second wife, Lori;[54] it is carried on the CTN, Daystar, Folk TV, Grace Network (Canada), GEB America, Hope TV (Canada) Impact Network, WGN, WHT, TCT Network, The Word Network, Uplifttv networks.[55][56] Most of Bakker's audience receives his program on DirecTV and Dish Network.[57] [A big come down from the 100s of broadcast channels he was carried on] Bakker condemned the prosperity theology that he took part in earlier in his career and has embraced apocalypticism.[13] His show has a millennial, survivalist focus and sells buckets of freeze-dried food to his audience in preparation for the end of days.[58] Elspeth Reeve wrote in The Atlantic that Bakker's doomsday food is overpriced.[59] A man named Jerry Crawford, who credits Bakker with having saved his marriage, invested $25 million dollars in a new ministry for Bakker in Blue Eye, Missouri, named Morningside. Production for The Jim Bakker Show moved to Morningside in 2008.[13] In 2013, Bakker wrote Time Has Come: How to Prepare Now for Epic Events Ahead about end-time events.[60]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bakker
Last edited by Lord Jim on Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Yikes! Jim Bakker is still alive? That's distressing.

He's beyond redemption. If there's a Hell he's going to it.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Tammy Faye Bakker Messner's ashes are buried in a small cemetery at Waldron Kansas, SW of Wichita about 60 miles. No amount of makeup could improve her looks now. Her second husband, Roe Messner, grew up there. Messner was a close friend of Jim Bakker. He was a BIG contractor, building many religious buildings, as well as a significant amount of the Bakker's ill fated "amusement" (?) park. I used to know Messner's daughter Roeann. That was way before Mrs Mc. The Messners were nice people, even if Roe married Tammy Faye while her ex-hubby was locked up.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article7809138.html
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.