It's That Time Of Year

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
RayThom

It's That Time Of Year

Post by RayThom »

A Merry Sukkot to our Jewish friends.

Don't eat too many stuffed dumplings.

Chag Sameach!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Sue U

Re: It's That Time Of Year

Post by Sue U »

I recently saw it referred to as the "shake a lemon at God" holiday. Around my house we call it "Huddle in the Hut."

In ancient times this was the biggest celebration of the year, with a carnival-like party atmosphere outside the Temple in Jerusalem. It's one of our three oldest holidays, and I enjoy it for its historicity as much as anything else.
חג סוכות שמח
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

What's the answer for people who believe, "My idea of camping is a five star resort at the beach"?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

My own personal philosophy is, "We had to camp in the desert for 40 years; we don't have to do that anymore."

But honestly, I don't think anyone around here actually sleeps in their sukkah. When I was a kid we did it a couple of times when the holiday was "early" and the weather still warm-ish, just as an adventure. If I lived in the Middle East, I might be tempted (weather in Tel Aviv this past week: highs in the mid 80s, lows in the low 70s) .

ETA:

I just took the dog out for a walk and, despite the drizzle, it seems the new family that moved in down on the corner last month is having one heck of a Sukkot party. It sounds like there's about 20 people in their sukkah and they are singing and banging on tables VERY loudly.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Once again, the holidays ain't over til you huddle in the hut for a week.

Happy Sukkot, everyone!
!חג סוכות שמח
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »