I'm Chinese...

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

I'm Chinese...

Post by Gob »

Anyone should be allowed to ‘identify’ as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, according to Left-wing university leaders.

The Universities and Colleges Union has set out its stance in a report on the ongoing row about whether men should be able to self-identify as women and be treated as female regardless of their anatomy.

The UCU’s ‘position statement’ did not just stand by its support for self-identification of gender, but also insisted people can choose their own race, saying: ‘Our rules commit us to ending all forms of discrimination, bigotry and stereotyping. UCU has a long history of enabling members to self-identify whether that is being black, disabled, LGBT+ or women.’

Recognising ‘self-defined’ women as fully female is deeply controversial among many feminists and others. Theresa May’s Government considered changing the law to allow people to choose their own gender, but Ministers have put those plans on hold after a backlash from female voters.

Many female academics say they have faced harassment from students and activists for questioning trans-inclusive policies, and several high-profile female speakers including Germaine Greer and Dame Jenni Murray have been ‘no platformed’ from university debates for their refusal to accept that anyone who says they are a woman must be accepted as female.

But the union’s position on race was last night mocked as the latest ‘nonsensical’ demonstration of ‘woke’ thinking imported from US campuses. The self-identification of race has proved highly controversial in the US: in 2015, Rachel Dolezal resigned as an official with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People after her white parents disputed her claim to be black.

The British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen also came under fire in the US over his character Ali G, a white man from Staines who asks critics: ‘Is it because I is black?’

In Britain, the actor Anthony Lennon – born in London to Irish parents – faced criticism last year when it emerged he had won funding from an Arts Council scheme to help ethnic minority actors develop their stage careers, because he ‘identifies’ as a ‘born-again African’.

Kathleen Stock, a philosophy professor at Sussex University and UCU member, last night questioned the union’s position on race, saying it was ‘nonsensical, anti-intellectual propaganda’.

The UCU is led by Jo Grady, a lecturer at Sheffield University Management School. A union spokesman confirmed that the UCU considers it is up to individuals to choose if they wish to be recognised as black.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aders.html
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Re: I'm Chinese...

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty

Post by liberty »

That’s ok by me; I am Eurasian of the continent Eurasia. My people had a contented life on the grasslands at the heart of the continent until we were persuaded to move. When a Eurasians die their souls return to the ancient steppes to live forever under the glory of God.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

The truth, and why this whole "debate" is just stupid:
"There ain't a white man in this room that would trade places with me. None of you. None of you would trade places with me -- and I'm rich! That's how good it is to be white." -- Chris Rock
The only people who claim to want to identify as an oppressed minority -- and more importantly, think they should have the luxury to do so -- are people who have the comfort of actually being a member of the majority/oppressor class. How do you think it's going to go for any "black" person who claims to identify as "white"? "You can't shoot me, officer, I'm white." Hell, even President Obama couldn't identify as "white," and he actually has the white family to prove it.

When I went to university back in the 70s I became friendly with an African-American guy who lived down the hall in my dorm. Some of the kids in the Black Student Union were giving him shit for preferring to hang out with me. So I said them, "Fine, I'll join the BSU; are you gonna tell me I'm not black? What test are you gonna use? What makes you black enough?" And after that, everything was cool.

It is the concept of "race" itself that is ‘nonsensical, anti-intellectual propaganda’ -- even more so than gender identity. We all have African heritage -- some just more recently than others. What is wrong with letting people just be who they are? How does it harm you if someone else is gay or transgender or "black" or "white"? So much fuss about so little consequence.

ETA:

Writing this got me to thinking about those days, so I googled my friend from school. I haven't talked to him for 40 years; turns out he became a lawyer too, after working for newspapers for a number of years! We always did have a lot in common; now I'm just shocked I haven't run into him professionally over all that time.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Jun 19, 2008 7:59 am HKT

A high court in South Africa ruled on Wednesday that Chinese-South Africans will be reclassified as "black," a term that includes black Africans, Indians and others who were subject to discrimination under apartheid. As a result of this ruling, ethnically Chinese citizens will be able to benefit from government affirmative action policies aimed at undoing the effects of apartheid.

In 2006, the Chinese Association of South Africa sued the government, claiming that its members were being discriminated against because they were being treated as whites and thus failed to qualify for business contracts and job promotions reserved for victims of apartheid. The association successfully argued that, since Chinese-South Africans had been treated unequally under apartheid, they should be reclassified in order to redress wrongs of the past.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:That’s ok by me; I am Eurasian of the continent Eurasia. My people had a contented life on the grasslands at the heart of the continent until we were persuaded to move. When a Eurasians die their souls return to the ancient steppes to live forever under the glory of God.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

Kareem Abdul Jabbar:

"Abdul-Jabbar then spoke to Dolezar's fierce commitment to fighting on behalf of black people.

"You can't deny that Dolezal has proven herself a fierce and unrelenting champion for African-Americans politically and culturally," he wrote. "Whatever the reason, she has been fighting the fight for several years and seemingly doing a first-rate job... Bottom line: The black community is better off because of her efforts."

He concluded:

...the fight for equality is too important to all Americans to lose someone as passionate as she is and who has accomplished as much as she has. This seems more a case of her standing up and saying, “I am Spartacus!” rather than a conspiracy to defraud. Let’s give her a Bill Clinton Get Out of Jail Free card on this one (#Ididnothavesex) and let her get back to doing what she clearly does exceptionally well—making America more American.

It’s given me the courage to also say, “I am Spartacus. All 5’8” of me.”"

I have to agree with Kareem on this one. One aspect of racism is that it took away from some people the ability to choose their ethnic or cultural identity. Black people were told "no, you are black that is who you are and that is what is important about your identity". They might be 80% European bit they were not allowed to claim that identity as long as they "looked" black. The degree to which I claim to be Danish is entirely up to me. The importance attached to it is solely up to my preference. Or I can claim my Swedish heritage is all-important. Or I can choose any other; English, French &c. Or why should it not be based on affirmation rather than genetics?

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Affirmative identity is a fact of consciousness not genetics.

Saying that genetics is all-important is just foolishness.

yrs,
rubato