Christmas in America, 2019

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

CALIFORNIA
Claremont nativity scene depicts Jesus, Mary and Joseph as refugees separated in cages

Story here
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Christmas in America, 2019

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Trump tweets response

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Trump supporters lose their minds when church shows Nativity scene in immigrant cages

MAGA supporters are losing their minds after a photo of the Nativity scene at Claremont United Methodist Church was posted to Facebook.

The scene depicts Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus separated and put in their own cages, a reference to the families separated at the U.S.-Mexico border. Inside the church, the family is shown as reunited.

Senior minister Karen Clark Ristine shared the image on Facebook with the message hoping that everyone in the United States could see the photo and read the story for Christmas.

“The theological statement posted with the nativity: In a time in our country when refugee families seek asylum at our borders and are unwillingly separated from one another, we consider the most well-known refugee family in the world,” she wrote. “Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, the Holy Family. Shortly after the birth of Jesus, Joseph and Mary were forced to flee with their young son from Nazareth to Egypt to escape King Herod, a tyrant. They feared persecution and death.”

She went on to ask what would likely happen to the Holy family if they sought refuge in the United States today.

“Imagine Joseph and Mary separated at the border and Jesus no older than two taken from his mother and placed behind the fences of a Border Patrol detention center as more than 5,500 children have been the past three years,” she continued. “Jesus grew up to teach us kindness and mercy and a radical welcome of all people.”

She cited Matthew 25:35, which quotes Jesus expressing his gratitude for those who fed him when he was hungry and welcomed him in, even though he was a stranger. It’s not something generally upheld by Evangelical Christians supporting President Donald Trump.

“In the Claremont United Methodist Church nativity scene this Christmas, the Holy Family takes the place of the thousands of nameless families separated at our borders,” said the senior minister.

Comments on the post have taken a turn for the ugly, with those who disagree with the depiction attacking the church, the minister, conspiracy theories, and more.

“Imagine taking money you could have spent helping the indigent and spending it on barbed wire and cages to virtue signal,” commented Victor Hamby.

The church’s website gives details about the church’s work with asylum seekers and the $10,000 they recently raised for Justice For Our Neighbors, a group that gives free legal counsel for detained and separated children.

Joseph, Mary, and Jesus were not refugees. (ever hear of the flight into Egypt, dumbass?) Bethlehem was their home town. That is a despicable nativity,” proclaimed Jared Stanley. Jesus was actually Galilean from Nazareth, which is why he’s generally referred to as Jesus from Nazareth.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Better watch it; Trump will order the slaughter of all firstborn males. Of course, his heart will not then turn to stone, he has no heart.
As for for
Imagine taking money you could have spent helping the indigent and spending it on barbed wire and cages to virtue signal,” commented Victor Hamby.
I agree; let's imagine that, and imagine what use the US money for such barbed wire and cages could be put.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Jesus H. Christ, everyone knows Jesus, Mary, and Joseph weren't Muslims nor from Central America.

Fundamentalist christians unite. Righteous indignation must be expressed.

To paraphrase the infamous Mexican bandit, Gold Hat, "Cages? They don't need no steenkin' cages."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Don't be silly. That's Jesús, Maria and Jose.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:Better watch it; Trump will order the slaughter of all firstborn males. Of course, his heart will not then turn to stone, he has no heart.
I think that's what the illustration Meade posted as 'Trump tweets response' refers to.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Does it mean we get rid of Don Jr. and Jared Kushner? :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No, they must have a physical age of 2 years or less. Mental age doesn't count
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Meade is correct.  You've gotten the Massacre of the Innocents (Matt 12:16-18) mixed up with the Tenth Plague of Egypt from the book of Exodus (chapters 11 and 12), which "passed over" the Jews because they had been instructed by the Lord to smear the blood of a lamb upon the doorframes of their houses as a sign.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Yet another reason to leave the US for the holidays.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I apologize Meade, but face it, Trump thinks he's much more like a god than a king--hence killing the first born suited him better, at least in his mind.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:I apologize Meade
Unnecessary. Both are appropriate in characterizing the 2020 Republican cannedidiot.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That cartoon is as sad as the photo at the beginning of this thread; what a country.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Christmas in America 2019

Post by RayThom »

Our Lady of Guadalupe -- a nice detail for keeping it real.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Wasn't that camp the winner of 'The Great Christmas Light Fight' on ABC?

The Grinch who stole the White House was so pleased.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown