Be Here Now

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Burning Petard

Be Here Now

Post by Burning Petard »

Ram Das, aka Richard Alpert, died yesterday. He was 88.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Z-6lQHlsE ... ko7le5ukoz

I have given away many copies of that blue book. I wrote in a review in Amazon that it was the best book I have never read. Still true. I pick up the book read for a while, then put it down and go on to do something. I love the comment that you can starve to death reading recipe books. I have a brother-in-law who was an intake evaluator psychologist for a Funny Farm in the town where Ram Dass' parents summered in New England. The BIL has stories of amazing contacts between Ram Das and outpatients who were allowed to go into town. Ram Das advanced their recovery by just shooting the breeze with them about baseball over a beer. To the point that the 'Doctors' in the mental hospital tried to discover when Ram Dass was in town and keep the patients on the grounds of the hospital during those times--he was embarrassing them with his effectiveness.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Re: Be Here Now

Post by BoSoxGal »

RIP
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Be Here Now

Post by RayThom »

He was a rare bird, for sure.

Early on I tried shrooms and acid (at different times, of course. Hey, I'm no fool) to achieve that special level of enlightenment. However, I'm pretty sure I missed my chances 'bythismuch' to reach a higher consciousness.

It was fun partaking in the rite of the blotter even though my trip sitter once tried to convince me I was a lemon and had to get back into the refrigerator.

Although I was impressionable I didn't fall for it. Besides, the door wouldn't close properly.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”