That's what followers of every religion say

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

That's what followers of every religion say

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Re: That's what followers of every religion say

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

M: No it isn't!

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Me, I love a good dialectic, be it three ten-word sentences or three thousand pages books. The opening of this thread ain't it.

snailgate

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:ok Meade got it, anyway...

BTW, I can think of several exceptions to the "every religion" assertion, and I'll bet most of you can, too. Oh, and the theist (Christian?) really doesn't come across as any better than the atheist in this exchange. I wonder which one of them paid one pound for those five wasted minutes? ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote:the theist (Christian?) really doesn't come across as any better than the atheist in this exchange
That's true - also the dubious "every religion" statement has many holes. Snail got it too - the dialectic is a no show in the meme(?). Or should that be, deo-lectic? :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: