F****r of the year

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
TPFKA@W

F****r of the year

Post by TPFKA@W »

https://deadstate.org/televangelist-ken ... he-church/

In a recent broadcast on his Victory Live TV show, televangelist Kenneth Copeland warned his followers to keep donating to the church, even if they lose their jobs as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

In a video clip flagged by Right Wing Watch, Copeland lamented the “fear” and uncertainty the outbreak is instilling in his followers.

“Hey, your job is not your source,’ Copeland said. “If it is, you’re in trouble. Jesus is your source.”

“Whatever you do right now, don’t you stop tithing. Don’t you stop sowing offerings,” he said, adding that even if churches close down, people should “email it in there, text give or something.”

“You get your tithe in that church if you have to go take it down there and stick in under the door or something,” he continued. “You get that tithe in that church, you get that offering in that church, and then you go home and do what you’re supposed to do.”

Gob

Re: F****r of the year

Post by Gob »

But they must, or God won't love them...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

But if you have no income, wouldn't tithing mean giving 10% of nothing?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:52 pm
But they must, or God won't love them...
Not so

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.

Psalm 51:16-17

But Copeland... despising sounds about right
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

https://www.openbible.info/topics/tithes_and_offering

Pick and choose whichever fits your own personal beliefs...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh yes, tithes and offerings are important to the church body. It's what enables us to pay the light bill, repair the building, support missionaries and so on. But the point is that tithes do not replace obedience to God. Which requires disobedience to asshat ministers
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:53 am
Oh yes, tithes and offerings are important to the church body. It's what enables us to pay the light bill, repair the building, support missionaries and so on. But the point is that tithes do not replace obedience to God. Which requires disobedience to asshat ministers
And I get that the churches have bills to pay. Locally, there was a call out to continue the tithing to the churches to keep things running, such as the food pantries and other charitalbe offerings and it did not send me off like this did because this asshole has 2 jets and is much like Osteen who is worth $110 million.

This one is worth $760 million. I submit anyone amassing that much wealth has no real good intentions.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm nothing close to being a fan of Copeland, but it doesn't sound like he is telling people to send money to him; rather, he is telling people to continue tithing to their own churches. Whether he should be saying that to people who are losing their jobs is another question, but it doesn't seem like he is suggesting that they should be lining his pockets.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:shrug
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm
Billy Graham organization is running ads like crazy evangelizing to scared viewers - there’s a prayer line advertised which I suspect starts with an encouraging prayer exchange and ends with a hard sell to donate.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:03 pm
This one is worth $760 million. I submit anyone amassing that much wealth has no real good intentions.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:But Copeland... despising sounds about right
and
disobedience to asshat ministers
I hope I made my position clear on this..... :shrug

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:03 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:But Copeland... despising sounds about right
and
disobedience to asshat ministers
I hope I made my position clear on this..... :shrug
That you are hopeless? :nana

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No, not that position. The other one

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Missionary?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That's still the first one

rubato

Post by rubato »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Every bit of it.

yrs,
rubato

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

rubato wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:51 am
Big RR wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Every bit of it.

yrs,
rubato
My thoughts exactly.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, I think for those with no income, that 10% could be reduced to just 5. We all must pull together in this

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

We should be reminded that the church is NOT the building. It's the PEOPLE who make up the church. This was pointed out to by a friend who reminded me that he never says "I'm going to the church". He always says "I'm going to the church building". I had not noticed his phrasing before, but once he mentioned it, I started listening.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:37 pm
We should be reminded that the church is NOT the building. It's the PEOPLE who make up the church. This was pointed out to by a friend who reminded me that he never says "I'm going to the church". He always says "I'm going to the church building". I had not noticed his phrasing before, but once he mentioned it, I started listening.
:ok
~ Carl Sagan