Wives should submit to their husbands..

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

Wives should submit to their husbands..

Post by Gob »

I listen to Pastor Gregg on the way home from work, when I've been on an evening shift. He's got a lovely voice. Most of the time I listen for entertainment as he talks a load of horse, but last night's sermon made me think he may be onto something;
The Principle of Authority in Marriage

When God calls a woman to submit to the leadership of the man, this is not saying the woman is any less than the man, because she is not. Galations 3:28 says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Jesus Christ."

Although there is no difference between man and woman in the nature of their salvation of standing with God, there is a principle of authority in the family. Those who struggle with this concept will be helped by considering Paul's words: "But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God"
(1 Corinthians 11:3).

What does this verse mean when it says that the "the head of Christ is God"? As we studied earlier in this series, the Bible speaks of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They are coequal and coeternal. This verse is saying that God the Father is the head of Christ—not in essence or nature, but in function. Jesus was in His very nature God, but He laid aside His rights and privileges and humbled Himself as a servant.

The relationship structure of Jesus Christ to God the Father is the same one presented to us in marriage. Though the husband and wife are equal in their standing before God, in order for the family to function in harmony, the woman, with no loss of dignity, takes the place of submission to the headship of her husband.

God's divine design intends that the wife's respect, help and obedience would be matched by her husband's servant leadership as they submit together to the lordship of Jesus Christ and to each other.

I seek my wife's input and wisdom before making most of my decisions. In describing the woman of virtue in Proverbs 31, the following is said:
"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness" (vv.11-12; 25-27 NIV)
There will be times where, in the interest of the family, a husband must make certain decisions that may not be popular. At those times, the wife needs to accept that God, having put her husband in that position of authority, will speak to his heart.

The Motive and Model of Submission

Wives are told to submit to their husbands as to the Lord (Ephesians 5:22). Wives need to submit to their husbands as an act of submission to the Lord. Scripture reminds us, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for man" (Colossians 3:23).

That very attitude can change the way you do everything. Ruth Graham has a sign over her sink that reads, "Divine service done hear daily."

In other words, make that meal, change the diaper, sing that song, perform those household chores as if you were doing that job "unto the Lord." and submit to your husband in the same way.

Those who are in authority over us do not always command our respect. They may not inspire us as we would like them to. We might even disagree with them at times. But we recognize that their authority comes from God. So we do those things "for them" as much as we do it "for the Lord."

http://www.harvest.org/church/index.php/8/20/105.htm
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

@meric@nwom@n

Re: Wives should submit to their husbands..

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I submit this.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Do you really want me to raise one eyebrow at you?
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's god's fucking will, bitches...

:dig

This is the bit that tickled me, I must admit;
In other words, make that meal, change the diaper, sing that song, perform those household chores as if you were doing that job "unto the Lord." and submit to your husband in the same way.
It would appear Pastor Gregg has a somewhat "traditional" view of the woman's roles within a family. :mron
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What would have been better Gob, is to HIghlight his major point and pretend he didn't take that left turn into wackyland and see how long it would take the readership at large to notice it.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

True :)

Ah well, what's done is done...

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sexist!!!!!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sean

Post by Sean »

What's wrong with being sexy?
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Just thought it was worth noting
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I liked Judge Judy's answer when she was asked about women submitting to their husbands - I'm paraphrasing somewhat - We divide the decision making between us, so that I make all the small decisions, like where we will live, whether to buy a new car, and where to go on vacation. I keave it to him to make the really big decisions, like if we are going to launch a nuclear war.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

One must also remember that husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the Church.

No greater love exists in the universe. ;)

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

dales wrote:One must also remember that husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the Church.

No greater love exists in the universe. ;)
That's the ideal. If more marriages were like that, there would be far fewer divorces and dysfunctional families.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Or maybe we should make marriages more like fixed term contracts?

dales

Post by dales »

Being divorced....I know the pain that a dissolusion of marriage filed with the courts can cause.

I felt very guilty, especially for my then 11-year old daughter.

For the next 5 years she lived with me and saw mom only sporadically.

Mom wanted it that way.

I'm not the type of man who wanted to be "the boss".

I believe in what Scripture says.

Men are to care for their wives and if a HARD DECISION must be made, let the responsibility (good or bad) fall on the man's shoulders.

I still love my ex (agape love) and wish only the best for her.

If one wishes to live in "serial monogomy" during a brief life....I wonder why? :|

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Dales--for those "hard decisions", don't you think two heads are better than one? and, FWIW< where in the bible does it say that men are to make the hard decisions? IMHO if a couple cares for and respects one another, making decisions jointly is a natrual progression.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I may start a new thread on this.....

In fact I will...

dales

Post by dales »

Did Hen say it was OK? :P

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

If I tell her to she will...