Words matter

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
ex-khobar Andy

Words matter

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

A horrifying story in today's Guardian about a family of four (mother, three children) killed in a car crash on the A40 near Oxford. Their church erected a cross as a memorial to the family.
“As Christians we believe that death is not the end of the road, but just a bend in the road.” Bouquets were scattered under the cross for the Powell family.
I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment, but they could have phrased it better.

Burning Petard

Re: Words matter

Post by Burning Petard »

As one who recently was overwhelmed by the separate deaths of two of the closest members of my family. No. they could not have phrased it better.
The way it is said can never come close to transmitting, communicating the terrifying, terrible emotional load of the sudden death. What one says under these circumstances is really like uncontrollable vomiting. It just spews out. Sometimes it splashes on others.. Just try to be gentle and forgiving. Each person must work out their grief in their own way.

snailgate.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:40 pm
A horrifying story in today's Guardian about a family of four (mother, three children) killed in a car crash on the A40 near Oxford. Their church erected a cross as a memorial to the family.
“As Christians we believe that death is not the end of the road, but just a bend in the road.” Bouquets were scattered under the cross for the Powell family.
What is wrong with the words that are used? Not trying to pick a fight I just see anything wrong.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:40 pm
What is wrong with the words that are used? Not trying to pick a fight I just don't see anything wrong.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read that story, it was heartbreaking. Also true is that the father and youngest child are in critical care and from the description of their people carrier by witnesses, they may very well die too. And the family had only just been made homeless very recently by a house fire.

So, life is a journey of indeterminate length often punctuated by terrible road conditions and even places where the road is washed out entirely. To people of Christian faith, the greatest reward is the knowledge that a beautiful life everlasting awaits them upon death of the earthly vessel, however tragic that end. I think in these circumstances especially the pastor probably felt that the road metaphor was apt and would resonate with the flock.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan