Christianism And Our Democracy

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Yeah, I know, I know: it's Andrew Sullivan. But still...he makes a good point, and it explains how so many Republicans can believe so strongly, without evidence, that Biden simply Could. Not. Have. Won.
The fusion of religion and politics on the right has made moderation impossible.

Andrew Sullivan
Dec 11

A long time ago now, frustrated with what I believed was a grotesque fusion of Christianity and politics in the Bush era, I coined the term “Christianism.” I regret it in some ways because it alienated many of the people I was trying to persuade. But its analogy to Islamism was not designed to argue that Christianists were in any way violent; just that, like Islamists, they saw no real distinction between politics and religion.

I mention this because it seems to be a critical element in the current crisis of American democracy that we may now be missing. In a manner very hard to understand from the outside, American evangelical Christianity has both deepened its fusion of church and state in the last few years, and incorporated Donald Trump into its sacred schematic. Christianists now believe that Trump has been selected by God to save them from persecution and the republic from collapse. They are not in denial about Trump’s personal iniquities, but they see them as perfectly consistent with God’s use of terribly flawed human beings, throughout the Old Testament and the New, to bring about the Kingdom of Heaven.

This belief is now held with the same, unwavering fundamentalist certainty as a Biblical text. And white evangelical Christianists are the most critical constituency in Republican politics. If you ask yourself how on earth so many people have become convinced that the 2020 election was rigged, with no solid evidence, and are now prepared to tear the country apart to overturn an election result, you’ve got to take this into account. This faction, fused with Trump, is the heart and soul of the GOP. You have no future in Republican politics if you cross them. That’s why 19 Republican attorneys general, Ted Cruz, and now 106 Congressional Republicans have backed a bonkers lawsuit to try to get the Supreme Court to overturn the result.

Biden’s victory was not God’s will. Therefore it couldn’t have happened. That’s the core conviction. That no court and no judge, including conservative ones, can find any evidence for it in over 50 lawsuits does not matter. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe. “Who cares what I can prove in the courts? This is right. This happened,” declared influential evangelical Eric Metaxas this week, asserting Trump’s victory as a metaphysical truth.
(My emphasis.) Essay continues here.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Christianism And Our Democracy

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Great article, linked on Facebook much to the joy of many of my friends (not)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Within the larger community of the intentional disciples of Jesus, it is common to deny the label of 'Christianity". The post above has some terms that are new to me: Christianism and Christianists. I love 'em. Traditionally, Advent is a time of preparation for the second coming of Jesus. Jesus himself said neither he nor the Angels in heaven knew the time or the hour when this would happen.

But some Schmo says he knows the mind and will of God, so Biden did not win. Amazing.

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Christianists now believe that Trump has been selected by God to save them from persecution and the republic from collapse. They are not in denial about Trump’s personal iniquities, but they see them as perfectly consistent with God’s use of terribly flawed human beings, throughout the Old Testament and the New, to bring about the Kingdom of Heaven.
Seriously, is this really a thing? If it is, how do people get this way?
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Yep. Its real. ex-Gov of Arkansas Mike Huckabee, and his daughter who was Trump's press secretary (famous for not holding press conferences) and many Fundamental/Evangelical American Christians go along with it. The train of thought goes something like this: Big bad stuff all over the earth before the second coming and the perfect rule of God on earth, then what ever we can do to hasten this final war between good and evil is a Good Thing. The chosen people of God gaining control over the entire city of Jerusalem and moving the capital of Israel there is part that string of events.

How do people get that way? I could say 'the Devil made them do it" I prefer to blame human laziness and general cussedness. The bible says things about stiff-necked.

Reminds me of a Southern Baptist preacher I heard recently on the radio confessing that when he was young he made a vow 'to fight like the Devil to please G-d. It took him a while to recognize that made him devilish, not Godly

snailgate

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I'm reminded of this, one of my all-time favorite quotes on the subject of religion:
“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
— Anne Lamott

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Christianity in general is confusing enough for me, but I will never understand this particular cult of Christians.
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:52 pm
Christianity in general is confusing enough for me, but I will never understand this particular cult of Christians.
I know,right? Sums up my thoughts on those who think there is a God at all.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:42 pm
Yep. Its real. ex-Gov of Arkansas Mike Huckabee, and his daughter who was Trump's press secretary (famous for not holding press conferences) and many Fundamental/Evangelical American Christians go along with it. The train of thought goes something like this: Big bad stuff all over the earth before the second coming and the perfect rule of God on earth, then what ever we can do to hasten this final war between good and evil is a Good Thing. The chosen people of God gaining control over the entire city of Jerusalem and moving the capital of Israel there is part that string of events.

How do people get that way? I could say 'the Devil made them do it" I prefer to blame human laziness and general cussedness. The bible says things about stiff-necked.

Reminds me of a Southern Baptist preacher I heard recently on the radio confessing that when he was young he made a vow 'to fight like the Devil to please G-d. It took him a while to recognize that made him devilish, not Godly

snailgate

They forget, of course, that at the end of the world many will follow an antichrist who conveniently tells them what they want to hear. They've hear about it, but fail to realize they're the ones following the antichrist straight to hell.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:22 pm
Sue U wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:52 pm
I know,right? Sums up my thoughts on those who think there is a God at all.
As I have seen many places:

"Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around. And PLEASE don't try to shove it down to my children's throats."
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:ok