'Religious' whackos

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
ex-khobar Andy

Re: 'Religious' whackos

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm
Right there in the piece you posted it says:
the ability to generate taboo language is not an index of overall language poverty.
Er, yes. Straw man.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

assert that my use of foul language evinces a poverty of language ability and/or rhetorical ability.
Sometimes you make up stuff.

I find your excessive vulgarity to be tedious and childish. Nothing to do with "poverty of language ability and/or rhetorical ability". You have many fine words and in the correct order quite often.

BTW still waiting for your skilled argument demonstrating that my rejection of ceramic male arseholes with objects stuffed in them is somehow a demonstration of a failure to adhere to my faith. Your first effort was irrational abuse alone. :ok

PS I recall that on one occasion long ago I posted on this board the "found-on-a-public-bathroom-wall-in-Paignton" adage 'Vulgarity invariably asserts itself where ignorance predominates'. But the non-exclusivity of that humorous remark should be noted and it was years ago.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I really love the foe function here. Buh bye, motherfuckers!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:12 am
Buh bye, motherfuckers!
How many times does this make now?

Don't worry, she'll be back.  She's hooked on this place like like a coke-head on his crack pipe.
Besides, we're probably the only people who'll have her by now (and I mean that in whichever sense of the word you wish to use).
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Never mind the two advanced degrees, one of them with a concentration in rhetoric and years of experience teaching rhetoric. I’m just a silly little cunt with the temerity to swear in so-called polite company.
Ah, but doesn't your inability to function as a normal human being, and total life failure, negate these? :-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob--BSG aside (that's an argument I don't want to get into or be part of--its yours and her business and I have avoided it), education doesn't necessarily have anything to do with success or the ability to finction as a normai human being. Compare Nikola Tesla who had a good technical education and a brilliant mind, but died penniless and , by most standards, a failure. Edison had no real formal education, but functioned much better in the world and was respected by many up to his death an after. Education and success or happiness (or whatever) are all very different things and, while they may sometime show some apparent relationships between them, may not be related very much at all.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Doesn’t it ever occur to you Gob that you only make yourself look like a total wanker with these nasty attacks on me?

Forget the fact that it’s easily Googleable how successful I was in my professional life prior to my physical health breaking down, and that several posters here are actually privvy to my real life details and could confirm that the claims I make about my resume are entirely true. Earning four university degrees, teaching as an adjunct professor at two universities and achieving the role of district attorney and then ownership of a private law practice situated in a beautiful historic home are hardly evidence of total failure in anybody’s book.

You’re admittedly a kept man whose property came to him by inheritance as I recall, and whose life could just as easily come crashing down around him by the cruel hand of chance that is involved in developing a crippling autoimmune disorder. In the work I do now, I see plenty of very successful people whose lives have been destroyed thusly. I won’t wish it on you, but you’re the kind of person who probably should be kicked in the teeth by life to grow some fucking compassion for others.

We used to be friends until you decided to respond to one misunderstanding by attacking me repeatedly for going on a decade now. Any chance you’d send me back the $300 iPod loaded with $1000+ of music that I gave you for nothing but your word that you made a very modest donation to charity? I’ll gladly repay you that modest donation you allegedly made.

Or, you could just stop being such a total cocksucker to me as way of acknowledging that I’ve shown YOU great kindness.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I am a prolific user of profanity. I like it so much that I have made an affirmative effort to expand my vocabulary of vulgarities into several other languages. (Let's face it, there's a lot to curse about these days, and English-only can be very limiting!) I think I know a fair number of highly intelligent people. The absolute smartest person I know I have never heard utter a profanity (and we have been close friends since we were in school together 30 years ago). I'm certain he knows how -- he worked as a cook/chef in NYC for quite a number of years before going to law school.

Words are simply bricks to build a path of communication: if they get an idea from here to there they've done their job. Everything else is just style.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Words are simply bricks to build a path of communication: if they get an idea from here to there they've done their job. Everything else is just style.
:ok :ok :ok :ok

And "profanity" can sometimes communicate an idea that would be difficult to communicate otherwise.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 am
I believe you have misinterpreted BSG's post. She does not (IMO) mean she is leaving the board.

Note that she preceded her witty farewell with "I really love the foe function here". I take this to mean that she will use the system feature to avoid viewing messages from those she designates "foes".

"Foes" appear to be those she believes are having sex with his (or her or their) own mother. In many cases, this would also involve necrophilia. The heroic refusal to avoid intercourse with such people is to be commended. :ok

Guess that means I'm never going to find out which area of Christianity fails in not commending to itself images of anuses with objects stuck in them.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:19 pm
Doesn’t it ever occur to you Gob that you only make yourself look like a total wanker with these nasty attacks on me?
Happy to do so.
Forget the fact that it’s easily Googleable how successful I was in my professional life prior to my physical health breaking down, and that several posters here are actually privvy to my real life details and could confirm that the claims I make about my resume are entirely true
Yet none have, how strange?
Earning four university degrees, teaching as an adjunct professor at two universities and achieving the role of district attorney and then ownership of a private law practice situated in a beautiful historic home are hardly evidence of total failure in anybody’s book.
Four degrees now? How on earth did you pay for them all?
You’re admittedly a kept man whose property came to him by inheritance as I recall,
Wrong!!
and whose life could just as easily come crashing down around him by the cruel hand of chance that is involved in developing a crippling autoimmune disorder. In the work I do now, I see plenty of very successful people whose lives have been destroyed thusly. I won’t wish it on you, but you’re the kind of person who probably should be kicked in the teeth by life to grow some fucking compassion for others.
Remember, I do not live in the USA.
We used to be friends until you decided to respond to one misunderstanding by attacking me repeatedly for going on a decade now. Any chance you’d send me back the $300 iPod loaded with $1000+ of music that I gave you for nothing but your word that you made a very modest donation to charity? I’ll gladly repay you that modest donation you allegedly made.
Nope, that packed in a long time ago.
Or, you could just stop being such a total cocksucker to me as way of acknowledging that I’ve shown YOU great kindness.
I think your years here of hysteria, hyperbole, hypocrisy, manic harridan posts, regular "leaving for good this time," and utter loopiness has cancelled out any good will you may have earned...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You know what Gob, you’re right. I’m a worthless human being offering no redeeming value to this world. I will go kill myself now and give all the credit to you for helping me see that I was a total and complete waste of air. Congratulations!
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 am
I believe you have misinterpreted BSG's post. She does not (IMO) mean she is leaving the board.

Note that she preceded her witty farewell with "I really love the foe function here". I take this to mean that she will use the system feature to avoid viewing messages from those she designates "foes".
I DiD note that and took that into consideration when I posted my message.  If I recall correctly, she has declared that she was placing me on her 'foe' list at least twice, but here she is, still responding to me — or at least was responding to me as recently as 24 hours ago.  So whichever way she meant it when she posted "buh-bye," I still contend that it ain't gonna last.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ah, I see. :ok

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

'Rhetoric' as understood by the ancient Greeks who coined the word and the notion, is the art of persuasion. There is no doubt that profanity (for want of a better word) can be persuasive. However, to many its use is off-putting. If I were trying to convince my granny (RIP) of something, profanity would not have been my first, nor an effective, choice.

I probably used it rarely in my professional life. In science truth is the best persuader and it's by definition proveable. But there were times . . . I'd suggest that because I used swear words infrequently, then when I did it carried and connoted added emphasis.

After I hit 'Submit' I got the 'At least one new post has been added . . .' message.

BSG - no-one here thinks you are a waste of air or a worthless human being. We sometimes disagree and you do seem to take it a little personally. If I had to guess I'd reckon that I'm with you 80% of the time. And I and (I suspect) others welcome your take on matters legal as one who spent time in the trenches.

Trying to help.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:02 pm
'Rhetoric' as understood by the ancient Greeks who coined the word and the notion, is the art of persuasion. There is no doubt that profanity (for want of a better word) can be persuasive. However, to many its use is off-putting. If I were trying to convince my granny (RIP) of something, profanity would not have been my first, nor an effective, choice.
Telegram to Granny:

"Fuck you. Strong letter to follow."
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:02 pm
BSG - no-one here thinks you are a waste of air or a worthless human being. We sometimes disagree and you do seem to take it a little personally. If I had to guess I'd reckon that I'm with you 80% of the time. And I and (I suspect) others welcome your take on matters legal as one who spent time in the trenches.
That. This fight started when I quoted BSG and AGREED with what she had written, endorsing the sentiment except for two words. In return, I received a torrent of abuse. Eventually she falsely accused me of saying that her "use of foul language evinces a poverty of language ability and/or rhetorical ability".

She still hasn't explained how it is that my rejection of ceramic anuses stuffed with objects required her to heap abuse on me, along with the false and irrational charge that it indicates a hypocritical failure to be a Christian. Apparently it's easier to type foul language than it is to speak truth.

PS I'm going to call you ex-khobar-And-I-and-I from now on. (That's a JOKE, Guin).

rubato

Post by rubato »

BSG is an endless source of hilarity.

Not in any positive way, not at all.

yrs,
rubato

liberty

Post by liberty »

Guinevere wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 pm
You’re all a bunch of meatheads. If you’re so upset by language, why doesn’t the constant racist language from Liberty offend you? Why refuse to ignore him?

And if its about name-calling, lots of posters here engage in that device. What just call out one? And a female, at that. God forbid women say “fuck” much less engage in fucking, right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
What racist language? Go ahead and name it when and where; I don’t use racist insults. If you are talking about my use of the word honkey too bad I have a right to use that word; I am a honkey. Black guys can use the “N” word and, I can use the “H” word or cracker. I have a right to take a hate word and make it my own. I am happy to be a honkey cracker. I am proud to be a honkey.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

To go back to the post that started this all. I do know the prime cause as a personality, unlike those who advocate process theology or agnosticism. I use the verb in the second sentence, fully aware of all the nuance and implications. This is not intended as a cause for disputation. It is my own NSHO, that circumstances such as those at the head of this thread, drive the prime cause to use a full assortment of expletive deleted, except not vulgarity or blasphemy. Those are outside the power of the Prime Cause, by human definition.

snailgate