Irony from home

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

Irony from home

Post by Gob »

159620699_10225429403701695_2297536250670541732_n.jpg
Made me chuckle.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Re: Irony from home

Post by Big RR »

Gob--I read this a few times and have a question; does the local Council actually have the authority to control who preaches in the local parish church? Wouldn't that be up to the vicar or bishop?

Gob

Post by Gob »

No ability to control, but able to express their disapproval of it.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I had a discussion (read argument) with members of my church several years back regarding membership at our church. Being American Baptists (not those heathen Southern Baptists, mind you) and believing in the "Priesthood of all Believers", several of us wanted to open membership to people coming from other Christian traditions that may not practice immersion Baptism. This would include those who were Baptized as infants (such as in the Roman Catholic traditions). The same people who railed against how the RC church excludes other Christians were arguing that people who were baptized as infants, grew up in the RC church, went through the confirmation process and have shown a clear profession of faith would require to "get dunked" as a prerequisite of church membership. As I recall, that measure failed at the time. It was later brought up and we added it to our bylaws that immersion is not required for those coming from other traditions.

Unfortunately, the Christians have been long at war with their mortal enemy, the Christians. (See my quip about the Southern Baptists).

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:21 am
No ability to control, but able to express their disapproval of it.
OK, but it said the Council invited the priest and the protestant (I presume) ministers expressed their disapproval.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

eddieq wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:29 pm
Unfortunately, the Christians have been long at war with their mortal enemy, the Christians. (See my quip about the Southern Baptists).
Ah, so you're basically Jews, then.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well Christians had to learn that somewhere.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Plus I'm Irish with some Scottish blood. When we're not busy raising arms against ourselves, we drink

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Being American Baptists (not those heathen Southern Baptists, mind you)
It's never wrong to post Emo Phillips on the subject . . .

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:52 pm
]

OK, but it said the Council invited the priest and the protestant (I presume) ministers expressed their disapproval.
I took it that the council, (local government,) invited the Catholic to something they had organised in a local church.

Religion is all a bit "people's front of Judea" isn't it?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

err.. Judean Peoples Front
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:38 pm
err.. Judean Peoples Front
SPLITTER!

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:08 pm
Being American Baptists (not those heathen Southern Baptists, mind you)
It's never wrong to post Emo Phillips on the subject . . .

Gotta watch those 1912ers.