And the Paschal festivals begin...

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

And the Paschal festivals begin...

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Re: And the Paschal festivals begin...

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Interesting enough, rabbit meat — along with meat from camels and swine — is treyf.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

As I understand it, (and I am very ignorant about this stuff) in the USofA, the bitter herbs are usually horseradish.

Which to me is not bitter at all--just hot. And I grew up with home-made horseradish sauce. Always was made and bottled outdoors, on a windy day.

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Which Foods and Herbs Qualify as Maror?
There is some debate about exactly which foods qualify and different sects may have different customs and traditions. The Mishnah is the first major written work that describes Jewish traditions and it specifies five types of bitter herbs that may be eaten as maror. They include lettuce, chicory, horseradish, dandelion greens, and possibly clover. Other potential bitter options would include parsley, endive, green onion, and celery.

In the United States, the most common forms of maror on the Seder plate are likely to be horseradish, parsley, and bitter salad greens such as chicory and Romaine lettuce.
I wouldn't call lettuce, Romaine or otherwise, "bitter". Same goes for parsley, green onion or celery, but ok.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

The lunacy of religion is a great source of humour.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:00 am
Okay, *that's* hilarious.
Gob wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 am
The lunacy of religion is a great source of humour.
Religion without humor would be very dull indeed. But what to use for "bitter herbs" at the Passover Seder is more a matter of regional and family custom rather than religion. The Seder is modeled after the ancient Greek symposium, which included a banquet meal with study and discussion of various subjects. (The influences of both Hellenic and Babylonian/Persian culture run very strongly in Jewish practices generally, and in Passover traditions particularly.) Here, the evening's topic is our people's redemption from slavery in Egypt and its implications for how we live today. The foods and objects on the table (and especially on the central Seder plate) are simply starting points for exploring the meanings of the Exodus narrative that fundamentally defines us as a people and that informs our view of the world and our place in it. The foods are meant to be both symbolic and fun, because the primary question of the Seder/symposium -- and all of life in general -- is, "Why do we do this? Seems crazy, no?"

Oh, and speaking of crazy, remember that Jesus hates your pagan Easter ham! :lol:
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I know it's the wrong* 'slavery' but I always think of Verdi's 'Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves' at this time of year. I came across this one, done by musicians at home during Italy's first go-around with coronavirus a year ago. The Met has done one too.

*Wrong in the sense that Verdi's opera was about the Babylonian slavery and not the Egyptian, which Passover memorializes.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Spock sacrifice.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm
I know it's the wrong* 'slavery' but I always think of Verdi's 'Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves' at this time of year.
Ban this racist stuff!!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”