When feminists fall out...

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
ex-khobar Andy

Re: When feminists fall out...

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That's kind of BigRR's point, Jarl. Until Trump capped it, state and local income taxes and property taxes were deductible. I don't recall when sales taxes stopped being deductible (1990-ish??) but I do remember that for years I collected all my receipts and added up the state sales tax for an entry on the deduction form. A pain - especially in the days before we all had CompuCalc or VisiCalc. (Yes kids - there was life before Excel.)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I deduct state income taxes, why don't you? They are still deductible, subject to Trump's cap (i you don't like it, blame him like I do). Yes, state sales taxes are not deductible, but then they pale in comparison to income and property taxes, which are easy to keep track of; ditto for excise taxes. Car taxes? Not sure what you mean, but perhaps it's registration fees? Fees for services are not taxes (FWIW, neither are social security and medicate deductions).

So, yes, there are some taxes that are not deductible, but the vast majority of the taxes we pay are deductible from our taxable income, or at least were until Trump decided to extract his revenge on those who chose not to vote for him.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

A whole lot of folks don’t realize they can deduct those things because they don’t itemize deductions - and usually that’s because they are middle or lower income wage earners. There were only two years in my life that it made sense for me to itemize rather than take the standard deduction.

I think maybe that’s why Jarl isn’t thinking about those deductions.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Perhaps. Usually the time most people find itemizing deductions is beneficial is when they purchase a home as the mortgage interest is deductible, so I do think a good number of lower nd moderate income people itemize, but I am sure there are many who do not.

ETA: a quick check revealed that before Trump capped state and local tax deductions around a quarter of all filers itemized deductions; this dropped to around 17% after Trump's cap. Not a big surprise.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I don't itemize anymore since selling my house.

By car tax, I mean just that: property tax on cars. (Its the overriding reason I sold my Magnum.)

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

If you take the standard deduction, that probably does cover the things that you feel like you "can't deduct"...if you don't believe me, try adding up those items and then comparing that total to the amount of the standard deduction.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:59 pm
If you take the standard deduction, that probably does cover the things that you feel like you "can't deduct"...if you don't believe me, try adding up those items and then comparing that total to the amount of the standard deduction.
When I did itemize (until selling my house), there were many things I could not deduct. (Including car tax.)

Time to take a chainsaw to the budget.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I agree; starting with the bloated military budget and all out foreign ventures. But don't count on it.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I agree: close all overseas bases, bring all the troops home. Cut the military budget by at least a third and probably more. End all foreign aid. Keep slashing from there.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Of course, we will have to figure out what we will have to do with all the people we put out of work when we do that.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Pay them their military salary for a year as severance...still cheaper than the alternative.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's just the tip of the iceberg; a lot of US technical and manufacturing jobs are with military contractors. I think we have to cut back defense spending, but we have to do it slowly or we'll end up with the same situation we have with coal miners and a lot of disaffected voters. It won't be easy or cheap.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:50 am
Econoline wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:59 pm
When I did itemize (until selling my house), there were many things I could not deduct. (Including car tax.)

Time to take a chainsaw to the budget.
IIRC you live in NH, where there is no sales tax and most personal income is not subject to the state income tax.

P.S.
"I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization."
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., attributed
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I work in Massachusetts and pay their income tax. My house was in RI.

If you like paying taxes, you're welcome to pay mine!

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Sorry if I got your state wrong; I was assuming the "car tax" was a NH thing.

And no, I don't like civilization THAT much, at least not in its current state of decline (too bad you don't seem to like it at all [except for jails...and maybe roads?]). I don't mind paying my share; maybe you should try to persuade the estate of Oliver Wendell Holmes to help with with yours? ;)
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

No, car tax is a RI (and MA) thing.