The Pope vs the Nazis

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

The Pope vs the Nazis

Post by Gob »

The Pope has denounced an attempt by the European Union to excise the word “Christmas” from official documentation as a throwback to the dictatorships of Napoleon, Hitler and Stalin.

The 32-page manual for language used by EU institutions, called “Union of Equality”, recommended the use of “holiday period” instead of “Christmas period” to avoid offending non-Christians who live in the bloc.

It was withdrawn for revision by Helena Dalli, the EU Commissioner for Equality, after several member states objected to its contents.

Pope Francis, speaking to reporters on the plane back from Greece, described the document as an “anachronism”.

“This is what many dictatorships have tried to do in history,” said the Holy Father. “Think of Napoleon, think of the Nazi and communist dictatorship, it is a way of diluted secularism, distilled water.

“This is one thing that didn’t work out throughout history,” he said. “The European Union must take in hand the ideals of the founding fathers, which were ideals of unity, of greatness. Be attentive not to make way for ideological colonisation.

“This could divide countries and [make] the European Union fall. The European Union must respect each country as it is structured inside, the variety of countries, and not want to standardise.”

He added: “Be careful not to be a vehicle for ideological colonisation. This is why that thing about Christmas is an anachronism.”

Earlier, during the five-day trip to Cyprus and Greece, Pope Francis used a speech in Athens to lament the bloc’s “retreat from democracy”.

He explained to reporters on the plane that the vision of the founders of the EU was threatened by “populism” from both the right and the left of the political spectrum.

He also criticised a tendency to excessive federalism, arguing that countries will lose freedom if they attempted to impose equality upon all citizens.

“This happens when there is a superpower that dictates economic, cultural and social behaviour to the other countries,” Francis said.

Previously, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State, strongly denounced any attempt to cancel “our roots, the Christian dimension of our Europe, especially with regard to Christian festivals”.

“We know that Europe owes its existence and its identity to many influences, but we certainly cannot forget that one of the main influences, if not the main one, was Christianity itself,” the cardinal said.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/eu-bid-to- ... urnalists/
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Re: The Pope vs the Nazis

Post by Sue U »

Francis's comments are rarher ironic, considering the way Christianity (and Catholicism in particular) was imposed on the peoples of Europe.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yeah but they still remember the pagan gods in the names of days of the week, not to mention several months. And that yule log thing. . . the tree . . . the mistletoe . . . the holly and the ivy . . . the oester egg . . .

Really - Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin? He should relax a bit. This is what comes of not believing the book - there's nothing anyone can do to "lose" anyone else from God's plan. It's a straight up or down vote and only one voter. And He already cast the ballots.

I don't care a hoot if the EU mentions Christmas or not. Mind, it is galling that the reason given is to avoid offending woke wankers who choose to fake offense. But comme ci, comme ça.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

to avoid offending non-Christians who live in the bloc.
These are all (or predominantly) "woke wankers"? I honestly don't understand the offense that some take, but I guess it exists and I see nothing wrong with removing "Christmas holiday" from official documents; it's not like the thought police are prohibiting the use of the word Christmas by those who choose to use it. Indeed, given its importance in the west to the health of retail establishments, I don't ever see that law even being considered.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

This
He also criticised a tendency to excessive federalism, arguing that countries will lose freedom if they attempted to impose equality upon all citizens.
, honestly infuriates me.

It's a bit Orwellian--equality equal less freedom. So we should support countries that discriminate against or ostracize and/or disenfranchise some part of the citizenry (presumably the non-Christian part)? Dividing the citizens into groups is in the playbook of pretty much every despot, and here he is endorsing it saying it makes people freer.

I used to like a lot of what this pope said, but now it seems like he would endorse any discrimination against non Christians because of the influence of Christianity on European existence and identity. I can't believe it. Somehow, I sincerely doubt Jesus would endorse that view.