Religion is a drag

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Gob

Religion is a drag

Post by Gob »

A newly-ordained pastor from Chicago is dressing up in drag in order to lead church services with children.

Aaron Musser, who was ordained this summer, can be seen addressing children from a pulpit in his church dressed in a blonde wig, white dress, and makeup before spreading the word of the Lord to children at his parish at St. Luke's Lutheran Church of Logan Square.

The event took place last Sunday, and saw Musser read a religious book about Joy to a group of children.

'I have an awesome story to share with you today,' Musser could be heard telling the story as he tossed his hair either side reports The Post Millennial.
'I am also a boy most of the time when I'm here, but today, I'm a girl,' he explained.

Musser wrote in an announcement on Facebook: 'The sixth Sunday of advent is rejoice Sunday. It's a chance for us to rehearse what a life of joy could look like. It's a dress rehearsal. Preaching in drag is a theological reflection on joy: Joy overflows so abundantly, it can't help but make itself known. Weaving together the day's theme, queer theory, and lectionary texts, we will 'dress rehearse' for joy.'

The announcement noted that 'Seminarian Aaron' would be 'preaching in drag!' adding that the church wanted everyone 'to wear garments/accessories that make you feel 100%, like the best version of yourself.'

Musser writes openly about incorporating 'Queerness' into his teachings stating 'that Queerness is beautiful and a right', in one of his Facebook postings.

'Queer sexualities, gender identities, and gender expressions outpour from the depths of our being. We are who we are. And we can articulate our truth,' he wrote on his personal Facebook page.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Re: Religion is a drag

Post by Big RR »

I have no problem with it, but I do question when advent got "6" Sundays; it has always been 4 as long as I recall (lent is 6 weeks, but then that is something very different). But if he wants to use this to address joy and what can make us joyful, more power to him.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

6 Sundays eh?
ordained this summer
and ordure just before Christmas - nice
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Ordure Meade? To you or to the Lutheran authorities? FWIW, I don't even know whether the church is Missouri Synod (although I doubt it) or one of the evangelical lutheran denominations (and, if so, which one). They all would likely have different standards of what consitutes "ordure", if they even recognize the term or its connotation.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

res ipsa loquitur

Not the legal term - just the plain Latin
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Well, isn't Christmas the time when the fruitcakes comes out?

I also can't help but think of Christ's call to the people, "Suffer the little children to come to me." (Matt 19:14)  The way he/she/it is standing there in the third picture looks more like, "Why don't you come up and see me sometime?"   Either that or, "Who wore it better?"
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BB--beofre I'd reach your conclusion, I'd have to see an tape of the lesson.

Meade, I don't think it speaks for itself, but apparently it speaks to you. Big difference IMHO, but so be it (or should I say, Amen?). :D

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

In the common lectionary, which is used in many English-speaking religious denominations (both protestant and Roman Catholic) Advent is the the beginning of the Church calendar year. Advent is the four Sundays before Christmas. There is a theme for each, and the Third is usually Joy. The fourth, this week, is Peace.

Festivus has its own attractions.

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My pastor friend Keith has a drag alter ego, Pastor Penny Costal, who makes an appearance particularly on those occasions when the congregation needs to hear some hard truths. He has learned that it somehow makes them more receptive.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Needs to invest in a better quality wig.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:30 pm
BB--beofre I'd reach your conclusion, I'd have to see an tape of the lesson.

Meade, I don't think it speaks for itself, but apparently it speaks to you. Big difference IMHO, but so be it (or should I say, Amen?). :D
It depends on what the definition of "it" is. In my book, "it" certainly was speaking for itself.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

One of my favorite shows recently is a drag show called We’re Here on HBO, wherein three drag queens travel to small towns around America and put on a drag show integrating performances by some locals with some connection to the queer community. It’s like a Queer Eye type vibe and very life affirming, I highly recommend the show. One of their recent episodes included a cisgender man and Methodist minister from a congregation in Evansville, Ill who participated in the show and was subsequently relieved of his pastoral duties by his congregation. Just goes to show how different the experience of Christian brotherhood can be depending on what denomination you land in, and how conservative the community is.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Deleted

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I did enjoy Priscilla Queen of the Desert at the movies. Probably should watch it again. NSFC though.

Oh and Big RR:

deleted :lol:

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:51 pm
It’s like a Queer Eye type vibe and very life affirming,
Do you not know you're alive unless you've watched it? :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:35 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:51 pm
It’s like a Queer Eye type vibe and very life affirming,
Do you not know you're alive unless you've watched it? :lol:
life-affirming adjective

Definition of life-affirming
: indicating that life has value : positive and optimistic
Even though the heroine dies at the end, her struggle for a better world gives the movie a life-affirming message.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

And you need a drag show to tell you that?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I can't speak for BSG, but I do find that, sometimes, a movie will come that will remind me of the value and beauty of life; it needn't be something about drag shows (although I did get that from an older drag show movie called Outrageous years ago), but movies (and plays and books and music and other arts) can often help stir feelings that are sometimes buried deep within.

As for the OP, it appears this minister is trying to make a point on the joy in being oneself, and encouraging others to embrace their inner joy. In a time when religion seems to be used to divide us in many cases, this message of joy (and perhaps tolerance) is something I think most religions should try to instill. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus (even if it is not his actual birth date), and the best thing we can do is to feel the joy and try to live by the teachings that he gave us--love, tolerance, charity, and embracing all the joys that this world presents us; that lesson is certainly worth taking chances to inspire people.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob is being deliberately obtuse because poking at me, denigrating me, attacking me is one of his favorite pastimes. Or he is just an idiot and doesn’t grasp the definition of life affirming or why it is so frequently used as an adjective to describe art of various types.
~ Carl Sagan