Religion is a drag

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Religion is a drag

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

embracing all the joys that this world presents us
Where'd you get that, Big RR?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I see it inherent in many of the teachings of Jesus, but one need only look at his first recorded miracle, changing water into wine at a wedding, to see how he embraced a gift of the world to enhance joy and celebration. Or take the sermon on the mount where he says to stop worrying, noting god provides, and the "clothing" of the flowers exceeds anything Solomon wore.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:14 pm
I see it inherent in many of the teachings of Jesus, but one need only look at his first recorded miracle, changing water into wine at a wedding, to see how he embraced a gift of the world to enhance joy and celebration. Or take the sermon on the mount where he says to stop worrying, noting god provides, and the "clothing" of the flowers exceeds anything Solomon wore.
Thank you. By "embracing all the joys that this world presents us", are you suggesting that anything and everything that gives occasion for joy to someone is endorsed by Jesus? With particular emphasis on "this world" . . .

I don't see that enjoying a glass of wine equates to approving of anything other than a glass of wine. And I see no connection between the oft-misunderstood ("don't worry - be happy") saying and embracing ALL worldly things.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I just find the term vacuous and vapid.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

By "embracing all the joys that this world presents us", are you suggesting that anything and everything that gives occasion for joy to someone is endorsed by Jesus? With particular emphasis on "this world" . . .
No, what I am saying is god has presented humans with a wonderful world which should be enjoyed, from a glass of wine to a brilliant sunrise/sunset to many other equally wonderful things. And we should embrace them with joy; not that we should neglect our responsibilities and what goes along with them, but that we should take time to smell the roses. I don't have exact chapter and verse, but I do think Jesus' teachings embrace this philosophy as well. IMHO, there is a big difference between hedonism and joy.

There is a movement among some christian denominations to eschew joy as somehow sinful, and to sacrifice now for the reward late, but I do not believe that is what Jesus taught. He taught us to embrace and rejoice in what we have received, and to be good stewards of the bounty we have.

Gob--which term?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My friend Keith as Pastor Penny Costal (posted with permission):
FB_IMG_1640474949277.jpg
FB_IMG_1640474949277.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 655 times
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, now we know what's sadder than 'pathetic' :lol:

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Interestingly, I was watching a program on the 'Dark Ages' last night, and the presenter Waldemar Januszczak was making the point that for most of the early years of christendom, Christ was most usually depicted as on the feminine side - curly hair, rounded curves, even slightly pudgy in some pictures, no beard, modeled on Apollo who was the youngest of the Roman gods. It wasn't until later christians wanted some manliness that the more muscular bearded UFC-type appeared.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Interestingly, I was watching a program on the 'Dark Ages' last night, and the presenter Waldemar Januszczak was making the point that for most of the early years of christendom, Christ was most usually depicted as on the feminine side - curly hair, rounded curves, even slightly pudgy in some pictures, no beard, modeled on Apollo who was the youngest of the Roman gods. It wasn't until later christians wanted some manliness that the more muscular bearded UFC-type appeared.
And the evidence is . . .? Bloody Greeks! :lol:

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Kind of like what happened to Aquaman.