Children are safer in drag queen story hours than in church

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Children are safer in drag queen story hours than in church

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What a lot of stuff! Great! People are free to believe as they wish. I believe Christ and the scriptures. Which doesn't mean I know all answers. [And of course I subscribe to the idea that God can do as He wishes except where it is contrary to His entire character and being - so, lying is out and so on]
Remember the parable about the landowner and those hired for the harvest--if it teaches anything, it teaches that god can accept anyone god chooses to accept--fundamentally, it's god's business, not ours.
. I think that's not quite right. The point is that God offers the same salvation to all who accept it, no matter when. Those who accepted the offer and showed up early get the same promised reward as those who accepted and showed up late in the day. But they had to show up to accept. If they stayed in the market place relying on how wonderful they are, there's no reward at all.

I do believe that a person can accept Christ up to the moment of earthly death. After that, too late. It's what the Bible says. (See the Rich man and Lazarus)(not the alive/dead/alive again Lazarus).

"Heresy" was a creation of the early church (4th-6th century) as it struggled to define what the commonly held and acceptable beliefs and teachings were. I have some sympathy for the Adoptionist idea and Arianism; Athanasius isn't quite as convincing in argument. Of course, the biggest heresy was the protestant Reformation, which despite its fissiparous nature argues a lot but doesn't insist on "heresy" as such. (Though in some strange people you'd almost think it did - an insistence on a 6-day creation often accompanies horror when another Christian accepts evolution - the gradual development part, not the rest).

The Reformed churches do reject universal salvation (one of the heresies from the old days) since that is contrary to scripture and all that Jesus stuff. Christianity teaches that no one is "good enough" but that God loves all unconditionally and offers salvation to all. However, salvation is conditional upon believing that God saves us through Christ. Relying on sufficient good works is useless. There's a free choice*. Those who reject Jesus are not "Christians" but something else. A sect perhaps. Like Mormons or something.

I believe in Evil, though the voice of Satan sounds remarkably like my own. I don't believe the devil can make anyone do anything - it's listening to temptation and giving in to it. And that seems to be the point. My choice again. Satan doesn't bother with non-believers - they are his already. I haven't scoured every corner of the earth sufficiently to say that there are no demons. Other than R. Dawkins (just a joke - relax)

But of course, one can reject all the bits one doesn't like and make up other stuff that's more acceptable, and still call oneself a Christian or any other name. Its a free world; there's not a law (nor should there be). Mind you, it seems logical that "I'm good enough for any god" is more arrogant than believing that I'm not good enough and I need help (Jesus).

Believing in "the universe" is er . . .well, I'm not sure what it means. I think we all believe we are in the universe, no?

*barring some Calvinists of course :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ll say one thing for you Meade, you are a strong believer in your fairy tales. Good on ya, I guess!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks Meade, you have given a thoughtful response to the points I raised and where we differ. However, I eill point out that the parables can be interpreted many different ways; the one we are discussing has been interpreted by some prosperity gospel adherents that it is a justification by god of the capitalist landowner paying people whatever (s)he chooses--fairness is not an issue; indeed, I actually heard one preacher on TV saying that years ago, when I was young--he used it to show how god celebrated the capitalist and hated the communists. I don't agree, but it does fit within what the parable says. It reminds me of a line fro A Fish Called Wands--when Kevin Kline says he's not an ape because "Apes don't read philosophy", Jamie Lee Curtiss replies "Of course they do, they just don't understand it".

And in a way that's how I see the bible, which was written centuries, sometimes millennia, ago for people who had knowledge and understanding quite different from our own. And the amazing thing, IMHO, is it can be interpreted and applied to our current understanding and concerns. t is up to each of us to interpret as we are led to, even if this sometimes contradicts the more common orthodoxy. I have nor concerns about doing so--indeed, I think it is what god expects. If you and I reach different conclusions, that's fine; I am sure one day they will be recognized when we "pass to the next plane" and know more.

Again, thanks for your response.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Cheers, Big RR. Always enjoy your thoughtful contributions. But you know I must take a little exception to this:
. . . the parables can be interpreted many different ways; the one we are discussing has been interpreted by some prosperity gospel adherents that it is a justification by god of the capitalist landowner paying people whatever (s)he chooses--fairness is not an issue; indeed, I actually heard one preacher on TV saying that years ago, when I was young--he used it to show how god celebrated the capitalist and hated the communists. I don't agree, but it does fit within what the parable says.
For me, that's way too close to giving aid and comfort to the enemy :lol: The two examples that you offer here are, in fact, exactly what happens when neither interpretation nor context nor Biblical comprehension are involved. The totality of Christ's teachings and life do not allow that parable to be understood and applied as encouraging the rich to cheat or that God hates one socio-political class and hates another.

The parable means this and nothing else. "For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard . . . So the last will be first, and the first will be last". It is entirely about the one promise, the same reward for all - those who believe early receive the promised reward. And God gives the same reward to those who come late. Neither is cheated. And the early birds have no ground for complaint. [We could go deeper and validly interpret that Jesus had especially in mind God's chosen people and their assumption that because God chose them first, they are the only ones entitled to the full reward - but really it's the same point all along, just more specific]

Now - can I take that parable and use the figurative nature of it to say something else? Of course. One can use any passage of any book and use it teach a useful lesson. And I might (I think I will) use it to speak of the ones who don't volunteer to take up the offer of work and stay in the marketplace waiting for something easier to show up, or are just too lazy to go. Or who've heard of this guy who pays everyone the same and want to wait until it's too late to join in. That's not interpretation either. That's putting the passage to a different use. I can even teach something along the lines of what you wrote - that it's up to God to choose who He accepts - although that's not interpretation and is a side-issue since the landowner doesn't choose them - they self-select.

I am sure that despite different understandings within Christianity, the one essential is to believe that we are sinners, separated from God and can only be reconciled by faith in Jesus as the one and only path to salvation. Anything that involves deviation from that is disastrous. There are always plenty hanging around the marketplace confident of jam tomorrow.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Funny thing, Gen'l, You say you accept the scriptures, with no reservation. You also say: "Those who reject Jesus are not "Christians" but something else. A sect perhaps. Like Mormons or something." Those theologians connected with the 'sect' headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, can find specific citations in the Holy Bible (KJV) to support every one of their positions to which you object.

Apologetics is a scholarly discipline within theology that has little attraction for me.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:32 pm
Funny thing, Gen'l, You say you accept the scriptures, with no reservation. You also say: "Those who reject Jesus are not "Christians" but something else. A sect perhaps. Like Mormons or something." Those theologians connected with the 'sect' headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, can find specific citations in the Holy Bible (KJV) to support every one of their positions to which you object. Apologetics is a scholarly discipline within theology that has little attraction for me.
snailgate.
In reverse order

Clearly.

And no they can't. They turn to the Book of Mormon, which contradicts the Bible, for their theology and pick bits from the Bible that suit their purposes. Lovely people. Went with some Mormon friends to see their kids baptized, times ago. Always welcome at my door for a good chat as we try to convert each other.

I was not suggesting Mormons don't believe in Jesus. I was helping to define what I mean by "sect". It's obvious that the Jerusalem gathering of the Way (Jewish Christ-followers) were a sect of Judaism and would have been reabsorbed into the Temple if not for the spread of the gospel to gentiles.

Did I write that I accept the scriptures "with no reservation"? I may have done so but don't recall such a thing.

Still wondering if you've some details on all those contradictions you mentioned

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'll tell you, the parable that I could never wrap my noggin around ... still have a hard time with it, for that matter ... was the Parable of the Unjust Steward from the Gospel of Luke.
1) He also said to the disciples, “There was a rich man who had a steward, and charges were brought to him that this man was wasting his goods.
2) And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear about you?  Turn in the account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’
3) And the steward said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the stewardship away from me?  I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg.
4) I have decided what to do, so that people may receive me into their houses when I am put out of the stewardship.’
5) So, summoning his master’s debtors one by one, he said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’
6) He said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’  And he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’
7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’  He said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’  He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’
8) The master commended the dishonest steward for his shrewdness; for the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light
9) And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous mammon, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal habitations.
10) He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and he who is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much.
11) If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will entrust to you the true riches?
12) And if you have not been faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own?
13) No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”
(Luke 16: 1-13; Revised Standard Version)
The only thing I ever took away from that was that the whole goddamned bunch of them — the steward, the debtors, even the master himself — were all as crooked as a dog's hind leg, and that money brings out the worst in people.  And in sixty-odd years on this planet, I haven't seen too much to dissuade me of that opinion.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I am sure that despite different understandings within Christianity, the one essential is to believe that we are sinners, separated from God and can only be reconciled by faith in Jesus as the one and only path to salvation.
Let me ask you, what if that is not true? What if the "path to salvation" you describe is not the only one, just the only one you know in this world--that in the next plane of existent there is an alternative way t oneness with the lord? Would it bother you? Would you fell you were cheated? Would you rather those nonbelievers be eternally punished for their "lack of faith"? Or would you celebrate the love and mercy of god?

I hope it would be the latter. Now what if their are other paths to the same that others in the world are following? And what if those who follow the other paths are eventually at one with god. Wouldn't you celebrate that as well? Or is living as a christian so onerous that you believe you are entitled to some sort of reward for all the "sacrifices" you made?

I don't see how the belief in universal salvation, by whatever means god chooses, somehow demeans your beliefs. After all, there are many mansions in god's abode, and I am not one to put limits on the love of god or god's power to forgive. You can choose not to believe that this is the case, but if it eventually turns out that it is, you have lost nothing, living your life in accordance with your beliefs.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BB--tha parable is a difficult one for me to understand as well. The best interpretation i have heard is that we, as stewards of god's creation, are not doing wrong by sharing those benefits with "others" (i.e. persons not of our faith community) even if it benefits them personally. Remember,stewards are different from servants in that we have a responsibility to manage the resources we are stewards of, and the "master" was pleased (likely in getting paid 50% rather than nothing, or maybe in the improved relationships with his debtors. That the steward also benefited was not wrong, and the resources were not used improperly because he benefited. It's still a bit difficult to square in line with other teachings of god providing wahat we need, but I think it stresses that believers should not lock themselves away from the rest of the world but engage with them on their own terms.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:13 pm
I am sure that despite different understandings within Christianity, the one essential is to believe that we are sinners, separated from God and can only be reconciled by faith in Jesus as the one and only path to salvation.
Let me ask you, what if that is not true?
Since it is true, the occasion does not arise. Feel free to ponder whether Christ manifests himself to others in other ways than he does to Christians. It's still him as the only path to salvation. God said it; it's true; I believe it. SDG

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Re that parable, it's a tough one. Big RR's on the right track IMO. Using the ERV (was yours from the NKJV, Bill?)

Jesus does not praise the moral conduct of the steward/manager - he refers to him as "dishonest". But even the venal can act shrewdly in their own situation by helping others and thereby securing future benefit for themselves.
8 “Later, the master told the dishonest manager that he had done a smart thing. Yes, worldly people are smarter in their business with each other than spiritual people are. 9 “I tell you, use the worldly things you have now to make ‘friends’ for later. Then, when those things are gone, you will be welcomed into a home that lasts forever.
Many who consider themselves righteous are less wise when it comes to distribution of their worldly goods. It's a correlative of Matthew 6: 19-21. They are not helping either themselves or others and thereby are not "building treasure in heaven".

Note that he was speaking both to his disciples and to
14 The Pharisees [who] were listening to all these things. They criticized Jesus because they all loved money. 15 Jesus said to them, “You make yourselves look good in front of people. But God knows what is really in your hearts. What people think is important is worth nothing to God.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm
Re that parable, it's a tough one. Big RR's on the right track IMO. Using the ERV (was yours from the NKJV, Bill?)
I was quoting the Revised Standard Version, and it was so noted beneath the quote.  There's so many variations that have come out since Vatican II trying to 'modernize' the language — remember when all the kids were walking around with a copy of "The Way", a version of the Bible specifically catering to teens and young adults, in the 1970s? — I'm not sure WHICH version is considered the "official" Catholic Bible anymore.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:02 pm
I was quoting the Revised Standard Version, and it was so noted beneath the quote.  
:ok Sorry - old eyes and not wearing glasses! :lol:

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:02 pm
I'm not sure WHICH version is considered the "official" Catholic Bible anymore.
In the U.S., only the New American Bible is approved for use in the Roman Missal. Other versions are approved for private study.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thank you Scooter. That explains my recent RC sources quoting the NRSVue. (which I think was released to the public August of this year)

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Charlotte church leader, former soccer coach charged with child sex crimes, police say

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A youth leader and soccer coach at several Charlotte-area organizations was charged with multiple child sex crimes on Friday, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Police charged 36-year-old Benjamin Damron with nine counts of indecent liberties with a child and one count of sexual battery. Officers said Damron used his position to take advantage of the victims and sexually assault them.

Three total victims have been identified, all teenage boys, according to police. WCNC Charlotte is sharing Damron's arrest photo in the event there are potentially other victims who have not yet come forward.

Investigators said that Damron met all three victims through church and assaulted them at public parks or inside his house. CMPD Lt. James Ivie said the abuse happened for as long as five years.

Damron has been a youth leader or coach in at least four local organizations, according to CMPD. Authorities identified those organizations as Elevation Church, Mercy Church, Southbrook Church and Soccer Shots. While police said all of those organizations were notified and are cooperating with the investigation, Spence Shelton, the lead pastor at Mercy Church, told WCNC Charlotte they are unfamiliar with Damron.

Shelton told WCNC Charlotte's Julia Kauffman Friday they learned of the investigation on the evening news. He said neither he nor his leadership team have spoken with authorities. He said to the best of their knowledge, Damron has never served in a leadership role at their church.

"We have no record of this individual engaged in any ministry in our church," Shelton said.

Shelton said they are still taking this arrest very seriously and will send a message out to their congregation in hopes that any and all potential victims come forward.

Southbrook Church informed WCNC Charlotte that Damron occasionally attended its services over the years, however he "never served as a volunteer in any capacity at Southbrook Church, including that of "youth leader."

A spokesperson for Southbrook added that they are in contact with authorities and will help the investigation in any way they can.

The co-owner of Soccer Shots, Jeremy Sorzano, identified Damron as a former, part-time coach.

"We are not aware of any allegations of inappropriate conduct or behavior impacting any current or former Soccer Shots participants," Sorzano said late Friday. "The safety of all our Soccer Shots participants is paramount and therefore, all coaches are required to complete background checks and clearances in accordance with North Carolina laws."

Sorzano said, at the time, the background check for Damron "raised no adverse findings."

"We are extremely saddened for the children and families affected," he added.

"Our children are so vulnerable and we have to trust our kids are safe," Ivie said earlier Friday. "We have to be able to have conversations about what's appropriate and not appropriate."

The investigation spans multiple law enforcement jurisdictions outside of Charlotte, including Matthews and Union County. CMPD detectives have been in contact with detectives from both Matthews Police Department and the Union County Sheriff's Office.

Anyone with information about this case or the suspect, is asked to contact CMPD. You can contact the lead detective in this case, Detective Brennan, at 704-353-1940 or call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or http://charlottecrimestoppers.com/.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Former church pastor arrested, accused of soliciting minors online

The Tomball Police Department arrested a former student pastor on Tuesday who allegedly sent explicit photos to a teenage girl and solicited her for sex.

Timothy Jeltema, 28, a former children's pastor at Champion Forest Baptist Church, was charged with online solicitation of a minor.

Det. Jason Smith said the church officials notified the police after Jeltema had been terminated from his position.

“When they notified the church members that he was terminated, (it) led to other people he had been contact with to come forward. When they came forward to the church, the church immediately notified law enforcement along with the victim,” said detective Jason Smith.

According to a statement from the Champion Forest Baptist Church, Jeltema was terminated from his position on May 15 after being accused and admitting to having "improper contact via social media" with an 18-year-old church member.

Church regulations forbid pastors from having "one-on-one" electronic communications with students, which was the reason for his dismissal.

Church officials were not immediately aware of any other incidents after his dismissal.

"Tuesday's arrest, however, stems from allegations that surfaced one month after his termination from Champion Forest Baptist Church—and that we immediately reported to law enforcement — in which a female teenage minor made claims against Jeltema of online sexual misconduct," according to a statement from the church.

According to court documents, the minor who made the complaint was under 17 years old when he solicited a sexual encounter with her through social media.

Jeltema may have contacted up to 25 girls between the ages of 14 to 17 by sending them explicit photos of himself and requesting nude photos from them through Snapchat and Instagram, Smith said.

Jeltema may have begun contacting victims starting in 2016, Smith said.

After his arrest, Jeltema’s bond was set at $10,000.

The Tomball Police Department is asking the public for information about this case by contacting Smith at jsmith@tomballtx.gov or by calling 281-290-1315.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

OR Pastor Sentenced To 27 Years For Child Rape

The Salem Statesman-Journal reports:
A former Keizer pastor has been sentenced to 27 years in prison for sexual abuse of one of his church members while she was underage.

Bradley Putnam, 55, also will have 41 months of post-prison supervision and has to register as a sex offender. After his prison sentence, he will spend 364 days in the Marion County Jail for a separate invasion of privacy conviction.

On Nov. 9, a jury found Putnam guilty of eight counts of sexual abuse, one count of invasion of person privacy and three counts of using a child in display of sexually explicit conduct. Putnam ran a church named Freedom Fellowship.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Megachurch asks congregants to forgive pastor for prostitution arrest because ‘all have sinned’

The leadership team of Rock Church International cited Romans 3:23 Wednesday as they urged congregants to extend forgiveness to the Rev. John Blanchard in an announcement that he has “voluntarily stepped back as lead pastor and from all his ministerial duties” for the second time in just over a year following his arrest for solicitation of prostitution last fall.

“Under the guidance of our legal counsel, we cannot make a statement or comment concerning the accusations against Rev. John Blanchard at this time. We are all committed to walking in integrity and truth at Rock Church International and will continue to take steps to do so. Pastor Blanchard has voluntarily stepped back as lead pastor and from all his ministerial duties until this present situation is totally resolved,” the Apostolic church, which has a weekly attendance of more than 2,000,wrote in a statement published on its website.

“As followers of Christ, we must remember that redemption, salvation, grace, mercy, and healing are all gifts given to the children of God. Although everyone must address their own convictions and consequences, our assignment as believers is not to condemn, but to be agents of God’s love, healing, justice, and reconciliation,” they added. “(Romans 3:23 — ‘for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God’). If we are to walk in eternity with Christ, our position must be one of truth, love, faith, mercy, justice, and forgiveness.”

Blanchard, 52, was among 17 men accused of solicitation of prostitution after an online sting operation by police on Oct. 29, 2021. The married father of two was charged with solicitation of prostitution of a minor and use of a vehicle to promote prostitution, both felonies. He was arrested at a hotel where he was supposed to meet a detective posing as a 17-year-old girl. He insisted that he wasn’t sure what would have happened had his plan materialized and he had intended to just talk.

Details of Blanchard’s arrest shared in documents online by attorney Tim Anderson show that he was texting with the detective posing as the 17-year-old girl prior to his arrest.

Police say Blanchard initiated the chat by responding to an advertisement presented as a 19-year-old girl on a website that “obtained pornographic images.”

“He asked if she was available in Richmond and I said I was. He asked where I was located and I stated near Chesterfield mall. He said he would GPS and that he was 23 minutes away and that he was picking up his car and would come about 2:30,” the investigator stated. “I asked what he wanted so I would know how much to tell him to bring. He said ‘hhr’ which represents a half hour and I quoted him $80. He asked if I was affiliated with law enforcement and I said I was not, and asked the same of him.”

In subsequent texts, the investigator asked the pastor what he wanted “so I would know he was bringing the money.”

“He responded ‘qv’ which in the sex for sale world represents a ‘quick visit,’” the officer explained.

Nearly half an hour later, the officer told Blanchard the price for what he wanted would be $70. When the officer asked him his age he claimed he was 40.

“At 1449 hours I told the unsub that I am 17 and if that’s not cool I would get it. He then stated he was close to the mall and asked where to go. I asked if he was ready for this ‘young tight kitty’ and he asked where I was. I asked if he had my cash and he said that he would ‘answer all questions when we meet up,’” the police report said.

Blanchard was later arrested at the hotel where he had planned his encounter. He was also forced to step away from leadership as a result of the arrest at the time.

After almost a year of legal maneuvering, the charges against Blanchard were withdrawn, or nolle prosequi, ahead of a criminal trial in October. Nolle prosequi means prosecutors could potentially bring those charges again.

In an Oct. 11 statement on Facebook, Rock Church officials announced that Blanchard was cleared of all charges by prosecutors from the Chesterfield County Courthouse.

“The prosecutor in a statement to the Court indicated that due to new information coming to light and lack of evidence, they will no longer be pursuing charges against Blanchard. This exoneration comes after nearly 11 months of delays and continuances. The defense attorney stated Tuesday that he was pleased with the outcome,” the church said.

“Pastor Blanchard has continually professed his complete innocence in this case. During this time, he stepped back from his pastoral duties at the Rock Church Int’l in Virginia Beach, Virginia, handing over the oversight of the congregation to Bishop Anne Gimenez and his wife, Pastor Robin Blanchard.”

Bishop Anne Gimenez, who is currently leading the church along with Blanchard’s wife, stated that the church always had faith in Blanchard’s innocence and that he would be reinstated.

“We have always believed in John’s innocence. His humility and submission to those over him during this time has been a testimony to his character. He has spent the time in fasting and prayer and has invested much of his time in his family and education. We anticipate his resumption of church duties in the near future,” she said.

The recent revelations of the court documents on the case by Anderson, however, appeared to have upended Blanchard’s return.

“After multiple court appearances I was advised that Blanchard and his attorney were working toward a resolution in this case that started with Blanchard attending counseling for sex offenders. ACA Michev advised me at one point that when Blanchard came to one hearing with evidence of attending said counseling, that Michev rejected it due to the counseling being done by another megachurch pastor, not at a location approved by the CA'S,” an officer report said.

“At Blanchard's latest court appearance, which I was excused from, the case was nolle prossed. This decision was authorized by CA Davenport due to lack of evidence.”

Anderson has continued questioning Chesterfield County Commonwealth's attorney Stacey Davenport’s decision to drop the case against Blanchard and in a statement to 13News Now, she explained that how the case against Blanchard was concluded doesn’t mean he isn’t guilty.

“The conclusion of a case by order of nolle prosequi does not have the same legal effect as a not guilty finding. I am unable to comment on the appropriateness of public statements made by other entities regarding this, or any other, case in which my office is involved,” she said.

“The cases from the Chesterfield Police Department’s October 2021 sting operation, which include this particular case, involved a Chesterfield detective posing as a 17-year-old online. The interaction between the detective and the defendant in each case was different. As a result, the evidence available for use in the prosecution of each case was different, and the outcome of each case was different. Some of the cases had sufficient evidence to support felony convictions, and some did not,” she added.

“As ministers of justice, prosecutors are required to individually evaluate the strength of the evidence provided by the police in each case. The legal standard required for an officer to obtain a warrant for arrest is merely probable cause. A prosecutor must have evidence that proves guilt beyond a reasonable doubt to support a conviction in a court of law and ethically cannot proceed with charges in a case where the evidence does not meet that standard.”

In their statement Wednesday, Rock Church noted that all of their members, especially their leaders, are held to a high standard of accountability and they were committed to honesty and integrity in the investigation of sexual misconduct.

“Rock Church encourages godly lifestyles by all of its members and leaders, in keeping with the tenets of the Bible. The Church condemns sexual immorality of any kind and in any form by its members and leaders and especially holds its leaders to a high standard of accountability on any lifestyle choices that could reflect negatively on the reputation of the Church or disparage the character of the Savior whom it purports to represent,” the church said.

“Rock Church is committed to honesty and integrity in dealing with charges or accusations of sexual misconduct or immorality among its leaders and will support any investigation arising from accusations of violation of this standard among its staff and leaders in an effort to find the truth and to protect its members, church families and their children, at all times.”

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

KS Priest & NY Businessman Indicted in Scheme to Defraud Foster Care Program

TOPEKA, KAN. – A federal grand jury in Topeka returned an indictment charging a Kansas priest and a New York businessman in connection with a scheme to defraud a foster care organization of $10 million.

According to court documents, Robert Nelson Smith, 50, of Salina is charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, 15 counts of wire fraud, and one count of money laundering.

William Byrd Whymark, 50, of Mount Kisco, New York, is charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, 10 counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering.

Saint Francis Ministries (SFM) is a 501c(3) faith-based organization in Salina, Kansas, that provides foster care and social services in the states of Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas. (sounds like a lot of children being put in danger by a lack of the funds that have been embezzled by this priest) In 2018, the SFM board agreed to upgrade its IT systems, hardware, and software programs. As the SFM Chief Executive Officer, Robert Smith, an ordained Episcopal priest, entered into an agreement on behalf of SFM with a company owned by William Whymark. Smith is accused of approving and authorizing payments of fraudulent, overinflated invoices submitted by Whymark.

Smith is also accused of using SFM credit cards for personal, unauthorized expenditures.

Robert Smith is scheduled for his initial court appearance today at 1:30 p.m. before a U.S. Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is investigating the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christine Kenney and Skipper Jacobs are prosecuting the case.

An indictment is merely an allegation and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

-- Author unknown