You want fries with that?

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Burning Petard

You want fries with that?

Post by Burning Petard »

Mickey Dees could soon be selling Kosher Cheeseburgers in Jerusalem.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -religion/

Wow! The problems the literalists have with modern commerce.

And on another note, farewell Rabbi Mark Golub, founder of the Jewish Broadcasting Service. Out of boredom during Covid I started clicking through every channel on my cable service, starting with number one and going up to 1849 classical music. I stumbled onto 798, JBS. The 700 group on my cable services mostly nut-ball christian (my definition, your's may vary) but here at 798 was JBS. Beautiful singing in a language I could not understand. At one point an a Friday night the men were singing a welcome to the female spirit of Sabbath into the room (there were English sub-titles on the bottom of the screen) and I actually expected the camera to shift to the doors in the back of the room and see a female figure come in. Movies from Israel, music from small, very Jewish, clubs--some clearly for older people seeking nostalgia, some with young people fully modern and sounding like a high-school garage bands. But what kept me coming back were the many interviews, some live, some recorded, with Rabbi Golub talking to one other person. It was always interesting and I always learned something. I even became driven to discover why they were always asking for a contribution of $18. I leave that to the reader to pursue.

I miss you Rabbi Mark Golub already. I thank G-d for the modern technology that lets me continue to hear the First Lady of Song, and your interviews.

snailgate

Sue U

Re: You want fries with that?

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:27 pm
Mickey Dees could soon be selling Kosher Cheeseburgers in Jerusalem.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -religion/

Wow! The problems the literalists have with modern commerce.
The question presented in the linked article is "is lab-grown steak kosher?" This is not a problem of "literalists" and "modern commerce." This is a philosophical question concerning the meaning and purpose of kashrut (the laws and practices governing what is considered permissible as food).

When it comes to using animals for food, kashrut is about humane treatment, particularly for mammals and fowl. Slaughter practices are intended to be as quick and painless as possible. The prohibition on mixing meat and dairy derives from the biblical injunction not to seethe a kid in its mother's milk, which is meant to teach sensitivity to the feelings of all living creatures and to avoid practices that smack of cruelty generally -- even the appearance of cruelty. When we eat animals, we are to be conscious of how they lived and died for our benefit, and whether their treatment and our use conform to what we think should be some minimum moral standards.

"Lab-grown steak" presents obvious problems in this regard. First, to the extent "lab-grown" may be indistinguishable from living animal products, there is a risk that unscrupulous dealers might substitute one for the other. Second, to the extent kashrut is an expression of values, differentiating between "lab-grown" and "living animal" meat in order to engage in practices otherwise considered immoral degrades those values. Third, offering such otherwise-forbidden foods for sale as compliant with rules of kashrut erodes the distinction between kosher and non-kosher products generally.
Burning Petard wrote:
And on another note, farewell Rabbi Mark Golub, founder of the Jewish Broadcasting Service. Out of boredom during Covid I started clicking through every channel on my cable service, starting with number one and going up to 1849 classical music. I stumbled onto 798, JBS. The 700 group on my cable services mostly nut-ball christian (my definition, your's may vary) but here at 798 was JBS. Beautiful singing in a language I could not understand. At one point an a Friday night the men were singing a welcome to the female spirit of Sabbath into the room (there were English sub-titles on the bottom of the screen) and I actually expected the camera to shift to the doors in the back of the room and see a female figure come in.
The song you heard was almost certainly Lecha Dodi ("Let us go, my beloved, to welcome the bride"), which likens the arrival of Shabbat to the arrival of a bride at her wedding in all her beauty and splendor. It is traditional for all denominations of Jews in welcoming Shabbat, and at the end of the song most congregations actually do turn toward the door to symbolically welcome and usher in her presence.

I didn't know of Mark Golub or JBS until his death, but from what I've read about him in his obituary it seems he was a very smart and interesting guy.
Burning Petard wrote:
I even became driven to discover why they were always asking for a contribution of $18. I leave that to the reader to pursue.
It's not much of a mystery. In Hebrew, the letters of the alphabet are assigned numeric values (similar to Roman numerals, but different; it's still the way many calendars are notated). The letters in the word for "life" (chet and yod, spelling "chai") add up to 18. So 18 (and its multiples) has become a customary figure for gifts, donations, and other "magic number" applications.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Thanks for the explanations, Sue.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:18 pm
The song you heard was almost certainly Lecha Dodi ("Let us go, my beloved, to welcome the bride"), which likens the arrival of Shabbat to the arrival of a bride at her wedding in all her beauty and splendor.
There are hundreds of tunes for Lecha Dodi but OMG this is the most beautiful version I have ever heard and I can't stop playing it (melody written by the singer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHT8lvWQbE
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just goes to show the lunacy of religion that sane people consider a omnipotent being capable of such silliness.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:55 am
Just goes to show the lunacy of religion that sane people consider a omnipotent being capable of such silliness.
You're a regular Johnny One-Note. And that one note has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. Where in this thread has anyone mentioned "a omnipotent being," what is the "silliness" said being is alleged to have the capacity for, and what sane person is alleging it? Do try to keep up.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thanks Sue for your careful exposition on my flippant (Fox News like?) comment about lab protein and food regulations in Israel. Among many, one thing I learned about from Rabbi Golub is the long respected highly developed art of Midrash. I wish organized Christianity could indulge in it joyfully. An another is that ALL scripture is metaphor. A Jewish literalist is more of a contradiction than military intelligence.

snailgate