Is suicide always wrong?

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Jarlaxle

Re: Is suicide always wrong?

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:34 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:18 am

The same could be said for many things...offhand, alcoholism, smoking, high-risk hobbies. (I have often wondered how many motorcycle crashes are suicide.) My grandfather deliberately drank himself to death. If he didn't drink, I would put his chance of suicide right at 100%.
I absolutely agree that some people are committing slow motion suicide by the lifestyle choices they engage in because they aren’t concerned with the outcome - a cancer diagnosis would be a welcome exit from their depression. Except, I have worked with people who felt that way until they actually got the diagnosis and suddenly they wanted desperately to live and were able to find joy in the simplest of things. Again, the brain is a wicked organ capable of lying to itself. How fascinating that is, and also how disturbing and terrifying.
It's not that he was not concerned with the outcome. It was more than he couldn't hear the screaming after a pint of Jim Beam.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The screaming of the lambs? Of the people who died around him in war? Of his family when he abused them? Of some other demons in his head?

Just curious but of course you don’t need to share if you prefer not.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:12 pm
The screaming of the lambs? Of the people who died around him in war? Of his family when he abused them? Of some other demons in his head?

Just curious but of course you don’t need to share if you prefer not.
He was 6th Armored. One of the first into Buchenwald.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Heard the beginning of this interview last week on Fresh Air, haven't had the time to catch the rest but for those who want to, here it is.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/05/11681048 ... ncy-martin

GAH!