May he rest in piss

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Scooter

May he rest in piss

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1686255152727.jpg
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Re: May he rest in piss

Post by Sue U »

Is Pride what finally got him?
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Are they waiting three days to see if he comes back?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

0AA364B9-EABF-42A4-9F5A-0B73083DCA8E.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

906B4B55-5923-4B5B-9D73-63358E9406B2.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Hell, even Keith Richards outlived him--and I wouldn't have bet that. but karma's a bitch Pat.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thank you Scooter. This is a nice addendum to Pride Month.

snailgate.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

If you don't have anything good to say about someone you should say nothing at all.

Pat Robertson is dead.
Good.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

datsunaholic wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:19 am
If you don't have anything good to say about someone you should say nothing at all.

Pat Robertson is dead.
Good.
:ok
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

I watched his Seven Hundred Club for two seasons and never heard him say anything mean. I did see him do good work around the world. He has helped people in third-world countries from Africa to Ukraine. Shit Head hates him, I think, for being an influential Christian. Is Shit Head a coward as well as a mean piece of shit? I can't remember him ever critiquing Muslims. Like most cowards, he attacks those he thinks he is safe from counterattack.

Here is a good question: Why does Shit Head hate Christians so much?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:13 pm
Was Pat Robertson your idea of a 'good Christian'?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:33 pm
liberty wrote:
Well, Trump is lib's idea of a 'good President', so draw your own conclusions.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
liberty wrote:
As far as I can tell, he believed in Christ and tried to help people; what's wrong with that. Is it the fact that he was conservative that makes you hate him? You know Lord Jim was a conservative.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:26 am
As far as I can tell, he believed in Christ and tried to help people; what's wrong with that. Is it the fact that he was conservative that makes you hate him? You know Lord Jim was a conservative.
Pat Robertson believed in a lot of strange things. Rather than me explaining why I and others didn't like him, I'll let my friend Wiki tell you a little bit about him. Then maybe you can respond and let everyone know if you agree with him and if that's why you admire him so much...
(Pat Robertson) Controversies

As a commentator and minister, Robertson frequently generated controversy. The divisive and dehumanizing [weasel words] nature of his comments resulted in some of his remarks becoming the subject of national and international media attention, prompting responses from politicians.[70]

Robertson's service as a minister included the belief in the healing power of God.[71] He cautioned believers that some Protestant denominations may harbor the spirit of the Antichrist;[72] prayed to deflect hurricanes;[73] denounced Hinduism as "demonic"[74] and Islam as "Satanic".[75]

Robertson denounced left-wing views of feminism,[76] activism regarding homosexuality,[77] abortion,[78] and liberal college professors.[79] Critics claim Robertson had business dealings in Africa with former president of Liberia and convicted war criminal Charles Taylor,[80] and former Zaire president Mobutu Sese Seko,[35] both of whom had been internationally denounced for claims of human rights violations. Robertson was criticized internationally for his call for Hugo Chávez's assassination,[35] and for his remarks concerning Ariel Sharon's ill-health as an act of God.[81] In an interview on The 700 Club, Robertson stated:

I have said last year that Israel was entering into the most dangerous period of its entire existence as a nation. That is intensifying this year with the loss of Sharon. Sharon was personally a very likeable person. I am sad to see him in this condition. But I think we need to look at the Bible and the Book of Joel. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who, quote, "divide my land." God considers this land to be his. You read the Bible, he says, "This is my land." And for any prime minister of Israel who decides he going carve it up and give it away, God says, "No. This is mine." And the same thing – I had a wonderful meeting with Yitzhak Rabin in 1974. He was tragically assassinated, and it was terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless, he was dead. And now Ariel Sharon, who was again a very likeable person, a delightful person to be with. I prayed with him personally. But here he is at the point of death. He was dividing God's land, and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU, the United Nations or United States of America. God said, "This land belongs to me, you better leave it alone."[82]

During the week of September 11, 2001, Robertson interviewed Jerry Falwell, who expressed his own opinion that "the ACLU has to take a lot of blame for this" in addition to "the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays, and the lesbians [who have] helped [the terror attacks of September 11th] happen." Robertson replied, "I totally concur".[83] Both evangelists were seriously criticized by President George W. Bush for their comments,[84] for which Falwell later issued an apology.[85]

Less than two weeks after Hurricane Katrina killed 1,836 people, Robertson implied on the September 12, 2005 broadcast of The 700 Club that the storm was God's punishment in response to America's abortion policy. He suggested that the September 11 attacks and the disaster in New Orleans "could [...] be connected in some way".[86]

In 2009, Robertson said that Islam is "a violent political system bent on the overthrow of the governments of the world and world domination". He went on to elaborate that "you're dealing with not a religion, you're dealing with a political system, and I think we should treat it as such, and treat its adherents as such as we would members of the communist party, members of some fascist group".[87]

Robertson's response to the 2010 Haiti earthquake also drew international condemnation.[88][89] Robertson claimed that Haiti's founders had sworn a "pact to the Devil" in order to liberate themselves from the French slave owners and indirectly attributed the earthquake to the consequences of the Haitian people being "cursed" for doing so.[90][91] CBN later issued a statement saying that Robertson's comments "were based on the widely-discussed 1791 slave rebellion led by Dutty Boukman at Bois Caïman, where the slaves allegedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French".[92][93] Various figures in mainline and evangelical[94] Christianity have on occasion disavowed some of Robertson's remarks.[88][95]

In March 2015, Robertson compared Buddhism to a disease on The 700 Club.[96] The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), a conservative Christian watchdog group Robertson founded to promote Christian prayer in public schools, called for a multi-pronged attack on mindfulness programs because "they appear to be similar to Buddhist religious practices. Proponents of secular mindfulness say mindfulness is not a Buddhist practice; it is a contemplative practice used in religious traditions around the world by many different names."[97]

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
liberty wrote:
I think I found one of the reasons that you hate Pat Robertson. Let me ask you this question: Do you consider the Nazi extermination of Jews to be a demonic act. You might not realize it the Nazis did not commit the first act of genocide; it was the black government of Haiti in 1804. Do you consider it demonic?

1804 Haitian massacre - Wikipedia

"The 1804 Haiti massacre also known as the 1804 Haitian Genocide[1][2] or simply the Haitian Genocide[1][3] was carried out by Afro-Haitian soldiers, mostly former slaves, under orders from Jean-Jacques Dessalines against the remaining European population in Haiti, which mainly included French and mulattoes.[4][5] The Haitian Revolution defeated the French army in November 1803 and the Haitian Declaration of Independence happened on 1 January 1804.[6] From February 1804[7] until 22 April 1804, squads of soldiers moved from house to house throughout Haiti, torturing and killing entire families.[8] Between 3,000 and 5,000 people were killed."

"torturing and killing entire families" That means men, women and children including toddlers and babies; no real difference than Nazis.
Last edited by liberty on Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I don't hate (dead) Pat Robertson. I do think he was not a good person and had too much power, money and influence.
liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:53 am
.... Let me ask you this question: Do you consider the Nazi extermination of Jews to be a demonic act.
No. It was Hitler and his minions.

I don't think the devil had anything to do with Haiti either.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:05 am
I don't hate (dead) Pat Robertson. I do think he was not a good person and had too much power, money and influence.
liberty wrote:
.... Let me ask you this question: Do you consider the Nazi extermination of Jews to be a demonic act.
No. It was Hitler and his minions.

I don't think the devil had anything to do with Haiti either.
OK, but you're not pat Robinson; he saw the source of evil as the influence of the devil. I see it somewhat the same way. When men give themselves over to evil; they will do evil.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Do you agree with Pat Robertson that Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment in response to America's abortion policy?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
You might not realize it the Nazis did not commit the first act of genocide; it was the black government of Haiti in 1804.
The descendants of Carthage might take umbrage - except that they don’t exist thanks to the genocide of their ancestors by the Romans in something something BCE.

Humans have been genocidal probably for many millennia, as soon as they met the other and found them wanting or just felt fear. However while it is one thing to pillage and destroy entire societies as the spoils of war against an other; it is next level diabolical to remove your neighbors from the street and transport them by train to a location specifically engineered and built as a mass killing apparatus.

To carry this on not in the heat of the days following frenzied battle, but in a long slow methodical burn over years - whilst all the civilian folk continued living their lives as though nothing so sickening was happening - is mind boggling.

The Holocaust almost makes me believe in evil - but chalking it up to evil is a dangerous game, it is imperative that we never forget the capacity for cruelty in the human animal. We are a species apart in that regard, but it doesn’t prove the existence of a god or gods or the existence of (d)evil(s) - it proves only that our brains are among the most amazing and yet also terrifying products of evolution.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And lib told us that "I can't remember him ever critiquing Muslims."

This just shows that lib's memory is on the slide. I did a Google search for 'Pat Robertson muslim islam" and got 2.1 million results. You will be relieved to hear that I don't plan to review them all but maybe I will go through some of them on the first page.

Al Jazeera told us that Robertson "help[ed] make Islamophobia mainstream in the Republican Party [and that he] . . . attacked Muslims, Islam and the Prophet Muhammad throughout the years. He called the religion a “monumental scam” in 2002." You might not like Al Jazeera much, lib, but they were (to some extent) banned by Saudi Arabia, UAE and Jordan so they can't be all bad.

NBC told us in 2006 that Robertson "said Monday on his live news-and-talk program “The 700 Club” that Islam is not a religion of peace."

The Virgina-Pilot (Norfolk VA paper so probably heavily oriented towards Navy views - that's me speculating) told us in 2015 that "Pat Robertson denounced Islam on “The 700 Club” on Tuesday, calling it “a political system masquerading as a religion.”"

NYT told us in 2002 that "The religious broadcaster Pat Robertson described Islam on Thursday as a violent religion that wants to ''dominate and then, if need be, destroy.''"

I think I'll stop there. Let me know if your memory needs further jogging, lib. It happens to us all.