Happy Holidays

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
Burning Petard

Happy Holidays

Post by Burning Petard »

There seems to be a general agreement among humans, that there needs to be a time during the shortest hours of daylite during this part of the year, for a community gathering to share comfort in each others presence. For many, that is called Christmas.

Today I was driving around with the radio on and heard "Christmas in the Trenches.' This is a song about an actual spontaneous truce that occurred in the early days of the Great War. The military leaders on both sides made sure it never happened again and the killing went on. I began crying as I listened and thought about the people of Ukraine and Russia who a few short years ago shared religious loyalties to the same Patriarchs, and many spoke the same language. This Christmas they will continue killing each other as best they can. I cannot repeat the wishes of Tiny Tim in the story by Charles Dickens, but I do give thanks that the Christian triune God is merciful.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Re: Happy Holidays

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm
I do give thanks that the Christian triune God is merciful.
Assumes facts not in evidence. Nevertheless if it comforts you I’m glad of it.

I read a novelized version of the Christmas truce sometime in the late 80s I think but it’s driving me crazy that I can’t recall the title or find it anywhere online.

There is a movie of it called Joyeaux Noel which gets pretty good reviews, I think I’ll put it on the watchlist for the weekend.

https://youtu.be/KRrr-CDXijs?si=hneUVO_4OZ8hgwWx

The full movie is free to watch on YouTube if you’re interested snailgate.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That movie is worth the watch BSG; and it emphasizes one of Orwell's points in 1984--we need to demonize the enemy for the government to retain control.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 pm
Assumes facts not in evidence.
So does that. Merry Christmas! :)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I spent the afternoon watching a movie -- The Most Reluctant Convert: the untold story of CS Lewis. I was just what I needed. It changed my mood near the beginning when he described his mother as having a special talent for happiness. I was delighted when by recognizing a direct quote from Lewis: "GK Chesterton was beginning to seem the most sensible man alive, apart from his Christianity; and Christianity quite sensible apart from its Christianity." I also recognize Lewis was speaking of entirely different matters than Dietrich Bonhoeffer who hoped for a day when Christianity would reject its Christianity. The movie was crated with a nicely done conceit, that you knew this was a movie you were watching as it was made. It ended with a Christmas scene inside a church which progressed to a long view outside the church, as the star stepped out into heavy snow wearing a heavy coat and scarf while the camera pulled back revealing the large shades, the bright sun, the flowers outside the church, the crew wearing summer clothing, even shorts. while the director complemented everyone.

I like it. I wish you too a merry christmas and a 2024 with at least glimpses of peace.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I hadn’t heard of this film, will be dialing it up shortly. Even though I’m now an atheist I still love CS Lewis. It’s been a while so I might make it a double feature for Boxing Day and rewatch Shadowlands as well.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Wartime Christmas ~ Joyce Kilmer, 1886–1918

Led by a star, a golden star,
The youngest star, an olden star,
Here the kings and the shepherds are,
Akneeling on the ground.
What did they come to the inn to see?
God in the Highest, and this is He,
A baby asleep on His mother’s knee
And with her kisses crowned.

Now is the earth a dreary place,
A troubled place, a weary place.
Peace has hidden her lovely face
And turned in tears away.
Yet the sun, through the war-cloud, sees
Babies asleep on their mother’s knees.
While there are love and home—and these—
There shall be Christmas Day.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Now you know why the day after Christmas is BOXING DAY!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

wesw

Post by wesw »

what a good song , econoline. what an uneasy peace we have within ourselves....

i thought it was joni mitchell at first...

nevermind....