God & Country

All things philosophical, related to belief and / or religions of any and all sorts.
Personal philosophy welcomed.
BoSoxGal

God & Country

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Re: God & Country

Post by wesw »

what about family?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This film released on Kanopy (free library streaming service) this week and I’m watching it now.

Definitely a must see, people!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

OK, BSG, I can agree on the danger, even the anti-Christianity, of American Christian Nationalism. But I find I am jumping through the hoop of 'anti-semitism' which seems to encompass any non-support of the State of Israel's foreign policy. The evil of the shoa seems to be a 'get out of jail free' card for anything done today under the flag of modern Israel. I have a hat pin of a slice of watermelon (symbolic of support for Palestine) but I have not worn it.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

But I find I am jumping through the hoop of 'anti-semitism' which seems to encompass any non-support of the State of Israel's foreign policy.
Keep jumping thru the imaginary hoop.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m still watching the film because I took a break to go to early bird dinner - I’m officially a geezer, I don’t eat past 6:30pm - and, I have to reiterate, it must be seen.

It’s chilling to realize how deeply disconnected one America is from the other America. I spent some time in the 80s attending conservative Christian churches with school friends - part of my religious exploration which happened because my own family quit church altogether (laziness not lack of faith) and I felt keenly the absence of it.

I also have had conservative Christian friends believe it or not through university education and beyond, and my sister’s family is First Baptist - she actually married the pastor’s son.

So I knew something more than most about this world but I think most Americans are very tuned out from the rumbling force that is conservative Christian nationalism until the shock of Dobbs killing Roe.

I have genuine fear about this country falling to theocracy. I believe religion can be a force for good and I think many religious people are actually very fine people - but this brand of fear stoked fervor promising to wipe out vermin that is destroying America - that’s clearly the edge of insanity. But it is not so rare, and the way our electoral system is designed and implemented via congressional districting it is a massively possible consequence that the minority conservative Christians and their political arm could have power over the much much larger majority of Americans who believe in liberal democracy.

Gilead on the horizon, people.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

They certainly scare me. I find their biblical understanding to be limited, false, racist, and in a word reprehensible. Even the notion that God cares more for America than . . . . anywhere else on earth . . . is repugnant.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 3:33 am
They certainly scare me. I find their biblical understanding to be limited, false, racist, and in a word reprehensible. Even the notion that God cares more for America than . . . . anywhere else on earth . . . is repugnant.
Yes, this. It gives me a sick stomach to think about what a theocratic fascist America might do in the world.
~ Carl Sagan