Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Long Run

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Long Run »

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The fact that the military will award someone a Good Conduct Medal would seem to imply that they generally expect debauchery and bad behavior; otherwise there would be no need for such a citation.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

You do not have any idea what it takes to get the good conduct medal-- Three years of zero disciplinary actions on your record as an enlisted person.
Any commander can reset that clock by including a remark on the paperwork when the person is transferred from unit to unit "not recommended for Good Conduct Medal" and that remark is outside any appeal process. In other words that medal represents three continuous years of a flunky never pissing off a boss.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Or a screw up having a good boss who doesn't hold grudges (and there even are some of these in the military).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I am hopelessly addicted to pad Thai.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

As Covid goes on the amount of places I’m willing to be seen wearing sweatpants is slowly expanding.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

As Covid goes on the amount of places I’m willing to be seen wearing sweatpants is slowly expanding.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Do the Winnie-the-Pooh books now require a Tigger warning?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My three year old daughter asked, “Where does Poo come from?”.

I decided it was best to explain it at a level she would understand so I said, “You just had breakfast?”

“Yes.” she replied.

“Well, the food goes in your mouth down into your tummy. Our body takes all the good stuff it needs from out of the food then what’s left goes down to your bottom and when you go to the toilet that comes out as poo.”

She looked confused and stared at me in stunned silence for a few seconds then asked, “And Tigger?”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Econoline wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:41 pm
Do the Winnie-the-Pooh books now require a Tigger warning?
Stealing that!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:42 am
My three year old daughter asked, “Where does Poo come from?”.

I decided it was best to explain it at a level she would understand so I said, “You just had breakfast?”

“Yes.” she replied.

“Well, the food goes in your mouth down into your tummy. Our body takes all the good stuff it needs from out of the food then what’s left goes down to your bottom and when you go to the toilet that comes out as poo.”

She looked confused and stared at me in stunned silence for a few seconds then asked, “And Tigger?”
Stealing that too!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Am I weird for having a nagging desire to lick a lamp made from pink Himalayan salt?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I was watching a Nova program about Arctic sinkholes emitting methane (newsflash we are really fucked) and because I was also playing Dordle obsessively the PBS player took me immediately into Eyes on the Prize which I had added to my watchlist and guess what?

It’s way more fucking depressing to watch Eyes on the Prize as a 51 year old alive now than it was as a 12 year old in the 80s when I first watched it and thought it was about bad history we had overcome.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

The Golden Rule ("What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor") is now considered "being woke"...OK. I get that. I can accept that. But what I DON'T get and CANNOT accept is however the hell this came to be considered an INSULT.
:shrug :loon :roll:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:19 pm
The Golden Rule ("What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor") is now considered "being woke"...OK. I get that. I can accept that. But what I DON'T get and CANNOT accept is however the hell this came to be considered an INSULT.
:shrug :loon :roll:
Meh, it's the weaker negative version of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

But how do you mean 'insult'? Is there a link to a story here?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

The version I quoted is from Hillel, but of course I know that there are many other variations from many other religions. I was just observing that much of the right-wing political world now seems to treat "woke" as their go-to all-purpose insult...but if you actually drill down into the behavior being called "woke" it usually consists of someone just following the "Golden Rule".

(This has been a random thought from the Home for Random Thoughts.)
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks, econo. :ok
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Econoline, it is just one more manifestation of the personality cult of Trumpism. His true believers take anything he says, or is said to have said, and repeat with ever grater context-less agreement that it is a fundamental revealment of ultimate truth.

Of course Trump and his followers hate any real-life application of the golden rule, and actually follow the most cynical version--he who has the gold makes the rules. And even there, long before the Apprentice tv show, it was known that he only had Fools' Gold and a pile of unpaid bills. He even managed to loose money selling steak, booze, and gambling.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-