Cactus Flower

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Joe Guy

Cactus Flower

Post by Joe Guy »

I took this photo in my backyard today. The plant blooms only once per year. The rest of the time it's boring looking....

Flower.jpg

Sue U

Re: Cactus Flower

Post by Sue U »

That's lovely.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes, very pretty. Can we get a slightly wider shot with better aspect of the foliage? It looks like some variety of what's commonly known as Christmas cactus - but which blooms all year round in fact. Mine are blooming again now, for the third time since around Thanksgiving.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:34 am
Yes, very pretty. Can we get a slightly wider shot with better aspect of the foliage? It looks like some variety of what's commonly known as Christmas cactus - but which blooms all year round in fact. Mine are blooming again now, for the third time since around Thanksgiving.
I cropped the 1st photo because the plant itself is not very exciting to look at. It is a Christmas cactus and it only blooms once per year. There is a way to force them to bloom more than once but I've never done that. So anyway, by special request, here's another photo of the plant:

Xmas Cactus.jpg
For perspective, it is in an 18 inch wooden pot and stands a little over 2 feet high. The plant from the tip of one side to the other is around 4 feet.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Thanks! It's lovely. I think it's actually an orchid cactus, native to Mexico in original but this would be a cultivar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disocactu ... enkinsonii

They don't like a ton of feeding, but if it's been in the pot a long time without the dirt being fed or replaced, that might account for less abundant flowering. Once a year is nice anyway, it's something to look forward to!

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postde ... 20steroids.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/garde ... piphyllums

It's possible yours is getting too much sun, if it is in full sun - that might account for the yellowish foliage. They like bright morning sun but then do best in partial or dappled sun during the full daylight hours.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yes, I guess it is an orchid cactus. I'm not sure why I thought it was a Christmas cactus. Maybe because it only blooms once per year.

I think it gets the right amount of sun. It just doesn't get the right amount of care. I have never fed it. It's one of those things in my garden that I just check on, water and clean up every once in a while.