Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Jarlaxle

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Jarlaxle »

It is currently 57 degrees in El Paso. It is 25 and snowing like crazy here.

I need to move to Texas.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Does the term "inside-out" mean the same thing as "outside-in"? or are they opposites?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Filling out my first invention disclosure form.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Home for Random Thoughts

Post by RayThom »

Crackpot wrote:Filling out my first invention disclosure form.
Cold fusion or perpetual motion?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

A spell-checker?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

If those are my choices perpetual motion.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Mmmm I can taste barbecue season coming.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I b-b-q all year.
I could use a new grill. My weber is 19 years old. Never did anything to it other than give it a cleaning every year but this past year the cart portion started rusting through along with the "guard (flavor?)" bars. Had to do a little angle iron repair to keep the burner box from falling through the cart.

Burners and controls all still work so I hate to get a new one. If I do get a new one, it will be another weber.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Somehow, it's a bit frightening that "Shaving Ryan's Privates" is almost 20 years old. Even worse, "Time Bandits" was made 36 years ago. Who Knows Where the Time Goes? (lyrics and music by Sandy Denny, 50 years ago)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Oldr--it's not cheap, but you can get replacement flavorizer bars and other parts through Weber fro far less than buying a new grill. I am replacing the bars and burners this year, and in the past replaced the brackets that held the bars and grates; the system is pretty modular, so most parts are replaceable. Mine is about as old as yours and is always outside (although I do cover it.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

All true, BigRR, but I am still voting for the position that Oldr deserves a new one!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Deserves? sure; but from what he writes I think oldr gets far more pleasure out of fixing an old product than buying a new one.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Big RR wrote:Oldr--it's not cheap, but you can get replacement flavorizer bars and other parts through Weber fro far less than buying a new grill. I am replacing the bars and burners this year, and in the past replaced the brackets that held the bars and grates; the system is pretty modular, so most parts are replaceable. Mine is about as old as yours and is always outside (although I do cover it.
The bars are not the problem, as you said cheap and easy. The real problem is the cart itself. Had to add angle irons to the cross members that go across the front and back that hold up the grill box. Also the bottom of the legs that hold the small front casters have rusted to the point the casters have broken out. :arg

It does pain me to spend $500+ on another. This one was a 40th birthday gift from friends so it has some sentimental value too. And (big AND) the burners and grill box and even the grills are all still working and usable. Gotta take a look around the nieghborhood and see if anyone is throwing a similar one away and if the cart is in good shape. Although I am afraid of disruppting the rust under the control knobs. :o

I'm going to show Long Runs post to my wife. :mrgreen:
Long Run wrote:All true, BigRR, but I am still voting for the position that Oldr deserves a new one!
:ok
Big RR wrote:Deserves? sure; but from what he writes I think oldr gets far more pleasure out of fixing an old product than buying a new one.
True that. :ok

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Acually my wife has been suggesting getting me a new grill for my birthday (june 18) for the last three years and I keep saying, "I'll fix it and get another year out of it".
Grilled up steaks this past weekend on it and hot dogs last night, so it still "fires up". Have to light with a match though. The piezo sparker is down to the ceramic with no metal left sticking out (not even near the end of the ceramic).

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Gimme a couple of evenings and I'll get it back to as good as new. Maybe not quite "new", but close enough. And I'll do it for only the cost of the flavor bars and sparker. The rest I probably have bits and pieces I can use. I think I even have some agled aluminum so it won't rust out again on me. ;)

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

New theory... oldr is actually Joe Guy
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

No. But I am older and wiser.... :mrgreen:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

... than what?
:shrug

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Joe Guy wrote:No. But I am older and wiser.... :mrgreen:
My sons middle name is Joe and someone yelled "Hey Guy" at me the other night.
But I don't think that counts.

For the record I am not Joe Guy ....... nor anyone else.

But I am older than I was yesterday.
The Wiser part is up for debate.
:shrug :loon :mrgreen:

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

One day I'm going to let the only other person who actually posts at Plan B know that I'm everybody else.

That's going to upset you, so be prepared.