(1) _____: the (2) _____ of the (3) _____.

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Andrew D

Re: (1) _____: the (2) _____ of the (3) _____.

Post by Andrew D »

Another additional aspect of the game -- a burden on the author of the riddle and the clues, not on the people trying to solve the riddle.

(Sorry that I didn't get everything across at first; it's been a long time since I last presented this game to people unfamiliar with it.)

Once a blank has been correctly filled in, the author of the riddle and the clues must explain how each numbered clue points to its corresponding numbered blank. Besides showing that the author did not just pull clues out of her or his ass, this also gives an indication of the particular author's way(s) of formulating clues.

"Silence" is a term for lack of flavor in a distilled spirit, which explains "Flavorlessness". "Tower of Silence" is a term for a tower upon which some Zoroastrians place dead bodies, which explains "Tower of the dead."
Reason is valuable only when it performs against the wordless physical background of the universe.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

3. Once a Massachusetts sergeant?
Shriver...
ImageImageImage

Rick

Post by Rick »

Silence: the crux of the biscuit
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
1. Silence
2. Pope
3. Murphy
Bergen: the Brown of the Murphy.

Meade's guess made it much easier for me to figure out.... :D

Rick

Post by Rick »

Silence: the seduction of the Sirens
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Rick

Post by Rick »

Silence: the Sirens of (the) Kafka...sorry getting carried away

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gandhi

Silence; the highest virtue of the strong
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Rick

Post by Rick »

See I don't get virtue from paramour let alone greatest virtue, too stupid to play this game I guess

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

So to recap where we are:

1. Flavorlessness, Tower of the Dead = Silence
2. Paramour, Pious eminence = ?
3. Past changes?, Once a Massachusetts sergeant? = ?

Okay, I'm trying to get the hang of this, but I confess that so far, I'm still stumped.

ETA: Are the answers each one word?
GAH!

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

Sue U wrote:Are the answers each one word?
Yes, each blank is for one word. For more than one word, the proper format would be, e.g., (1) _____: the (2) _____ (3) _____. For that reason, even setting aside the clues, MajGenl.Meade latest guess is necessarily incorrect.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the maximum permissible number of blanks is three.
Rick wrote:See I don't get virtue from paramour let alone greatest virtue, too stupid to play this game I guess
On the contrary, you appear to grasp it clearly: Because virtue bears no evident relationship to paramour, virtue is not correct.
Reason is valuable only when it performs against the wordless physical background of the universe.

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

Silence: the (2) __________ of the (3) __________.

2. An old one is best.
3. Down, out, high and low.

(A tactical note: Because the winner is the one who fills in the last empty blank (which need not be blank (3)), if you think that you know one of the blanks, it might be advisable to keep it to yourself until the other blank is filled in. On the other hand, if you are wrong about the guess which you do not make public, you could set yourself on a completely wrong path.)

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

You're not actually helping, you know.

But I can't wait to see what comes next.
GAH!

Rick

Post by Rick »

2) reflection

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

2. Friend
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Rick

Post by Rick »

2. Love

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

Congrats to Guinevere for filling in blank (2).

Friend is a euphemism for a paramour. "Friend of God" is a term for someone "eminent for piety" (OED). The song "Old Friends" begins with the lines "Old Friends / Are the best friends".

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

3. Artist? (I'm thinking John singer)
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sean

Post by Sean »

Andrew D wrote: "Friend of God" is a term for someone "eminent for piety" (OED).
Bit of a stretch getting 'friend' from 'pious eminence' then... Actually, 'pious eminence', as written (not to mention 'eminent for piety'), would suggest a state of being rather than a noun.

Now if you'd written: "A person of pious eminence", (or "a person eminent for piety") it would make a lot more sense. However, even then the answer would be 'Friend of God' rather than 'Friend'.

Just nitpicking really... :mrgreen: :nana
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

An eminence can be "a person of high rank or attainments". Thus, a gray eminence is "a person who exercises power behind the scenes".

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

(3) Dead?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God