COPPER HEADCASE

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
MajGenl.Meade

COPPER HEADCASE

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

COPPER HEADCASE

To Mr. Henry A. Cram, New York

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, Sunday, August 9, 1863.

I note what you report as the secession talk of New York; the same thing has been said in the Times, Tribune and Herald. If the draft is not heartily responded to, the Government had better make up its mind to letting the South go. Don't misunderstand me; I am nothing of a copperhead. I am for a vigorous prosecution of the war as evidenced by my pursuit of Lee.

Up to the present time over twenty regiments have left this army, and recruited by only one hundred and twenty miserable creatures; a dozen of whom were discharged from old regiments for physical disability. Four of them had mental incapacity and delirium tremens the day they joined, presumably having served in the Western armies where alcohol and breakdowns of nerves are not uncommon.

I hear from officers who have been in Washington that the President offered the command of this army to Grant, who declined it, but recommended Sherman. Thus the lion of the hour avoids trying his mettle against competent Confederate generals and soldiery, even though near annihilation after their salutary defeat in Pennsylvania. Should the President determine to bring Sherman to this army, it is to be expected that I shall be sent West. Grant shall be superseded, for I shall require sufficient elevation in rank as to make no doubt in any mind as to the rights of command.

Grant would be a suitable replacement for Halleck, whose abilities were never in question, and whose performance met my full expectation of him, as evidenced by the offensive telegraphs sent me after Gettysburg. As opposed to Halleck’s running of messages on behalf of the President, I have received very handsome letters, from Generals McClellan and Pope. They thoroughly endorse my strategy against Lee, which they both assure me comports with their own analysis of the situation. Having experienced myself the distortions of reality suffered by a commanding general, I really begin to believe that Pope may have been ill-served by some of our eastern officers. However that may be, he remains proof that a fine reputation is more easily gained on the Ohio than on the Potomac.

In relation to fine reputations, I have had Warren made a major general and George’s friend, Colonel Canard, a brigadier. The latter may have cause to regret this honor as it occasions some merriment in the ranks. Instigated by that rascal Kowell, who is rumored to have befriended a certain French woman amongst the followers, the men have taken to yelling out “Duck!” every time Canard rides past. The poor fellow has begun flinching, even though far from any hostile activity, and gives every evidence of an imbalance of the brain. Perhaps the President can be prevailed upon to transfer him to Grant’s army where he shall find his companions more congenial.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Re: COPPER HEADCASE

Post by Sue U »

Sherman was an interesting guy; a hard man for a hard job, from what I've read. I wonder whether anyone then or now would or even could show as much resolve.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I don't disagree Guin but this guy Meade - talk about a whiner!

FORREST CUMP

To Mrs. George G. Meade

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, August 24, 1864.

I see you have heard of the promotion of Sherman, Hancock and Sheridan, and noted the absence of my name. I determined to keep quiet till I could obtain some explanation from General Grant, the substance of which is that he desired to advance his two favorites. He had only three places to give and having recommended Hancock before Sheridan, he could not now hitch the latter’s train to a different Pennsylvania engine. Personal ambition forming no part of my character, I shall say no more of this matter.

I know nothing of Sherman other than what I read in the papers. Early in the war he became so distempered by imaginary rebels that he returned to Ohio to rest his nerves. Under his wife’s care he achieved such calmness of mind that he ignored dire warnings at Shiloh, left his lines unprotected and was overwhelmed by real rebels. That was followed by failures at Chickasaw Bayou and Missionary Ridge before he engaged upon his campaign to frighten Joe Johnston back to Atlanta.

Entre nous, Warren alleges that the debacle at Kennesaw was undertaken to distract attention from Grant’s bungling at Cold Harbor. I feel almost certain this is but a malicious jest. In any event, there can be no doubt of the outcome. Sherman will wrest Atlanta from Hood whereupon Grant may bring him east to this army as he did Sheridan.

I have taken the liberty of sending Sherman a box of English chocolate sweets and a few lines of congratulation on his promotion. I also urged upon him that once Atlanta is ours and fairly won, he should relinquish his communications and drive one of his armies through Georgia to the sea. He is skilled at marching where Confederates are scarce to be found. He is unlikely to take the bait but one never knows what one might get.

We have had some pretty hard fighting to secure our lodgement on the Weldon Railroad. Grant and Warren are the heroes of the affair, although Grant was sixteen miles away, and knew nothing but what was reported to him by myself.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:I don't disagree Guin
Uh, Guin is the blonde.
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Meade, a whiner and not a stickler for details!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Uh, Guin is the blonde.
You know, sometimes I'm so blinded by intelligence and beauty that I can't tell one from another

:o

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sue U wrote:
Uh, Guin is the blonde.
You know, sometimes I'm so blinded by intelligence and beauty that I can't tell one from another

:o
Sounds just about right to me. We are *sooooooo* similar!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Long Run wrote:Meade, a whiner and not a stickler for details!
But at least Meade wasn't a turncoat, like Arnold.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Speaking of Sheridan, one of my all time favorite quotes is attributed to him:
“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell.”
That quote is quite popular among Redskins fans...
ImageImageImage