Death of a cicada

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Gob

Death of a cicada

Post by Gob »

Taken on my morning dog walk.

The bloody thing was still alive throughout this, even in that last shot!!

For scale, the cicada is about 1 1/2 inches long.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Death of a cicada

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

There ain't much meat on her, but what there is is cherce!

Nice pics
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

yep. maybe you ll catch one molting some time. amazing to watch, but takes a while.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Oh creepy as all but wow I keep thinking I need to invest in a really good camera. Did you take any instruction or is this just the result of practice. Oh and raw talent of course.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Love these, great eye. So jealous of that deep blue sky!

@W, a good DSLR makes a difference, and now is the time to get one one sale. I love my Canon. I think Gob shoots Nikon. Not really a ton of difference, and even the entry level camera (anywhere from 500-800 for body and 1 or 2 lenses) can make great shots. Lots of the tricks though, are in the "processing" -- its also amazing what you can do with just a bit of cropping or adjustment in something as simple as iPhoto (or whatever the microsoft equivalent is). You don't need to get fancy.

I do recommend an entry level course on manual photos with your DSLR. It helps understand how the camera works, and how to set up shots, but you can still take brilliant photos on all auto settings.

Canon used to sell refurbed packages factory direct from their website, if you're looking for the best buy. Maybe @Santa would let you pick out one for Christmas!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanks all!!

TPFKA@W, I am self taught, but use youtube tutorials to learn new things, brilliant resource.

I also like sticking my images up on sites like this, my blog, and the climbing ones I frequent, so as to get feedback.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

As I recall, you have a Canon, don't you Gob? I remember you paying an arm and a leg for it... literally.... :D

Gob

Post by Gob »

Yup, Canon 5D MkIII, with a 17-40 wide angle and a 70-300 mm telephoto, (both Canon,) brilliant kit.

And, yes, my bike crash compo did pay for it!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

The 5D Mk III is a lovely camera. Mine is more modest but I submit I do some good work with it !
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

You've shared some lovely stuff here!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The sad thing is... it just ain't cricket
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

The sad thing is... it just ain't cricket
Even in a "time lapse" setting, the pictures of cricket would not be blurry.

I have an old Minolta X700 SLR. <====notice there is no "D" in front of that. It takes film and you can't just take shot after shot of the same thing and see which one is the best. Well you can but it gets expensive. :mrgreen:

sits on my closet shelf most all of the time :shrug