Some days, you just get lucky

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Gob

Some days, you just get lucky

Post by Gob »

from my dog walk yesterday

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Re: Some days, you just get lucky

Post by Joe Guy »

If you look real close you can see a weasel on that bird's back.

(beautiful pics they are...)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice shots, and nice place to ramble!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Nice pix. That's a kookaburra in Number 2, right? What's the eagle-y vulture-y thing at the bottom?
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanks all.

Sue, it is a male Kookaburra, and that's a juvenile wedge tail eagle, (shot at the extreme range of my telephoto lens unfortunately.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I like the grasshopper.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote: that's a juvenile wedge tail eagle, (shot at the extreme range of my telephoto lens unfortunately.)
Interesting bird; from the Wiki link:
They are highly aerial, soaring for hours on end without wingbeat or effort, regularly reaching 1,800 metres (5,900 ft) and sometimes considerably higher. The purpose of this very high flight is unknown. Their keen eyesight extends into the infrared and ultraviolet bands. This helps them spot prey and allows them to see rising thermals, which they can use to gain altitude while expending little energy.

The wedge-tailed eagle is the only bird that has a reputation for attacking hang gliders and paragliders (presumably defending its territory). There are recorded cases of the birds damaging the fabric of these gliders with their talons. An example of an attack on a Paraglider can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX2O1XQ-b08
I have always been fascinated by creatures with extended range of vision or more highly defined visual sensitivity than we humans have. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to see in the ultraviolet and infrared ends of the visible light spectrum, or to see in radio waves or gamma rays? I heard a radio show once describing a butterfly's visual acuity as orders of magnitude beyond ours; they are able to see dozens of different shades within a band of light that we could not distinguish as more than one color.
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

The purpose of this very high flight is unknown.
My guess: just because it's a lot of fun!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sue U wrote: The wedge-tailed eagle is the only bird that has a reputation for attacking hang gliders and paragliders (presumably defending its territory). There are recorded cases of the birds damaging the fabric of these gliders with their talons. An example of an attack on a Paraglider can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX2O1XQ-b08
I have flown in the same thermals as them, I wouldn't have if I had seen that video! :shock: