The further adventures of locationgal

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
BoSoxGal

The further adventures of locationgal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Well, my law practice is a bust - for real. The phone rang like crazy in the beginning, but after a short time it became clear that PAYING clients were few & far between. I thought I'd make a modest living - keep the lights on and kibble on the table - through contract work with the state public defender, but it seems the agency has gotten wise to the fact that by hiring staff attorneys for conflict cases, they can save a ton of money over paying contract attorneys hourly & reimbursing travel, too. There will still be some contract work, going to attorneys longest on the roster - which is not yours truly.

If all that weren't bad enough, I was just diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, relapsing/remitting. I've been experiencing symptoms on and off for several years, but had docs that misdiagnosed them as attributable to other issues. In the past two years I've had significantly greater problems with muscle strength/mobility and cognition/vision, etc. and my body's response to various meds have given my docs/neuro docs 95% confidence in the diagnosis. My most recent relapse, which began while I was on vacation back east, has found me having to walk with a cane at times in recent weeks.

So I'm sorry for not sharing before my fear and apprehension over what was happening to my body, but at least now you all might understand my occasional departures from mere asshole into flaming asshole.

I'm moving home to New England to be near family/dear friends, and I am quitting the active practice of law, as the condition is much exacerbated by stress and I don't know any litigators who don't operate at a high stress level 90% of the time.

I have no idea what it's going to be like trying to find 'other' work with a JD in this economy; I'm very anxious because I know the big secret of our profession is that there are now, since 2008, thousands upon thousands of attorneys underemployed and unemployed, with 45k new ones being graduated every year. I have a lot of various experience and hope I might get into policy work or nonprofit management or who knows, but starting out for the next year or so I'll be glad for anything at all - former elected officials and the self-employed can't get UI benefits, so I'm going out there with just my robe and my open bowl, and hoping the universe will fill it.

When I get where I'm going, hopefully I can change my moniker, as I'll no longer be bigskygal. I'm starting out with dear friends in Maine - should be there by early-mid December - and will go from there to where my new work life takes me - but staying in New England, so I am near family and dear friends should I begin to require more support and assistance.

I don't expect everyone to weigh in with supportive posts, but I'd sure appreciate an absence of mean spirited comments or trolling in this thread. I'm sharing because this place has been a big part of my life and because I wanted folks to understand why I've been not quite myself at times over the past few years - and although I'm working very hard to come to terms with and/or be accepting of my damaged body and broken dreams, it's very hard and sometimes I'm sure I will still experience flaming assholery - apologies in advance for that, and belatedly for past wrongs.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Re: The further adventures of locationgal

Post by wesw »

hang in there.

we re all in this together.

I m pulling for you.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That's a whole load to carry one at a time, let alone all at once. God bless and may all things work for the good.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

that's tough BSG; I wish you well in your trying to reduce stress and finding the right position. It's not easy to do, but it's worth it in the long run.

As for UI, might you still be able to collect it from your work as an ADA; even if you quit, you might be able to given that your self employment period was not all that long. Check into it as well as short term disability based on your condition. Unemployment/disability laws are pretty crazy, so you never know.

All the best.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Sorry to hear about your health and business down turns bigskygal.
I will be praying for you and sending good thoughts your way. did they get there yet :mrgreen:
Maine in December? You are heartier than you think and you will come through the other side.
Take it a day by day. Give love and joy and it will be returned with dividends.
Good luck in your latest "adventure" and keep us informed.
If you need a shoulder, or just an ear, send me a PM.
I do care.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sorry to hear of your personal and professional situation. Best wishes on your transition moving back to the country of pointed firs.

kristina

Post by kristina »

That's a lot to be coping with all at once, bsg.

I hope the move to Maine goes as smoothly as any move can, and that the decrease in stress level helps.

All the best,

--k

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

kristina wrote:That's a lot to be coping with all at once, bsg.

I hope the move to Maine goes as smoothly as any move can, and that the decrease in stress level helps.

All the best,

--k
I can't improve on that...

All the best to you BSG.
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Good luck to you BSG. Be well.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Best of luck!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

What kristina said...(well, yeah, what everyone else said, too).

So sorry to hear about so much heavy stuff landing on you all at once, and thank you for trusting all of us here enough to share with us. I can't promise any prayers, but I'll do my best to add to the good thoughts others are sending in your direction. Best of luck and best of wishes, especially with regards to your health. Getting those stress levels down sounds like a good idea, and I expect you will be able to make yourself a healthier, happier life back home away from the wilds (and crazies) of Montana.

(As far as employment is concerned, when you're ready you might want to give a shout out to AndyH and see if he knows of anything that fits your needs and talents; I think he has a lot of experience, knowledge, and contacts in the sorts of fields you might like to work in. Just a thought.)

Here's a song for you:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I'm in the Granite State. PM me if you need anything. Yes, this is a serious offer.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Thanks Jarl, I appreciate that!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I just submitted my final billing on the last cases I had with the public defender; I have a will signing later in the week and then I'll be officially done practicing law.

I have two job interviews set up in Maine for early January; both with nonprofits, one which is somewhat law-related, but my position would be administrative and 3/4 time with long weekends open for bartending/waitressing; the other which is not at all law related, and so incredibly cool I daren't speak of it, as I don't want to jinx it.

Either job I'd be working with lots of - pretty much only - crunchy liberals, so that would be divine after 8 years in rural Montana! 8-)

I can almost feel the fog and smell the balsam fir/ocean mix that is Downeast Maine's constant aroma . . . locationgal's going home to the Atlantic, at last. :mrgreen:
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

a fellow crunchy?

Lostone

Post by Lostone »

There are crunchy liberals in Maine further east than Farmington? Didn't think that was legal. :lol:

Good luck!
You still can't argue with a dream.
or
Gravity . . . It's not just a concept. It's the LAW!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Tons of them all along the coast, thank goodness!

Today was a terrible awful no good day, I was wracked with MS related anxiety (which I never used to get) and consequent muscles spasms and pain, brought on by packing and purging. Thank goddesses or God that I had my dearest friend here to help, or it would not have gotten done! I'm going to miss her. :cry:

Tomorrow at the PO will be an expensive nightmare, but then just pack my truck and I'm on my way. To the ocean!!!
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I'd be working with lots of - pretty much only - crunchy liberals, so that would be divine
Not exactly my idea of heaven... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Lord Jim wrote:
I'd be working with lots of - pretty much only - crunchy liberals, so that would be divine
Not exactly my idea of heaven... 8-)
no kidding. I might prefer major dental work.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Left at 9:15am, parked for the night at 1:15am (2:15 CST) Sioux Falls, SD.

A number of stops along the way, to visit a dear friend and my favorite Thai restaurant in Billings.

Watching cable TV trying to unwind enough to sleep. Hoping to get back on the road by noon at latest and drive about 12 hours before sleeping again.
~ Carl Sagan